Jon Stewart going off on the NCAA | Syracusefan.com

Jon Stewart going off on the NCAA

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
The NCAA on student athletes: "If they're broke, why fix it."

I liked most of it except part where they talked about Shabazz Napier and his comment "we can't eat some nights" but I can afford 400 dollar headsets crap, and the stat about where 40 of the 50 states highest paid employee is the football or basketball coach.
Of course Stewart left out all of those coaches probably generate ridiculously more revenue for their state universities than their salaries. Its not like the taxpayers paying those salaries.

Stewart is funny and the NCAA sucks, but these pieces need to be better if they want real change.

I liked most of it except part where they talked about Shabazz Napier and his comment "we can't eat some nights" but I can afford 400 dollar headsets crap, and the stat about where 40 of the 50 states highest paid employee is the football or basketball coach.
Of course Stewart left out all of those coaches probably generate ridiculously more revenue for their state universities than their salaries. Its not like the taxpayers paying those salaries.

Stewart is funny and the NCAA sucks, but these pieces need to be better if they want real change.
I would like to find out more about them not being able to eat.

To be the devil's advocate here, the coaches aren't the ones generating the huge revenues. It's the players and their likenesses that bring in the money. The coach brings them in. Nobody's paying hundreds of dollars to watch a coach coach or buying a jersey representing a coach...

I wonder how many people watching that realize that Jon Stewart himself was an NCAA athlete, albeit on a much smaller scale.

he would probably have a couple of thousand dollars in the bank if we didn't have all those tattoos. I wonder how many video games he has.

The NCAA is making billions of dollars off of these players. Why would they want to change the way the system works for them?

Every facet of the NCAA Tournament has corporate sponsorship. Everyone on every team bench drinks from Powerade cups and each time a school wins the players are wearing Nike caps and T-shirts that proclaim they are going to the Final Four or are national champions. As soon as a round of the tournament ends, I get an email from the NCAA listing all of the new T-shirts they have for sale of all of the winning teams.

Tom Izzo sure was funny dancing on that Werner ladder in those commercials during tournament but he got paid a lot of money for that. When the players cut down the nets after winning a regional or the title, they have to use a pair of Fiskars scissors and stand on one of those Werner ladders because the NCAA is being paid millions by those corporate sponsors.

When you add in the money that is being made from the uniforms and the shoes that the players are wearing and the money that is being paid for corporate sponsorship of everything that surrounds these players, it is a gold mine for the NCAA and the top coaches. Collage basketball games today are awash in corporate logos and ads and the NCAA is making $10.8 billion from CBS and Turner Broadcasting just for the rights to broadcast the men's basketball tournament.

Some people couldn't understand why some of the regional and final four games were not on CBS. It's all about money folks.

Stewart is immune to such criticism. It's fake news, he demurs; it's comedy, you can't hold me to journalistic standards.

He likes to have it both ways - the ability to pontificate to a low-information viewership, and a big rock to hide behind whenever he is called out for being incorrect.

The NCAA is a hypocrisy and I can't wait for the day the big schools break away and form something that will be at least a little bit more honest. But Stewart is a giant hypocrite, too, and nobody should take him seriously until he makes comments like this in a public forum that doesn't offer him his "comedy exemption."

To be the devil's advocate here, the coaches aren't the ones generating the huge revenues. It's the players and their likenesses that bring in the money. The coach brings them in. Nobody's paying hundreds of dollars to watch a coach coach or buying a jersey representing a coach...
Far from being the devil's advocate, I would hope this is a majority view and that people see change is needed.

moqui said:
He likes to have it both ways - the ability to pontificate to a low-information viewership, and a big rock to hide behind whenever he is called out for being incorrect.

Just curious what the demo of his audience is? Not sure they're as low-info as you claim. What data do you have?

How's triple a baseball work out for most of the players? What about all the players who have built up the NCAA for the last hundred years , shouldn't they get compensated first.

I wonder how many people watching that realize that Jon Stewart himself was an NCAA athlete, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Literally… he's 5'5" I think.

I put into motherf@cking space and I had to pay my tuition.

Screw that student "athletes". Get student loans and shut the f@ck up.

Stewart is immune to such criticism. It's fake news, he demurs; it's comedy, you can't hold me to journalistic standards.

The NCAA is a hypocrisy and I can't wait for the day the big schools break away and form something that will be at least a little bit more honest. But Stewart is a giant hypocrite, too, and nobody should take him seriously until he makes comments like this in a public forum that doesn't offer him his "comedy exemption."

I agree with you that Stewart plays the "I'm just a comedian" card way too much and it's annoying/hypocritical. I would disagree that his audience is low-information. Fairleigh Dickinson University did a study a few years back regarding knowledge of domestic political issues, and Fox News viewers were worst, followed by people who didn't watch the news at all, followed by MSNBC, CNN, Talk Radio, the Daily Show, Sunday morning political shows, and then lastly NPR had the most informed audience.

I agree with you that Stewart plays the "I'm just a comedian" card way too much and it's annoying/hypocritical. I would disagree that his audience is low-information. Fairleigh Dickinson University did a study a few years back regarding knowledge of domestic political issues, and Fox News viewers were worst, followed by people who didn't watch the news at all, followed by MSNBC, CNN, Talk Radio, the Daily Show, Sunday morning political shows, and then lastly NPR had the most informed audience.
Gee, a liberal college does a poll that disses Fox news.

Interesting. According to that study, the Daily Show audience knows more about domestic political topics than the people who watch the cable news networks.

It always amazes me that many fans seem to resent so many things about today's players. Maybe it has a lot to do with the times we are living in.

Metaphorically or literally or figuratively put BLEEP into space.

nobody is willing to pay to watch you put crap into space.

Oh come on? Seriously? you should stick to watching Fox News.

Well, I wasn't comparing the Daily Show audience with any other TV oulets; I was just saying that audience is low information. And I stand by that, because I think that everyone who gets their news primarily from TV is low information. The TV format - 30 or 6o minute shows divided into several short segments that do not go into heavy detail (exceptions are rare, like Charley Rose) - is inherently superficial.

Now, I don't know about the survey you are discussing, but I do know the biennial Pew Media Consumption Survey. Their "political knowledge" measure is based on just 4 questions - the most recent (2012) survey questions were: which party controls the House, what is the current unemployment rate, what nation does Angela Merkel lead, and which 2012 presidential candidate wants to raise taxes on the rich. Stewart's audience did pretty good relative to other TV outlets, but nonetheless fewer than 1/3 of them got all four of these exceedingly easy questions correct.

I'm not saying his audience is stupid - I personally know several bright and highly educated people who get their "news" from the Daily Show. But they cannot hold a deep conversation on the issues because their knowledge is superficial (at least partially because, when you get right down to it, so is their interest - they just want to be told comforting "truths"). I imagine the same is true for people who only watch O'Reilly or listen to Limbaugh, but I don't have any of them in my personal circle.

Soccer-John-Stewart-.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom