Joel Berry returning | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Joel Berry returning

A buddy of mine txted me in Hawaii when they were there. Called bs on the height listing.

My bigger point is there really doesn't seem to be much difference with him, Berry, and Paige. Measurables aren't off the charts (like a Mali or Grant).
I don't see a reason for them to lie at the combine. The whole point is that they get objective measurements of prospects. I trust their measuring tapes over your friend's eye meter.

I don't know why GM's liked Ennis. Maybe they saw something that trumped measureables. Regardless, my point is the same. Despite his production and success, Berry is probably not rated as a higher prospect because of his measureables whereas we've lost a ton of less skilled/developed players because of their favorable measureables.

What people also overlook is that 16 of the 60 NBA picks last year (27%) were International players who never even played college ball. Actually 26 foreign born players (over 43%) were drafted overall, 15 or 50% in the first round.

There are currently 113 foreign born players out of 420 players or 27% in the NBA. The demographics of the NBA are changing and changing very fast. Less and less American born players are being drafted, less sticking in the NBA. There has to be a reason these players are becoming more and more desirable. If I was in the business, I'd take the time to find out why.

Despite the new 'test the waters' rule enacted last year to curb 'unready' players from leaving, a record number of 30 early entry players went undrafted. The previous record of undrafted early entry players was 17. Lots of delusion to go around.
The league is a throwaway league. "We're not paying that much the first couple years, so if they flop, no big deal. We'll draft another one next year." It's like a sales agency that hires 5 salesman for one fulltime position. Throw 'em to the wolves, see which one survives, and forget about the rest.

They'd rather make a mistake on undeveloped potential than be the team that passed on the future superstar because he wasn't ready yet,

I wonder why more kids don't just stay in school, fall to the second round, and hope they find the right fit on the right team that can just cut them at will.

Discussing why he stayed is sort of missing the point, IMO. That he stayed and entered the league as a polished player despite his second-round status and is well on his way to potentially earning a big second deal is the interesting part. I don't blame Mali for leaving and it very well could have been the 'right' decision. The seemingly universal viewpoint that somehow you get better b/c you're practicing against really good players and the idea that your draft status should be the only factor in your decision, simply don't hold water with me.

Why Malcolm Brogdon stayed is relevant because he was brought up by Brian in comparison to Mali.

and will be playing in college.

Isn't Malcolm Brogdon the guy who helped Mal punch his ticket? I mean Brogdon was the ACC defensive player of the year and Mal showed that he has the skills to be unstoppable on offense.

Kind of ironic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom