Jon Bol Ajak | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jon Bol Ajak

Marek, beginning with freshman year, is savvy/good hoop IQ, fills stat sheet with few bad T/O's.
I consider Marek a "smart player".
Therefore his ongoing issue with stupid fouls is mystifying!

He's got the yips, Knoblauchitis, unexplained compulsion to commit stupid fouls when there is no possible play or advantage to be gained.

Marek has to be much better next year. He’s been very inconsistent and his fouling is maddening. He has to develop a jumper and get stronger. The status quo isn’t good enough. He’s another player that should be a 25-30 minute player, not 35-40 even without foul trouble.

If its been over 4 months, since he decided to redshirt, and he’s been committed to a D1 university strength and nutrition program, I see no reason to doubt those numbers. The kid’s likely never lifted in his life.

30 pounds would certainly involve a high caloric intake to put on that much size and that would probably involve putting on some fat in some places

Matt Gutierrez has an article about JBA on The Athletic:
“He’s not a very explosive guy,” Griffin says. “Playing off two feet, getting stronger, he’ll be able to power through. He can pass out of the high post, and he has good shooting touch. He has very good skill for a guy his size. The thing is how much more explosive and strong he can be. That will determine how effective he could be on the offensive end.”
There's more.

Didnt want to clutter the Frank thread more but figured we could talk and revisit some stuff on JBA here. Nice clip of him to remind some of his shooting/mobility. Then again, hes bigger and stronger now so hopefully that didnt hinder his mobility any.

So I know these were shared already in his original recruiting thread but with it being locked and all the talk going on in the Frank thread I figured it would be nice to revisit some of his tape. Love his skillset and think he will be really good for us. A year of getting bigger and stronger and learning our system as well as getting healthy. Might be a big surprise hopefully.

The talk In the frank thread was if he was a decent candidate to play the 4 at all for us at some point. I'm wondering how mobile he is especially after gaining some strength/weight this year and how his handle actually is. Hes a big unknown in this puzzle. I've always liked his game...will be interesting to see how he does this season and if he will be a contributor in some way. Kid can definitely stretch the floor though which is nice to have a big that can do that.

Last edited:
He plays below the rim he probably doesn't jump as high as any of the centers or forwards on the team, for him to play forward he has to beat out one of the forwards for PT not to mention Edwards.

That doesn't mean he can't play but the less athletic you are the more skilled you have to be.

He plays below the rim he probably doesn't jump as high as any of the centers or forwards on the team, for him to play forward he has to beat out one of the forwards for PT not to mention Edwards.

That doesn't mean he can't play but the less athletic you are the more skilled you have to be.
Gotta remember too tho that a lot of these videos are old and he was rehabbing off his injury (I think it was a Achilles or ankle/foot type)

Hopefully hes healthier then ever and after a year of strength and conditioning with our program maybe hes a bit more explosive. Or above the rim a little lol. It will be interesting to see how the redshirt year helped him.

Our staff was very high on him throughout his entire recruitment and at one point he was starting to get lots of attention from schools. His injury and the timing of it killed his recruitment and our staff stuck with him. I hope hes one that turns out to be real good for us. I know the kid works his ass off.

Gotta remember too tho that a lot of these videos are old and he was rehabbing off his injury (I think it was a Achilles or ankle/foot type)

Hopefully hes healthier then ever and after a year of strength and conditioning with our program maybe hes a bit more explosive. Or above the rim a little lol. It will be interesting to see how the redshirt year helped him.

Our staff was very high on him throughout his entire recruitment and at one point he was starting to get lots of attention from schools. His injury and the timing of it killed his recruitment and our staff stuck with him. I hope hes one that turns out to be real good for us. I know the kid works his ass off.
I hope all our players succeed, but the article regarding his development in the Post Standard didn't give me a warm and fussy, the fact we RS'ed him over Edwards who was the thinner, and I'm guessing the weaker of the two also was a red flag in my mind, lastly our aggressive pursuit for another big man is telling.

All that said big guys take longer to develop he maybe he'll be great for us in his 3rd, 4th, or 5th, that is how it use to work normally... AO year one to AO 5th year senior night and day!

Well we hopefully add frank to the list and we have some options and these young guys will have every opportunity to succeed. I've always liked JBAs game and his ability to shoot...I'm interested to see how he looks on the court. Good stuff happening and fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Didnt want to clutter the Frank thread more but figured we could talk and revisit some stuff on JBA here. Nice clip of him to remind some of his shooting/mobility. Then again, hes bigger and stronger now so hopefully that didnt hinder his mobility any.

Seriously. He's maybe the 'weirdest' recruit i can think of. He looks so big and talented, and yet he wasn't often a starter on his HS team, and took a redshirt for us, and is being 'converted' to a Center? Weird.
I just can't wait to see him play. I have no idea what he can/will be, but i expect big things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom