John Wildhack | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack

If the basketball team was playing the way we've come to expect for the past 35 years or so, this wouldn't even be a question. Football team hits a not unexpected speed bump but I dont think anybody has lost faith in Dino (and if they have, then there's no pleasing those people), lax team doesn't dominate anymore but its still one of the top programs in the country year-in and year-out.

Since I attribute the hoops team's recent subpar performances to issues beyond the current AD's control (sanctions, multiple players over multiple years leaving the program 2-3 years earlier than expected), I think he's doing a fabulous job and Syracuse is lucky to have him.

The Dome renovation is a HUGE undertaking and incredibly important to not only the athletic department's future success but the University's as well. The fact that it is actually happening as I type this is a testament to Wildhack's leadership. The guy is supremely qualified for the job, is passionate about the school and knows what he's doing.

Take a look at the resumes of some of John's hires since he's been here. As CEO he has built an incredibly impressive team. Hate to call out names, but I've personally heard Scott Hecht and Jordan Kligerman say they are here because "John called me." And while he did not hire Dino, they have developed a great relationship that undoubtedly helped quell the possibilities of Dino looking for greener pastures when he was such a hot coaching commodity last year at this time.

The unique thing about John is that he is primarily a fan above all else. He's incredibly generous with his time and actively seeks out opportunities to interact with fans and supporters of all levels. He responds to emails within minutes and is genuinely interested in the fan perception and experience.

IMHO we could not be in better hands.

ALL of this.

The problem is definitely not with the AD. The school looks like it is making moves to restore the lacrosse program. I think football may still be on the right track. The mens' basketball problems are a whole other ball of wax, and I am not sure he can do much about it. I think, overall, he is a great AD.

Much of the recent “problems” with the lacrosse program are due to changes associated with the tremendous growth of the sport across the country at both the high school and college level.

SU can no longer get a bunch of guys from West Genny HS and a small group of HS in the NYC suburbs and Northern NYS and dominate the sport.

Much of the recent “problems” with the lacrosse program are due to changes associated with the tremendous growth of the sport across the country at both the high school and college level.

SU can no longer get a bunch of guys from West Genny HS and a small group of HS in the NYC suburbs and Northern NYS and dominate the sport.
Most reasonable post youve had this week.

since mike leveille several ny/jersey/ penn kids winning the tewaarton . pond is certainly bigger but we ain't even landing the talent right off our own dock. used to be the sales pitch was "come play in the final 4" .
once you get knocked off that hill it's a tough climb back up. and that applies to hoops as well.
used to be you booked a room in NYC pretty confident you'd be playing in the BET finals. we're lucky to win one game ACCT . you call that the growth of the sport or have we simply fallen way back down the hill ?

Last edited:
If the basketball team was playing the way we've come to expect for the past 35 years or so, this wouldn't even be a question. Football team hits a not unexpected speed bump but I dont think anybody has lost faith in Dino (and if they have, then there's no pleasing those people), lax team doesn't dominate anymore but its still one of the top programs in the country year-in and year-out.

Since I attribute the hoops team's recent subpar performances to issues beyond the current AD's control (sanctions, multiple players over multiple years leaving the program 2-3 years earlier than expected), I think he's doing a fabulous job and Syracuse is lucky to have him.

The Dome renovation is a HUGE undertaking and incredibly important to not only the athletic department's future success but the University's as well. The fact that it is actually happening as I type this is a testament to Wildhack's leadership. The guy is supremely qualified for the job, is passionate about the school and knows what he's doing.

well said

You're right about email. I emailed him one night about the ACC Network with a Spectrum question. He responded the next morning before 8 am. He wasn't positive about the answer, but he copied someone from the ACC office who was able to help.
My only gripe is my seeming lack of ability to watch SU sports on TV anymore

Take a look at the resumes of some of John's hires since he's been here. As CEO he has built an incredibly impressive team. Hate to call out names, but I've personally heard Scott Hecht and Jordan Kligerman say they are here because "John called me." And while he did not hire Dino, they have developed a great relationship that undoubtedly helped quell the possibilities of Dino looking for greener pastures when he was such a hot coaching commodity last year at this time.

The unique thing about John is that he is primarily a fan above all else. He's incredibly generous with his time and actively seeks out opportunities to interact with fans and supporters of all levels. He responds to emails within minutes and is genuinely interested in the fan perception and experience.

IMHO we could not be in better hands.

Agree 100 percent. He’s built a great staff. And there was a reason he was so successful at ESPN. We are very lucky to have him.

Also, as the article notes, he gets the importance of fundraising unlike Gross who turned off donors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom