John Beilein | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

John Beilein

Could he be an advisor of sorts for SU next year? Thinking outside the box, seems like two college greats are better than 1... and back to his coaching roots?

Story is that players were playing thug music in the locker room to mock him.

Classy bunch.

That was an incredibly stupid, overblown "controversy." It doesn't even make sense in the context that he was speaking to call them thugs. Just a bunch of disgruntled sub-par players on a crappy team looking for a way to get rid of the coach who wants them to work hard.
Ehhh I think it makes more sense than you're giving it credit for. I would probably agree it was overblown but when relations are already dicey and the team is slipping away (for whatever reasons) the old white guy saying they were playing like thugs is a bad slip up.

He never stood a chance, to no fault of his own, but there would be at least some minor uproar if Jimmy B told our guys they were playing like thugs so I get it.

That was an incredibly stupid, overblown "controversy." It doesn't even make sense in the context that he was speaking to call them thugs. Just a bunch of disgruntled sub-par players on a crappy team looking for a way to get rid of the coach who wants them to work hard.

Oh please. Overblown to who? We know what thugs means.

Work hard? Yeah, the same coach had them running practice multiple times per day to the point they couldn't compete in the Summer League due to fatigue. Worked so hard that one of their first round picks developed a stress fracture.

Board is soft on him because he has local roots. Bailed on Michigan because that team wasn't good enough to do anything this season and learned the hard way, much like Nick Saban, that the pros are players leagues.

Oh please. Overblown to who? We know what thugs means.

Work hard? Yeah, the same coach had them running practice multiple times per day to the point they couldn't compete in the Summer League due to fatigue. Worked so hard that one of their first round picks developed a stress fracture.

Board is soft on him because he has local roots. Bailed on Michigan because that team wasn't good enough to do anything this season and learned the hard way, much like Nick Saban, that the pros are players leagues.

Explain to me how thugs makes sense in the context that it was supposedly said. The Cavs suck. They have garbage players that didn't want to put in extra work. They took a Freudian slip and ran directly to the media with it like John Beilein - who has absolutely zero history of racial remarks and is almost universally beloved by his former players - was a racist slave driver. It's complete and total BS.

You know absolutely nothing about why he left Michigan. It had zero to do with the talent that was on that team - and that is 100% a fact. The only thing that he has learned with this short stint is that the Cavaliers are a dreadful franchise that only had any success because of Lebron.

Everything about this Cleveland story is ridiculous.

Embarrassing for everyone involved.

All this talk about “Mamba Mentality” in the wake of Kobe’s death... How about the Cavs players sit that conversation out, because those players come across as the opposite of what Kobe stands for.

1582153953581.png

Explain to me how thugs makes sense in the context that it was supposedly said. The Cavs suck. They have garbage players that didn't want to put in extra work. They took a Freudian slip and ran directly to the media with it like John Beilein - who has absolutely zero history of racial remarks and is almost universally beloved by his former players - was a racist slave driver. It's complete and total BS.

You know absolutely nothing about why he left Michigan. It had zero to do with the talent that was on that team - and that is 100% a fact. The only thing that he has learned with this short stint is that the Cavaliers are a dreadful franchise that only had any success because of Lebron.

A Freudian slip. You do know what that means right? He thinks of them as that on a subconscious level. Terrible spin, but I digress. Almost as much sympathy on here for him as there is for his pill popping son.

A Freudian slip. You do know what that means right? He thinks of them as that on a subconscious level. Terrible spin, but I digress. Almost as much sympathy on here for him as there is for his pill popping son.
This is one of those rare times when I wish there was a dislike option on this site

The fact of the matter is that you know absolutely nothing about what you are speaking of. Your opinion on this issue is completely worthless. Just an absolute trash take from someone with zero knowledge.

Explain to me how thugs makes sense in the context that it was supposedly said. The Cavs suck. They have garbage players that didn't want to put in extra work.
Playing like thugs could mean playing like it’s streetball, to give him the best benefit of the doubt. It doesn’t make any less sense than saying they were playing like slugs and that’s not really a controversial opinion.

Playing like thugs could mean playing like it’s streetball, to give him the best benefit of the doubt. It doesn’t make any less sense than saying they were playing like slugs and that’s not really a controversial opinion.

Actually, playing like slugs makes total sense in the context that he was questioning their effort. The whole issue the entire time Beilein has been coach is that the players felt he worked them too hard and wanted max effort from them all game every game.

Did I miss the part where he specifically pointed out that only the black players were playing like thugs while Kevin Love, Cedi Osman and Matthew Dellavadova were playing like the scrappy, hardworking guys that they are?

Actually, playing like slugs makes total sense in the context that he was questioning their effort. The whole issue the entire time Beilein has been coach is that the players felt he worked them too hard and wanted max effort from them all game every game.

Did I miss the part where he specifically pointed out that only the black players were playing like thugs while Kevin Love, Cedi Osman and Matthew Dellavadova were playing like the scrappy, hardworking guys that they are?
Or they weren’t running any offense and playing lackluster defense giving way to the interpretation I gave? I’m not saying you’re wrong but I don’t think you’re considering the other side of it.

I’m cool with defending him but putting all of the blame off of him isn’t quite fair either. Some of those “garbage players” have NBA championship rings. I get a good chunk of their roster is young or below average guys and the organization is a mess but maybe he just doesn’t fit the mold of a NBA coach?

There is. View the site in 'Pub Only' mode and dislike away.
I guess that's technically called 'Angry' but it's close enough.
And yes, I just responded to my own post. It was only a matter of time.

Or they weren’t running any offense and playing lackluster defense giving way to the interpretation I gave? I’m not saying you’re wrong but I don’t think you’re considering the other side of it.

I’m cool with defending him but putting all of the blame off of him isn’t quite fair either. Some of those “garbage players” have NBA championship rings. I get a good chunk of their roster is young or below average guys and the organization is a mess but maybe he just doesn’t fit the mold of a NBA coach?

I don't disagree that some of the blame falls on him as well. Obviously he wasn't able to adapt to the NBA style just as much as the players had no interest in adapting to his style. But I'm not gonna sit here and listen to people disparage him and call him a racist when they don't know the man at all and have absolutely zero clue what they are talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom