Joe Girard | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, yes? We had the fourth overall pick in the draft and he started 0 games for us, averaged 24 minutes, and backed up Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche.

The fourth overall pick.
Thank god I wasn’t on this board at that time. In more reasonable places, no one had an issue with the backcourt minutes that season. Dion finished almost every game. And he would have averaged more minutes that season but we blew out so many teams, he didn’t need to play heavy minutes a lot. In the big games he was in there 30+ minutes.

triche started every game even though we all knew there were better players behind him. kinda proves rather than refutes the original point. everyone back i'd doubt kadary starts. SCOOP THERE IT IS !

like the 2-3 zone, people scream for more bench and less 38mpg players every year.
People scream for more bench and less 38 mpg players every year for a reason.

The zone is more effective with better players fit to play it, just as man is. I would like to see more variety in defense as it helps throw opposing teams off. Like it would if we played primarily man.

However, the bench being underutilized is a big problem.

triche started every game even though we all knew there were better players behind him. kinda proves rather than refutes the original point. everyone back i'd doubt kadary starts.
I would counter the Allen Griffin example. But I am more along your line of thinking. I don't think Joe comes out of the starting lineup. I hope I am wrong.

some people here wanted more bench all season. we started winning when he used more bench.
Welcome back. welcome back. your dreams were your ticket out. You were missed. Sort of.

Not exact comparisons. But Josh Wright, Allen Griffin, Michael Edwards, Matt Roe and lots of other guys moved to the bench after starting when we brought in a guy or developed a player who was better than them. Triche still started as a junior but got less minutes than Dion, and Joe isn’t as good an overall player as Triche.
There not exact comparisons because it doesn’t happen. Edwards is the closest comp and that was once 30 years ago. Joe is starting next year.

I think you know that isn't fair. He got covid and from what I have heard, he got it pretty bad. Knocked the stuffing out of him. There was a world wide pandemic.
COVID did not impact the decision to take shots at inopportune times all season along, and did not impact his 5-10 height.

I think you know that isn't fair. He got covid and from what I have heard, he got it pretty bad. Knocked the stuffing out of him. There was a world wide pandemic.
It may not be, but I just don’t see what he is physically or mentally capable of improving. A lot of his issues are the poor shots and decisions.

Umm, yes? We had the fourth overall pick in the draft and he started 0 games for us, averaged 24 minutes, and backed up Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche.

The fourth overall pick.
And that team suffered because of that. I think we wree barely .500 Oh wait, we went 34-3 and the reason we lost wasn't because of Dion's playing time it was because we lost Fab Melo.
34-3

I’m an asthmatic, as is my 23 year old son. We both had COVID, and it hospitalized both of us. 3 months after having COVID, we are both still having lung related issues.
This is what drives me nuts when people try to treat Covid as a binary issue: either you die or you're fine. It's so much more complex than that. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that.

I would counter the Allen Griffin example. But I am more along your line of thinking. I don't think Joe comes out of the starting lineup. I hope I am wrong.
i would add also that allen griffin had an amazing season when he returned as the starter. it ain't all bad.

COVID did not impact the decision to take shots at inopportune times all season along, and did not impact his 5-10 height.
LOL Unreal. You have no idea how covid effected him. No idea at all. Neither do I by the way. And I guess we should never recruit a 5:10 guard again. At least according to you.

LOL Unreal. You have no idea how covid effected him. No idea at all. Neither do I by the way. And I guess we should never recruit a 5:10 guard again. At least according to you.
Do you believe he took bad shots all year because of COVID? Do you want to blame his poor decision making on that? Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I mean, as long as we're playing the zone, it's probably a good idea to try to get guards taller than 5'10".

Then he shouldn’t have played as much as he did.

This is what I don't get. If he was knocked out by COVID, why was JB still running him out there so much?

Either JB doesn't care about Joe's health or he wasn't hit that hard.

Listen, if the kid had it bad, he should have been given all the runway he needed to appropriately get better. Especially if he has asthma. No Syracuse game is worth someone's life.

Thank god I wasn’t on this board at that time. In more reasonable places, no one had an issue with the backcourt minutes that season. Dion finished almost every game. And he would have averaged more minutes that season but we blew out so many teams, he didn’t need to play heavy minutes a lot. In the big games he was in there 30+ minutes.
He played 27 minutes against Wisconsin and 20 against Ohio State. I know he was in bad foul trouble against Ohio State, but he picked up his fourth with ~12 minutes left. I don't recall when he got back in, but he probably only played something like 16 of the first 28 minutes.

Joe hit some shots in this tournament, but the fact remains that when we play him we are sitting our best player -- Kadary -- for our worst player.

Exactly. You can't have it both ways.

Either he was impacted by COVID and shouldn't have played the minutes he did. Or COVID isn't an excuse as he played 30+ minutes per game.

And either way, there is an issue.
Without looking it up. how many games did Joe play more than 30 minutes. Not counting Rutgers?

Joe hit some shots in this tournament, but the fact remains that when we play him we are sitting our best player -- Kadary -- for our worst player.
Kadray wasn't our best player. I know the board loves him but he just wasn't.

Boeheim really has to thread the needle in these exit interviews. I could see a scenario where both leave and that's even more disastrous than one of them leaving. The problem is we don't know the players' thinking. It could be you promise the starting role to Kadary but if Joe's still around, he doesn't believe it. Likewise, if you claim that there will be a competition for the starting role in the Fall, it may be that both of them think it's best to go somewhere else to get more guarantees and a fresh start.

We also have no idea what kind of tampering is going on behind the scenes. As a coach you've got to keep one eye on your roster and one eye on the portal and hope you're not left standing when the music stops. Boeheim's gotta work harder this offseason than he has in years to keep the wheels from coming off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom