Jordan Tucker to transfer to Butler | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Tucker to transfer to Butler

Some part of me thinks that K only took him just so we couldn't have him.
I really dont know, but I hope its more of a " Take the best players you can get, and let them sort it out on the court" scenario...and you cant blame a team for that.

Another part of me thinks that maybe Tucker is not that good. It could be a Gbinije situation where it takes a while for things to click.

Hard to blame K for stacking his teams. He's had kids suffer injuries. He always has kids leaving after one year. That's his job: assemble the best and the most bestest, and then get them to coalesce. And he probably told Tucker the truth: You have an honest opportunity to compete for the position. And Tucker probably overestimated his abilities, or underestimated his teammates' abilities and experience. Hard to know how well Tucker would perform before he gets involved in actual practices. Do they work him out as a recruit against real competition? Honest question- do recruits come in and go hard against eventual teammates?

Lastly, you never know how a kid's psychology affects his athletic potential. We saw with Frank Howard how differently he performed from one year to the next.

Hop should have a pretty good shot here
You didn’t follow Tucker’s 2nd recruitment then.
We had a real shot with this kid because JB personally went hard for this kid. JB went to Atlanta several times personally.
Tucker wasn’t a Hop recruit.
I doubt Washington is even on his list.

The kid got the offer and took it.
Good luck to him I don’t blame him for leaving but man finish the year.

Eh I don’t know. These kids are free to do as they please and I won’t pretend that I would have been any smarter at 18.

BUT, this whole situation wreaks of a kid who made a decision that made no sense at the time and then doubled down by clearly running afoul in some way in the first few months on campus and now making a second bizarre decision to compound the error.

Duke’s your dream school. I get it. But let’s go into this with our eyes open. They didn’t recruit you until they lost a player. They also get four 1-and-dones every year. So what does that tell me — at least the 39-year-old Dad in me? You have to go, value the experience/education, work your a$$ off and accept that it will likely be at least a year maybe two before you factor in the rotation.

Not being fully aware of that going in is simply being amazingly naive.

Eh I don’t know. These kids are free to do as they please and I won’t pretend that I would have been any smarter at 18.

BUT, this whole situation wreaks of a kid who made a decision that made no sense at the time and then doubled down by clearly running afoul in some way in the first few months on campus and now making a second bizarre decision to compound the error.

Duke’s your dream school. I get it. But let’s go into this with our eyes open. They didn’t recruit you until they lost a player. They also get four 1-and-dones every year. So what does that tell me — at least the 39-year-old Dad in me? You have to go, value the experience/education, work your a$$ off and accept that it will likely be at least a year maybe two before you factor in the rotation.

Not being fully aware of that going in is simply being amazingly naive.
Kid wanted Duke.
He didn’t realize he would be the 13th scholarship.
He should have realized that when he got the offer but bet on himself showing he was better.
He is the 13th man on a team with 4 lottery picks.
He should have realized he wasn’t likely playing year 1.

Him leaving now is just bizarre as he shouldn’t have expected PT year 1.

Kid wanted Duke.
He should have realized that when he got the offer but bet on himself showing he was better.

Agree on basically all points. But absolutely no reason to expect otherwise. That’s the bizarre point to me. Feel for the kid but really hope it opens his eyes a bit.

If he wanted to play his freshman year, he should have gone elsewhere. Just because a big name comes calling doesn't mean you always answer. He lost a year and now has to work harder.

Kid wanted Duke.

Agreed but he could have been having academic issues or adjustment issues with the school. Kids find that they actually may not feel comfortable someplace after they actually get there and look for something more comfortable. Just conjecture on my part

This result was so obvious to everyone but Tucker. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at St John's or Seton Hall.

Kid wanted Duke.

look, it's one thing not to play behind those guys but walk ons were getting in the game before him.

This result was so obvious to everyone but Tucker. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at St John's or Seton Hall.

Kids believe in themselves. It's a good thing, better than the alternative.

Kids believe in themselves. It's a good thing, better than the alternative.
There’s believing in yourself and there’s being delusional.

The second results in 12th men complaining about their playing time and scrubs taking stupid shots. Gotta be realistic.

Last edited:
Total windfall here - Marek is better right now - certainly better for our system - and his upside is much higher than this kid

If TT’s mom handled things correctly and transferred in the spring like a normal person, we could’ve had both, no?

look, it's one thing not to play behind those guys but walk ons were getting in the game before him.
That happens a lot actually. It’s usually the coach not wanting to embarrass player with mop up duty.

That's what makes me wonder if there was an attitude problem. Seems like we dodged another bullet.

That's what makes me wonder if there was an attitude problem. Seems like we dodged another bullet.

The Duke fan version of events: Played poorly in preseason/exhibition, lost his spot to O’Connell, got pissy and lazy in practice, sunk further down the depth chart, started looking for an out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom