John Wildhack | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack

Schiano has turned Rutgers from historically bad in the Big Ten to competitive in one year.
I don’t buy what you say.
Only Dino could win next year.
The question is can Dino win next year.
I can deal with losing this year but the coaching staff has done a terrible job.
The players aren’t the biggest issue this year.
Isn’t Rutgers 1-3? My point is that if you bring in a new coach there is almost no way SU is going to get 6 wins next year. That coach is going to want to purge the roster, implement new schemes, and the like.

I’m not at all convinced Dino can win next year, but he clearly has a better chance at it than starting over

To be fair. The big time Donors and I mean big bucks donors have the money to. It's pocket change to them. Not trying to tell Donors how to spend their money but if you have the money to better your school and your football program which you root for and have passion for you do it.

He should be fired for giving babers that contract, he's done a nice job overall but his biggest and most important decision he royally f'ed up. Name the blue blood that even had an opening in 2018 yet wanted dino, especially at the time of the signing, I wanted dino extended but DB's agent took JW to the wood shed.
Football is the number one thing for an AD and he totally screwed it up... NOW if he gets donors to fund a buyout that's a different story, he's been better than his predecessors and I'm more coming from the standpoint that next year is terrible and DB is still here because of the contract.
It wasn’t to just protect against the 2018 season. He’s trying to build the future of Cuse football which we all thought was Dino so to protect the investments he was making he but that in. It literally happens in all football coaches contracts, it’s super rare to fire an AD over that type of an issue. Would be absolutely insane to fire him over it.

Reality check. One does not conduct a fund-raising campaign to buy out a coach. One essentially raises money for "positive" things, such as facilities. If someone wants to contribute money towards a buyout fund, so be it. But it has never been on a school's priority list in a fund-raising campaign.
Not being argumentative but are you sure every SEC school can say that? ;)

To be fair. The big time Donors and I mean big bucks donors have the money to. It's pocket change to them. Not trying to tell Donors how to spend their money but if you have the money to better your school and your football program which you root for and have passion for you do it.
If SU had donors where buying out this coach was “pocket change” then we’d be a helluva lot better program than we are. I don’t think people understand our booster base at all.

this isn’t the SEC, people aren’t paying a 16 mil buyout for a private U

Isn’t Rutgers 1-3? My point is that if you bring in a new coach there is almost no way SU is going to get 6 wins next year. That coach is going to want to purge the roster, implement new schemes, and the like.

I’m not at all convinced Dino can win next year, but he clearly has a better chance at it than starting over
Rutgers beat Michigan State.
They competed hard against Indiana and at Ohio State.
They lost to Illinois at the very end.
If you can’t see they have gone from laughing stock to competitive I can’t tell you.

I don’t think Dino is the only coach that can next year is the point.
He has lost the benefit of the doubt.

To a coach you has admitted to hating recruiting.
HARD PASS

However, look what we had to recruit with and look at his results. Then compare it to what Dino has. And no, the ACC ain’t some gauntlet either.

An anomalous season.

Dino will be fine.

Perhaps you need another losing season next year, making it 5 out of 6 for you to sway from that train of thought? But, no doubt “Dino will be fine” regardless with all that $$$ he’s guaranteed by the university. Highway robbery if you ask me.

Last edited:
If you can’t see they have gone from laughing stock to competitive I can’t tell you.

In fairness to me, I don’t spent 3 seconds watching Rutgers football. That sounds like a colossal waste of time when one could be watching paint dry, or clipping their toe nails.

He should be fired for giving babers that contract, he's done a nice job overall but his biggest and most important decision he royally f'ed up. Name the blue blood that even had an opening in 2018 yet wanted dino, especially at the time of the signing, I wanted dino extended but DB's agent took JW to the wood shed.
Football is the number one thing for an AD and he totally screwed it up... NOW if he gets donors to fund a buyout that's a different story, he's been better than his predecessors and I'm more coming from the standpoint that next year is terrible and DB is still here because of the contract.

As CTO posted above, AD's do NOT solicit money from "big money donors" for a buyout.

If this were Texas or Notre Dame or some other SEC school, the big donors might get together on their own and pass the hat.

But since this is Syracuse, there are no whales. There will be no "donor funded" buyout.

In a year where most of us are barely keeping our heads above water, I'd think our major donors have more important things to worry about.

It wasn’t to just protect against the 2018 season. He’s trying to build the future of Cuse football which we all thought was Dino so to protect the investments he was making he but that in. It literally happens in all football coaches contracts, it’s super rare to fire an AD over that type of an issue. Would be absolutely insane to fire him over it.
No. There were no schools that would've got him after 18, makes no sense to give him that deal when you don't have to, don't forget it's a business and if we win 10 in 19 and USC comes open he would've bolted in a second. The fact your trying to defend JW giving him the contract is perplexing to me. You don't give him that deal when it's clear your not in danger of a blue blood going after him.

In fairness to me, I don’t spent 3 seconds watching Rutgers football. That sounds like a colossal waste of time when one could be watching paint dry, or clipping their toe nails.
You said Dino was the only one who could win here next year.
My point is coaching matters. See Rutgers going from historic laughing stock to competitive in one year.
Dino and his staff have done a terrible job and I mean calling it terrible is an insult to terrible.
The players on this team deserve better from them this year.

Dino isn’t the only coach who can win here next year. The question is does JW want to make a change and can he afford it.

As CTO posted above, AD's do NOT solicit money from "big money donors" for a buyout.

If this were Texas or Notre Dame or some other SEC school, the big donors might get together on their own and pass the hat.

But since this is Syracuse, there are no whales. There will be no "donor funded" buyout.

In a year where most of us are barely keeping our heads above water, I'd think our major donors have more important things to worry about.
This is the exactly right.

No. There were no schools that would've got him after 18, makes no sense to give him that deal when you don't have to, don't forget it's a business and if we win 10 in 19 and USC comes open he would've bolted in a second. The fact your trying to defend JW giving him the contract is perplexing to me. You don't give him that deal when it's clear your not in danger of a blue blood going after him.
So we shouldn’t have given Dino a contract?
I mean sure that’s a take, I guess.

Dino couldn't hold gregs jockstrap. If your feeling down this might raise you spirits lol.

Fairly certain South Carolina was considering Dino, or at least it was wide conjecture prior to 2019

You said Dino was the only one who could win here next year.
My point is coaching matters.
Dino and his staff have done a terrible job and I mean calling it terrible is an insult to terrible.
The players on this team deserve better from them this year.

Dino isn’t the only coach who can win here next year. The question is does JW want to make a change and can he afford if.
We can disagree. It’s OK. Given our awful situations all over the O, I would expect any new coach to come in and purge the roster on that side of the ball, and install a totally different scheme. Seems unlikely that would spawn 6 wins.

If all we’re talking about is the odds of getting 6 wins next year, I’d take Dino vs the field. Not because I think Dino is doing a good job, just because I think the 10% chance he has is better than the 7% chance a new coach has.

anyway, it doesn’t matter. Dino’s coming back.

So we shouldn’t have given Dino a contract?
I mean sure that’s a take, I guess.
No we shouldn't have given dino a 25 million dollar ish extension for 6 years all guarenteed, you want to add some years and a raise fine, JW isn't the one that hired him but DB won at E ILL because he had jimmy g who was a junior waiting on him and brought in a brand new system, won at BG with all clawsons players and the ruined the program in the process, and had 9 wins at that point. He'd done nothing to deserve that contract. Further research would show how badly he failed as OC with texas a&m and guess what the numbers his offense put up their are very similar to our last two offensive years here. So no he should not have gotten a 6 year 4 million+ contract a season, HELL NO!!