Jon Bol Ajak | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jon Bol Ajak

Seriously. He's maybe the 'weirdest' recruit i can think of. He looks so big and talented, and yet he wasn't often a starter on his HS team, and took a redshirt for us, and is being 'converted' to a Center? Weird.
I just can't wait to see him play. I have no idea what he can/will be, but i expect big things.
I think/hope he ends up being a real nice player for us. Theres lots to like with his game and I'm hoping the redshirt year was huge for his development.

I think/hope he ends up being a real nice player for us. Theres lots to like with his game and I'm hoping the redshirt year was huge for his development.
Yup. He may not be super quick or explosive, but that feathery, soft, sweet J combined with the size... Potential. I just hope he's not shoehorned into a role he's not physically suited for.

If its been over 4 months, since he decided to redshirt, and he’s been committed to a D1 university strength and nutrition program, I see no reason to doubt those numbers. The kid’s likely never lifted in his life.
I've been in the weight room at Westtown. Of course that doesn't mean JBA spent a lot of time there but the facility is well equipped. I remember suggesting to him to hit the weights before he heads to SU.

the fact we RS'ed him over Edwards who was the thinner, and I'm guessing the weaker of the two also was a red flag in my mind.

I think it may have been more driven by Jesse being able to make the Italy trip while JBA was unable to. Think the plan was to play the one of them that was most ahead developmentally while redshirting the other and the two weeks in Italy gave Edwards the leg up.

If its been over 4 months, since he decided to redshirt, and he’s been committed to a D1 university strength and nutrition program, I see no reason to doubt those numbers. The kid’s likely never lifted in his life.
Or had proper nutrition.

Based on his tape from Westtown he didn't show much of an inside game. I hope he improved his skills in that area during his redshirt year but the remains to be seen. I don't think he's a super athletic guy. He did have a decent outside shot but I suspect with all the shooters on the team he will be more of a physical inside presence and more of a factor on the defensive end.

Why is he fading away from guys 6 inches shorter than him?

As practice for fading away from dudes his same height?

Which don’t grow on trees, when you’re trying to practice your moves at the local gym.

He’s already got more of an outside the paint game now, than RickJack ever had.
And Rick was able to play solid minutes for us at the 4, in addition to being very good at the 5.

JBA is certainly at least as agile as Rick or AO, although they both had 30-40lbs on him.

Color me intrigued.

As practice for fading away from dudes his same height?

Which don’t grow on trees, when you’re trying to practice your moves at the local gym.

He’s already got more of an outside the paint game now, than RickJack ever had.
And Rick was able to play solid minutes for us at the 4, in addition to being very good at the 5.

JBA is certainly at least as agile as Rick or AO, although they both had 30-40lbs on him.

Color me intrigued.
I thought of that after I posted as well. I'm guessing you're correct. Practice as though you're facing another big so it's realistic. Good point.

Shooting looks good. Soft touch on the glass.

Based on his tape from Westtown he didn't show much of an inside game. I hope he improved his skills in that area during his redshirt year but the remains to be seen. I don't think he's a super athletic guy. He did have a decent outside shot but I suspect with all the shooters on the team he will be more of a physical inside presence and more of a factor on the defensive end.
Tough crowd.

QKCBCRXH66W4SI6B4TE76FBYOQ.gif

Listening to, I believe Griff, on Seth’s show today they brought up JBA.

Coach mention JBA is definitely more physical and aggressive than Sidibe is and Chukwu was. While he brings the physical toughness, he doesn’t quite yet have the polished athleticism down low. Gotta say its refreshing hearing that JBA is not afraid to mix it up and bang around down low though.

With this said, Seth also mentioned times he’s seen JBA hitting three after three effortless while shooting around before and after games.

JBA doesn’t regularly practice with the team, as he spends most of his time in the weight room and with recovery (eating). Per Coach he’s added 25-30 lbs of muscle since getting to campus.
Physical play is as much, probably more, about attitude and want to, as it is about a particular physique. We've missed it for a while now. Hopefully he brings something we've needed.

I thought of that after I posted as well. I'm guessing you're correct. Practice as though you're facing another big so it's realistic. Good point.

Shooting looks good. Soft touch on the glass.
They should do what Chaminade did in practice to prep for Ralph Sampson. Hold brooms up in the air.

Those preseason observations that a few on this board are privy to will be really interesting this year. I will be especially interested to hear any observations on guys like Jon Bol, the freshmen, as well as the transfer from Illinois.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom