John Wildhack | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack

Really have to wonder what everyone thought would happen...new OC and DC in the same year...thin roster and COVID...lots of things to pick at but this was always going to be a diaster
Not an excuse, everyone has had to deal with covid, how about sam pitttman at arkansas, lane kiffin taking over for matt luke at ole miss, both with 10x harder schedules and turnarounds, i could go on and on, look at BC. Covid is no excuse for being this bad

Dino needs to fire Cav. The guy isnt ever going to get it done here. Im sure because of his wife's situation the school could provide him with a good severance package including health insurance so he and his family are cared for but from a purely professional perspective he needs to be replaced.

Dino just needs a QB. We got the pieces on D. We get some guys back on oline next year. Running backs look loaded and WRs should be solid. The issue is QB. Its been shaky ever since Dungey left. We need to hit transfer portal hard and pickup one or 2 guys (Schrader?) that can come in here and give us consistent production.
The issue is the OLine IMO.

JWs mistake was giving Dino a four year extension, Syracuse can not afford to give long extensions, because then you can not afford to terminate that coach.
Exactly. If we can't afford to pull the plug we can't offer the long term deal. JW has two years he better have a list started.

JW is running the athletic department in a more coherent way than anyone has in 20 years. He got Dino everything he wanted: better facilities, a bigger staff budget, etc. That Dino vomited on all of that is a different problem.

The rage at JW is misplaced IMHO.
Agreed. One caveat however, Having not grown up through the AD ranks, I’m not sure he can walk into a locker room, draw from past experiences to see where they problem lies and the way to fix it.

Agreed. One caveat however, Having not grown up through the AD ranks, I’m not sure he can walk into a locker room, draw from past experiences to see where they problem lies and the way to fix it.
That’s fair. I got the sense that last year his role was to ask Dino what he needed, and commandeer the resources to get that accomplished. Hence why we ended up with new, well paid coordinators.

Wait, you think the team is next? Pretty sure that bus is already rolling. 2 guys left the program to declare for the draft mid season. I know Cisco was injured. But that isn’t a good look. That is not the sign of a cohesive team that is in this together. A TON of INDIVIDUALS on this team, we do not play as a team IMO.

Kids are doing that across the country on teams that are up, in the middle, and down. It's not close to unique. It's a sign that players with a future in the sport consider their future in the sport and understand that part of the sport is that you risk that future every time you step on the field.

It's not a sign of anything.

Don't judge the covid season, no matter how bad it has been. If Dino goes sub .500 in 2021 then we can talk new coaches.

Don't judge the covid season, no matter how bad it has been. If Dino goes sub .500 in 2021 then we can talk new coaches.
If we looked like a functional team I wouldn’t care if we lost. I thought this was a dead season.

Our offense is so bad, so not even close to FBS quality, and we have no depth to feel confident at the positions that sounds alarm bells.

This season has been so bad it’s not hard to question if next year will be any better. Outside of Sean Tucker and Luke Benson I don’t think any one on this offense will be ready for next year.

You do not seem to understand, it is not the won/loss record, it is lack of team discipline, horrendous tackling technique, vanilla offensive game plans, his excuses for poor performance without taking any responsibility, and his offense is no longer fast but boring. He failed to develope an offensive line after having five years to do so.
I got news for you he will not be fired and we will go through a similar year next year. His performance has been poor for five years rescued by Dungey and Shafer holdovers in 2018. I have had it with him, saying that I pray i am totally wrong because I would like nothing more than for him to get off his butt and turn things around.

What a busy body post.

The team stays together and is healthy next year, this is a 8 win roster. He's doing what I said he should do from the start, treat this as a scrimmage and play everybody. Last night is what happens.

Over half that team was playing HS football last year. They are learning, but that's not the biggest issue. These are solid 3 star recruits, kids that need development, with no spring and summer program vs college jrs and seniors.

If next year two or three freshmen are playing because they are ready vs I'm going to guess almost the whole of this last class, the team will be fine. SU is NEVER going to recruit 20 game ready freshmen in a class, it just isn't.

Panicked reaction to this extreme set of circumstances, throwing away the youth movement investment because there aren't immediate returns and hitting the reset button is stupid.

Now if Taj gets replaced with an upgrade I wouldn't be disappointed.

Last edited:
What a busy body post.
I think Bear is 100% right. I see a team that has zero discipline and no team chemistry. Now I see some individuals playing hard no matter but he has lost that team. Is as plain as day. He has to go buyout or not. Terrible in game decisions. I could go on and on.

I think Bear is 100% right. I see a team that has zero discipline and no team chemistry. Now I see some individuals playing hard no matter but he has lost that team. Is as plain as day. He has to go buyout or not. Terrible in game decisions. I could go on and on.

Yeah, who cares? Most of the best players are out. Sometimes it’s just a bad year.

If we looked like a functional team I wouldn’t care if we lost. I thought this was a dead season.

Our offense is so bad, so not even close to FBS quality, and we have no depth to feel confident at the positions that sounds alarm bells.

This season has been so bad it’s not hard to question if next year will be any better. Outside of Sean Tucker and Luke Benson I don’t think any one on this offense will be ready for next year.

Our O isn't FCS level. This season is one big practice so Ws and Ls don't really matter. On D we are getting good reps and it will pay off going forward. The issue is that on O we aren't getting many reps and when we do get reps they are awful reps due to the dysfunction. There is no way for the kids to actually get better. It is sad that in year 6 we have to hope for a competitive 3-9 season as our ceiling. Given what we are working with on O it will be hard to achieve any more than that.

The O talent is a joke even with everyone healthy. We really need to bring in a transfer dual threat QB, solid guy on the OL, and a playmaking WR. We also need to tell Taj to move on. We have given him chance after chance. His antics shouldn't be acceptable and I am sure cause division on the team. Be a football coach and set an example Dino.

The O coaching is a joke. All five years the team looks disorganized, confused, and undisciplined. That is on the coaching. If our players looked well coached and put up 250 yards in a game, we could all live with it. But when they can't get 150 yards against bad football teams and look totally unprepared even with 2 weeks time, it is totally unacceptable.

The O system and play calling are not putting the players in the best position to be successful. I am critical of TD but the coaches do him no favors calling the plays they do. Our play calling actually seems to expose our weaknesses instead of trying to hide them.

The game plan last night was inexcusable. Playing a team that going in had a worse run D than us in conference play and we with a true frosh QB on the road refuse to pound the football over and over again. It is just utter stupidity.

We rarely seem to have a plan on O and look like we are winging it half the time. That shouldn't be. The team looks to never be prepped. That shouldn't be.

We are so far from functional on O that it would be impossible to think we can get to 6 Ws next year with this coaching staff.

I am all for allowing Dino next year to right the ship but I have very little faith he can do the job given the last 22 games. If we see a well coached team with a functional O that is competitive in most game and gets 5 wins, he should stay. But if we are dysfunctional and ill prepared and get 5 Ws, he should be let go.

You would expect that after 6 seasons a HC at SU would have at least a .500 record. Dino would need to go 13-2 going forward to get there. Think about that folks.

Also has a HC every brought his team from mediocre to being one of the worst teams in the FBS and recovered? As far as I can tell it has never happened. Coaches have started at the bottom and brought their team up, but I haven't found an example of a HC taking their team to the bottom and then recovering.

Yeah, who cares? Most of the best players are out. Sometimes it’s just a bad year.
Did you have the same opinion last year when a team coming off a 10-3 year and a big bowl win with an established coach in his 4th and a 3rd year QB who saw a lot of PT the year before went down to Maryland and were thoroughly humiliated by a middling Maryland team? Or, maybe you forgot about that.

Did you have the same opinion last year when a team coming off a 10-3 year and a big bowl win with an established coach in his 4th and a 3rd year QB who saw a lot of PT the year before went down to Maryland and were thoroughly humiliated by a middling Maryland team? Or, maybe you forgot about that.

Ohhhhhhh, snap. You got me there.

The team stays together and is healthy next year, this is a 8 win roster. He's doing what I said he should do from the start, treat this as a scrimmage and play everybody. Last night is what happens.

Over half that team was playing HS football last year. They are learning, but that's not the biggest issue. These are solid 3 star recruits, kids that need development, with no spring and summer program vs college jrs and seniors.

If next year two or three freshmen are playing because they are ready vs I'm going to guess almost the whole of this last class, the team will be fine. SU is NEVER going to recruit 20 game ready freshmen in a class, it just isn't.

Panicked reaction to this extreme set of circumstances, throwing away the youth movement investment because there aren't immediate returns and hittimg the reset button is stupid.

Now if Taj gets replaced with an upgrade I wouldn't be disappointed.
Now I've read it all. You have to be kidding me. Panicked reaction? Wow. Are you Dino's mother? This team couldn't win 8 games in Conference USA. Let's try to double our win total next year first.

Isn’t Rutgers 1-3? My point is that if you bring in a new coach there is almost no way SU is going to get 6 wins next year. That coach is going to want to purge the roster, implement new schemes, and the like.

I’m not at all convinced Dino can win next year, but he clearly has a better chance at it than starting over

And the problem?

Now I've read it all. You have to be kidding me. Panicked reaction? Wow. Are you Dino's mother? This team couldn't win 8 games in Conference USA. Let's try to double our win total next year first.

This team this year, yes, but who cares.

The offense is missing 4 plugs on an 8 cylinder engine.

Based on what this program under Dino has been able to do with a full complement I believe that's the core issue.

Now if the issue is the timing and fuel mix the question is, is the mechanic on staff that can tune the engine. Based on the unavailability of key pieces for most of the year it's impossible to address that next order question in my opinion.