John Belein? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Belein?

How’s Paulus doing this year?
Better but not ready yet. He coached a great game against Siena the other day where Niagara outplayed Siena in the 2nd half to win. Niagara was playing man, but everytime Siena threw the ball into their big center, Niagara would triple team and make the Siena offense ineffective. I've never seen it done so well. Almost like man sliding into a triangle and two.

If we're throwing names against the wall to see what sticks, how about Patrick Beilein?
I believe the requirement is that the prospective coach must have watched the moon landing on a TV set he bought with his own money.

If we're fishing in the tar pits for our next HC give me Bo Ryan. Better win % than Beilein Sr and JB, with arguably less talent on his roster.

Red is 50+ and has never been a HC. Hop flamed out. Hire outside the damn lettermen. Such a dysfunctional, provincial athletic department.
It’s amazing how often the best possible candidate for a job just happens to already work in a lesser capacity at that same job

Can we be a little more original?
Boeheim
Beilein
Old
Old
Plays zone
Plays some zone

People are not on board with Red? He was an assistant coach elsewhere, then came back.

If we are going non-P5 I think the guy from Siena has done an excellent job at a place that is not easy to recruit. If we steal a P5 guy the guy at KSU or ISU would intrigue me. Personally I want nobody who grew up here, went here, or has worked under JB. I want a fresh start.

If we are going non-P5 I think the guy from Siena has done an excellent job at a place that is not easy to recruit. If we steal a P5 guy the guy at KSU or ISU would intrigue me. Personally I want nobody who grew up here, went here, or has worked under JB. I want a fresh start.
We’re not getting anyone from a P5 program that has been successful enough for us to want him. Tang and Otzelberger, no way we have a shot.

We’re not getting anyone from a P5 program that has been successful enough for us to want him. Tang and Otzelberger, no way we have a shot.
“ I’ll order the Otzelberger with cheese “

To drink?

“Do you have Tang?”

Beilein left because he hated where recruiting was going. Hard pass for me. He's part of the old guard.
That was my recollection also. Not sure John is dying to come back to college - and that was before NIL become legal.

People are not on board with Red? He was an assistant coach elsewhere, then came back.
If I’m interviewing Red he would have to knock my socks off with his plan for the future direction of the program. It’s a rebuild now. Not a let’s keep this going.

He’d also have to impress me with his explanation as to why he’s been middle management his entire career.

How about a stop gap like Lou Carnesecca? Knows the big east, can recruit nyc…
Ted Lasso.

We should hire Ted Lasso.

ms-teams-banging-head-on-wall-emoji.gif

Why?
Well think about it from their perspective, why would young successful P5 coaches like Otzelberger and Tang leave for what can only be considered as a rebuilding program. If they keep on winning for a few more years, they’d start being considered for Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc type jobs. Why risk that to jump to a program like ours that may as a brand be only marginally better than KSU or ISU, and is going to be a multiple year rebuild and the chance they go .500 here for the next 4 years, get fired, and lose all the shine they currently have.

If I’m interviewing Red he would have to knock my socks off with his plan for the future direction of the program. It’s a rebuild now. Not a let’s keep this going.

He’d also have to impress me with his explanation as to why he’s been middle management his entire career.
To be fair to Red.

Tang was a long time assistant. He was an assistant at Baylor from 2003-2022.

Tommy Lloyd was assistant at Gonzaga from 2001-2021.

Not that he would be my choice because he wouldn’t be. But being a long time assistant doesn’t disqualify you from being successful.

To be fair to Red.

Tang was a long time assistant. He was an assistant at Baylor from 2003-2022.

Tommy Lloyd was assistant at Gonzaga from 2001-2021.

Not that he would be my choice because he wouldn’t be. But being a long time assistant doesn’t disqualify you from being successful.
Did not say it did. I would just like to know his thought process.

Well think about it from their perspective, why would young successful P5 coaches like Otzelberger and Tang leave for what can only be considered as a rebuilding program. If they keep on winning for a few more years, they’d start being considered for Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc type jobs. Why risk that to jump to a program like ours that may as a brand be only marginally better than KSU or ISU, and is going to be a multiple year rebuild and the chance they go .500 here for the next 4 years, get fired, and lose all the shine they currently have.

There is no such thing as a multi year rebuild in NCAA basketball anymore with NIL and the portal.

The new coach is getting 2-3 years to win up to the programs standards. Hopefully we can lock in someone good with only a 4-5 year offer.

Well think about it from their perspective, why would young successful P5 coaches like Otzelberger and Tang leave for what can only be considered as a rebuilding program
A lot of coaches want the opportunity to prove that they are the best and can work their magic anywhere. More money and more prestige. Look at a guy like Theo Epstein, he could have stayed in Boston until they pulled him out of the office on a stretcher, but he decided that he was going to Chicago to win Series in a city that hadn't had a champion for a century.

any new guy worth his salt can have this program turned around in 2 years tops. The modern world is almost taking rebuild out of the sports dictionary. SU brand (though currently fading) is a ton better than KSU or ISU. The only reason they wouldn't come is because we went cheap and if that is the case we should get out of the game.

A lot of coaches want the opportunity to prove that they are the best and can work their magic anywhere. More money and more prestige. Look at a guy like Theo Epstein, he could have stayed in Boston until they pulled him out of the office on a stretcher, but he decided that he was going to Chicago to win Series in a city that hadn't had a champion for a century.

He also got a lot more money in Chicago.

Jeff Capel SU Coach?

Why not? He is a current example of how the modern recruiting game is played.

I will have an open mind if hired and hope he succeeds but it's an uninspiring hire, doesn't move the needle nationally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom