Joe Girard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe was debilitated by covid this year. He has asthma. It affected his breathing and he was extremely exhausted. He couldn’t see people or interact. He got out of shape. He missed playing in front of people. I don’t know why we can’t see what he does next year. He had some great games last year and was the best darn free throw shooter on the team.
He’s also like 5’10, average quickness, with at times insane shot selection though.

Joe was debilitated by covid this year. He has asthma. It affected his breathing and he was extremely exhausted. He couldn’t see people or interact. He got out of shape. He missed playing in front of people. I don’t know why we can’t see what he does next year. He had some great games last year and was the best darn free throw shooter on the team.
I’m an asthmatic, as is my 23 year old son. We both had COVID, and it hospitalized both of us. 3 months after having COVID, we are both still having lung related issues.

He's just limited physically. It's not his fault that we have to have this conversation, but he is in no way a starting caliber ACC G, imo. He could improve and become one, but I'd honestly be shocked at this point.

The last quarter of last year he was the same free throw shooter as this year. He’s just capped at the level he is, he’s a 10 minute ACC guy you hope hits a few threes a game and that’s it, ask him for more and you can’t fault him.

Far too often we seem to end up trying to play a 2 guard at the 1, hoping for the best. In these situations, the key is that the player knows his limitations, plays within himself, doesn't do anything risky/stupid, and is content to facilitate in a very non-flashy way.

Joe Girard unfortunately does not heed that advice. He's a backup 2 who should get 10-15 minutes a game in a specific role.

Far too often we seem to end up trying to play a 2 guard at the 1, hoping for the best. In these situations, the key is that the player knows his limitations, plays within himself, doesn't do anything risky/stupid, and is content to facilitate in a very non-flashy way.

Joe Girard unfortunately does not heed that advice. He's a backup 2 who should get 10-15 minutes a game in a specific role

While he didnt have a good game he was the only one out there who could knock down a jumpshot... and in a game that you score 46 points i think youd have to take it. There clear reason we lost is there were to many times that we were held scoreless. And as good as Richmond was defensively and passing we couldnt knock down a shot to save our lives. Girard was only one out there that could last night

While he didnt have a good game he was the only one out there who could knock down a jumpshot... and in a game that you score 46 points i think youd have to take it. There clear reason we lost is there were to many times that we were held scoreless. And as good as Richmond was defensively and passing we couldnt knock down a shot to save our lives. Girard was only one out there that could last night
Kadary was 3-for-3 from 3 in the tournament.

He should. JB is loyal to his guys though so it’s hard to imagine him cutting down JGs role at all
Don't disagree with the JB loyalty part and I wouldn't venture a guess at exactly seeing Girard's role cut to 10 mpg next season. That said, JB did cut back on Girard's role this season. If you look at his splits, he was at between 30-31 (30.4) mpg from nov - jan. In Feb/March, he was down to 25 mpg (24.5).

Now Kadary's overall numbers didn't jump quite as substantially in that span. Nov-Jan he was at 20.8, Feb/March he was at 21.3. But, if you take into account Kadary was clearly battling some knee pain in March, it makes a little more sense. He averaged just 13.3 mpg in those games. But if he's hurting, that makes some sense.

Ultimately I don't see Joe being stripped to a 10 mpg-type role, but I ave a hard time imagining Kadary not playing 25 were he to return. I'd see more like a 25/15 split, if I was guessing, with JB riding Joe in games where he was shooting the ball well.

As a side note -- I thought Kadary's defense was a little inconsistent during the postseason. He had just two steals and two blocks in those six games. Obviously his minutes were down and he was hurting. Maybe he was frustrated and it impacted his play a bit as well? Not sure. But he wasn't quite as effective on the defensive end the last six games for whatever reason (and, to be sure, some of those reasons may be more than just excuses).

my biggest problem with girard is his hair. He needs a better hairstyle. I feel like that would help his game a lot. I'm not even sure what he's doing up there.

Otherwise, I like him as a back-up. No issues. He's certainly not what you want as your starting PG, but he can give minutes - and likely that's all he was intended for when he was brought in.
If he would shave that thing off his chin, he would probably be better. Also doesn't help that he's sporting a 1990's hair doo.

my biggest problem with girard is he doesnt let the game come to him. if he hasnt taken a shot in awhile hes gonna jack 1 up. if he makes a shot then next time down hes gonna have a heat check. or drive in the lane and be in no man’s land among the trees. you can see a bad girard shot or play coming from a mile away. he thinks hes better than he is alot of times.
Are you sure you weren't talking about Griffin??

When it was 20-20, there were a possessions where Joe jacked some really bad shots early in the shot clock, one off of a break and one off of a board from his first miss. Buddy was wide open on both shots and there were inside players open on both shots. The right play on both shots was to pass the ball and Joe chose to shoot it instead. Shortly after that possession, Houston went on a 10-0 run and the game was effectively over.

I won’t say that if Joe had made the right play at that point in time the Orange would have won or even that Buddy would hit those shots. But those are exactly the type of plays we couldn’t afford against a really stingy Houston team where every possession was critical. Girard has consistently demonstrated this year that he will make the wrong play at the wrong time given enough chances.

Having said all this, I hope he comes back and plays like he did when he was a freshman when he was in a bit more control. I wonder if having competition for his spot is bringing out the worst in Joe.

Joe was not the problem last night, and indeed throughout the season, IMO.
All faith in JB, but I can’t blame the kid for being asked to play a role he’s not best suited for- that’s on the HC.
I’ve never given two shakes about who starts but it’s obvious JB’s philosophy for most of the season was “Joe’s the starter, until...”. Early on it was “no matter what”, later it became “until he does something stupid”. Maybe he needed to learn to trust KR more to pull Joe, but the flip-side to that was “If Joe’s playing well, he stays in”, which translates to less PT for Kadary.
Now the word is if KR is gone, it’s not about PT. I’d guess it’d be more about his relationship w/ JB, who can be an acquired taste to say the least. If he’s lost KR, that’d be a shame, but we'll survive. We always do.

This board complains whenever there is an upstate NY player making shots for another team. We get an upstate guy and now want him off the team.
Joe dug us out of a deep hole last year when Carey sucked so bad. That wasn’t joe fault and it wasn’t the plan for him originally to be a 4 yr starter. I think that earned JB trust. Many of his faults were hidden by Hughes point forward ability though.
I do agree there is no reason he should start over kadary but to cast him off seems like an overreaction.
I had this thought a few dys ago. Get him and he's not good enough, don't and it's "SU can't recruit in their own back yard ". I also agree that he really got hit by the lack of practice and Covid. Last year he could hit free throws with his eyes closed by muscle memory. People wanted him to get stronger but then his bulked up muscles just didn't want to work together.

Ill give him a shot. But needs to come back in the best shape of his life

If Joe starts next year, it will be more of the same. The problem is that I don't know if Boeheim will have it in him to un-start him OR if Joe will be able to handle that after being a starter for 2 years. He's used to being the man. It will be very interesting for sure. One thing we know, if Kadary isn't in the starting five, we have a serious problem.

He’s also like 5’10, average quickness, with at times insane shot selection though.
Joe is a 3rd guard as an underclassmen who in a good program becomes an upperclassmen starter.

He should never be a 4 year starter playing starter minutes 4 years.

He is completely in the wrong role and JB stuck by him.
If that loses us Kadary I will be strongly angry.

I don’t think in the next 3 years Joe will be able to do what Kadary could do next year if he was a high minutes starter.

Joe is hot or cold player.

This board complains whenever there is an upstate NY player making shots for another team. We get an upstate guy and now want him off the team.
Joe dug us out of a deep hole last year when Carey sucked so bad. That wasn’t joe fault and it wasn’t the plan for him originally to be a 4 yr starter. I think that earned JB trust. Many of his faults were hidden by Hughes point forward ability though.
I do agree there is no reason he should start over kadary but to cast him off seems like an overreaction.

I had this thought a few dys ago. Get him and he's not good enough, don't and it's "SU can't recruit in their own back yard ". I also agree that he really got hit by the lack of practice and Covid. Last year he could hit free throws with his eyes closed by muscle memory. People wanted him to get stronger but then his bulked up muscles just didn't want to work together.

I don't think this is an accurate representation of what people think. I'm pretty sure that everyone wants Joe to be on the team. It's his role on the team that people despise. It can be both things. I very much dislike him as a starting PG but am completely happy with him as a 3rd guard and I think those 2 feelings are the same for most folks on here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom