John Wildhack | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack

Good response. I’m seriously asking BC as close as I am to the b-ball program and positive things are said there about him, I truly just wonder what everyone’s take is ...
People are mad and lashing out. I get the exasperation. But Wildhack has done everything people on this board have been clamoring about for years. Dino is not failing because he doesn’t have the resources. He has more than any SU coach in history. It’s on him.

Ways in which Wildhack could have really impressed me -
1. Brand new stadium rising out of the ground at Destiny or S. Campus
2. Terrific, long term apparel deal
3. Football team doesn't suck
4. Women's soccer team doesn't suck

People are mad and lashing out. I get the exasperation. But Wildhack has done everything people on this board have been clamoring about for years. Dino is not failing because he doesn’t have the resources. He has more than any SU coach in history. It’s on him.
Totally agree

If Babers gets two more years and we still suck, the program will be dead. You will see less fans than the O gets in total yards. We cannot survive 2 more years of this. No alumnus/fan will want to donate to the program let alone attend a game. You can't suck for 25 years and offer no hope and expect loyalty. No coach would touch this job. It will be hard enough waiting one more season, but two will be final nail.
If Dino can’t turn this around next year he should be fired after this year.
You only bring him back if you can win next year which would be his 6th year.
It sets the program back even more.

The only guy who has any shot of having a winning season next year is Dino. Fire him now and next year is a rebuild where 2-3 wins is likely the ceiling.

Personally I don’t buy into the “setting the program back”narrative. Set back to what? It’s an arbitrary timeline. If Dino comes back and we have a lousy year, then you move on and start anew. What are we “back” from in that scenario?

Ways in which Wildhack could have really impressed me -
1. Brand new stadium rising out of the ground at Destiny or S. Campus
2. Terrific, long term apparel deal
3. Football team doesn't suck
4. Women's soccer team doesn't suck

If Wildhack could have pulled $800 million out of his ass for a new stadium, I think we all would have been impressed.

Oh I agree. If the money is there he 110% should be fired this year. I don't think the money is there. The question is will it be after next season? Wildhack has 12 months to fundraise to buy Dino out. Let's hope he can pull it off.

The only guy who has any shot of having a winning season next year is Dino. Fire him now and next year is a rebuild where 2-3 wins is likely the ceiling.

Personally I don’t buy into the “setting the program back”narrative. Set back to what? It’s an arbitrary timeline. If Dino comes back and we have a lousy year, then you move on and start anew. What are we “back” from in that scenario?

The longer you wait the worse the leftover talent is. That is setting the program back. The O talent cannot get any worse than it is. The D certainly can. If we lose kids this class and have no kids next class we will have crap for upperclassmen in a few years.

We only had 42,000 fans attend on a Friday Night for Dungey's last game. If the narrative now is that Dungey was the reason for that magical season, why didn't more fans attend Dungey's final home game?
"We had 42,000 FANS attend...!" There I fixed it for you. I understand nothing but sellouts are good enough for you but don't insult the 42,000 Syracuse fans that were there just because you wish there were 7,000 more people like them! And when you jack around with the sport for TV and play games on Friday nights you have to expect some trade off.

Oh I agree. If the money is there he 110% should be fired this year. I don't think the money is there. The question is will it be after next season? Wildhack has 12 months to fundraise to buy Dino out. Let's hope he can pull it off.
Reality check. One does not conduct a fund-raising campaign to buy out a coach. One essentially raises money for "positive" things, such as facilities. If someone wants to contribute money towards a buyout fund, so be it. But it has never been on a school's priority list in a fund-raising campaign.

Last edited:
If Wildhack could have pulled $800 million out of his ass for a new stadium, I think we all would have been impressed.
So NY State wasn't trying to hand us a check?
How's that unusually short Nike deal going to work out for us in the near future?

Your move

We have Regressed SIGNIFICANTLY since 2018 and look like the WORST P5 team in college football. I really like Dino as a person but he’s not cutting it as a coach. For God’s Sake we are getting BLOWN OUT by a 2 win team on national TV. Damien Rhodes is out here blasting the offense in Twitter. I would say he officially lost the fan base and alumni. The team is next. I don’t see this getting any better. Your move Wildhack

An anomalous season.

Dino will be fine.

The longer you wait the worse the leftover talent is. That is setting the program back. The O talent cannot get any worse than it is. The D certainly can. If we lose kids this class and have no kids next class we will have crap for upperclassmen in a few years.
I’m on record as thinking our recruiting is annuallly overrated by this board, and typically among the worst in the conference. So I guess I find that argument unconvincing. Maybe I’m wrong, who knows?

I’m on record as thinking our recruiting is annuallly overrated by this board, and typically among the worst in the conference. So I guess I find that argument unconvincing. Maybe I’m wrong, who knows?
Offense yes
Defense, we have NFL talent

Schiano has turned Rutgers from historically bad in the Big Ten to competitive in one year.
I don’t buy what you say.
Only Dino could win next year.
The question is can Dino win next year.
I can deal with losing this year but the coaching staff has done a terrible job.
The players aren’t the biggest issue this year.

"We had 42,000 FANS attend...!" There I fixed it for you. I understand nothing but sellouts are good enough for you but don't insult the 42,000 Syracuse fans that were there just because you wish there were 7,000 more people like them! And when you jack around with the sport for TV and play games on Friday nights you have to expect some trade off.

I never said I expected a sell out for Dungey's last game. But I also think we could've done better than 42k for Dungey's last home game which was on a Friday night primetime game.

Reality check. One does not conduct a fund-raising campaign to buy out a coach. One essentially raises money for "positive" things, such as facilities. If someone wants to contribute money towards a buyout fund, so be it. But it has never been on a school's priority list in a fund-raising campaign.

Are you allotted to say if we can afford Dino’s buyout after this season or is that entirely impossible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Schiano has turned Rutgers from historically bad in the Big Ten to competitive in one year.
I don’t buy what you say.
Only Dino could win next year.
The question is can Dino win next year.
I can deal with losing this year but the coaching staff has done a terrible job.
The players aren’t the biggest issue this year.
If DB is gone and a new coach comes in we go 4-8 but actually are competitive playing hard and look good I'd take that, if DB if fired we probably don't make a bowl but I didn't hear anyone making that argument for SS who's last season was a lot better than this.