Josh Hough to DL | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Josh Hough to DL

There isn't but for what we require of our front 3 we're always going to be lighter. Guys that are 6'3 300 that play like Darton are few and far between and only go North for O$U and Notre Dame. Rest are SEC bound or Big 12 kids that want to stay close to home.

Feel like Caleb is our prototype for what we want that can play any front 3 position. Imagine 3 of him on the line?
Good points

Good points

You and I have agreed and established the reality of our D Line ad nauseam all throughout the preseason threads and I appreciate that wholeheartedly.

Just simple equation of what our 3-3-5 requires and what is realistically available to fill those spots. Hell if we had UGA 2021 d line players on our roster we'd still want them 20-30 lbs lighter than what they play in the SEC

There isn't but for what we require of our front 3 we're always going to be lighter. Guys that are 6'3 300 that play like Darton are few and far between and only go North for O$U and Notre Dame. Rest are SEC bound or Big 12 kids that want to stay close to home.

Feel like Caleb is our prototype for what we want that can play any front 3 position. Imagine 3 of him on the line?

I don't disagree in the main, but what if we flip a guy like Norman from Florida? 6-5 290 as a HS prospect.

The other thing to consider is that taller players can carry weight differently than shorter players. A guy like Darton needs to be around 265. A guy who's six four or six five could easily be bigger / heavier without sacrificing athleticism.

I certainly agree that historically, we haven't recruited too many blue chip DL. But we've recruited big ends that we grow into athletic defensive tackles, like Bromley, Slayton, McKinley Williams, etc.

A guy like Slayton would be perfect for this defensive scheme, despite being 300 pounds. So it's relative.

Have to hope that the uptick in program perception results in us being able to land either higher rated defensive tackles, or high potential tall kids that we can grow into the position, or high quality portal transfers if it will be your trying to do.

But in the main, agree with many of your points.

Last edited:
I don't disagree in the main, but what if we flip a guy like Norman from Florida? 6-5 290 as a HS prospect.

The other thing to consider is that taller players can carry weight differently than shorter players. A guy like Darton needs to be around 265. A guy who's six four or six five could easily be bigger without sacrificing athleticism.

I certainly agree that historically, we haven't recruited too many blue chip DL. But we've recruited big ends that we grow into athletic defensive tackles, like Bromley, Slayton, McKinley Williams, etc.

A guy like Slayton would be perfect for this diet to skiing, despite being 300 pounds. So it's relative.

To hope that the uptake and program perception results in us being able to land either higher rated defensive tackles, or high potential tall kids that we can grow into the position.

Some tall kids can add weight and some can't. Some heavies can cut weight and some can't. Will always be a mixed bag for us, guess point is ready made P5 DTs don't exist in the NE. We've currently got some STRONG kids in the works around 250 with Jobity, the CCU flip and the Buffalo man child coming in this year. If they never get over 275 they're still not going to be over powered. Slayton and Bear are great target objectives for us as upper classmen, Bromley played in 4 man fronts. Was a beast but not sure he had the agility for 3-3-5

If we keep winning and continue to dominate defensively, walk ons like Kevan Darton will not be our targets for DL, we will get a few HS 6-4 270 who are quick and were targets for top programs. I hope the winning will erase all remnants of our fans ongoing inferiority complex. Players like Will Norman and Jasire Peterson will become commonplace.

If we keep winning and continue to dominate defensively, walk ons like Kevan Darton will not be our targets for DL, we will get a few HS 6-4 270 who are quick and were targets for top programs. I hope the winning will erase all remnants of our fans ongoing inferiority complex. Players like Will Norman and Jasire Peterson will become commonplace.

Just a reality of what exists within 4 hours of campus. Hope we land both but wouldn't trade Kevon Darton for PJ Mustipher despite the 5 inches, 60 pounds and recruiting profiles in Tony White's defense. Mustipher size with Darton skill and drive are going to factory schools with massive NILs

Just a reality of what exists within 4 hours of campus. Hope we land both but wouldn't trade Kevon Darton for PJ Mustipher despite the 5 inches, 60 pounds and recruiting profiles in Tony White's defense. Mustipher size with Darton skill and drive are going to factory schools with massive NILs
It's not either or zero sum: It's both. Yes we will lose some but we'll get some too. This trading someone for someone else is a speculative fairy tale thought process I don't engage in. Win games and continuously get better players going forward, then repeat the process, rinse and repeat.

Yessir. Thats the plan. Darton was not targeted though. He was recuited by Ward. The kid just worked his butt off on scout team and earn some snaps in games.

Last edited:
Yessit. Thats the plan. Darton was not targeted though. He was recuited by Ward. The kid just worked his butt off on scout team and earn some snaps in games.
I'm not going to bad mouth Darton, He's been great. My point is not directed at him but just the correlation between winning and the level of prospects increasing.

I'm not going to bad mouth Darton, He's been great. My point is not directed at him but just the correlation between winning and the level of prospects increasing.
I was just pointing out that he wasn’t a target by this current defensive staff. I don’t think anyone will disagree that bigger prospects will be pursued due to the success.

Look at his previous two posts #91 and #93. He's talking about replacing Tucker next year and the anticipated lack of depth because everyone we have is unproven.
I know ... I read all the messages and the he went from too much workload to worried about depth. I get that ... however just like Allen and Price you have no idea whether Hough would bring anything to the table. You have no idea what he can do at this point ... I would rather grab a new recruit like Daniels or a guy from the portal ... why force Hough back to RB when he isn't even healthy yet? If you are worried about the unknowns how can you not be concerned with a guy coming off a major injury ... that solves nothing.

I know ... I read all the messages and the he went from too much workload to worried about depth. I get that ... however just like Allen and Price you have no idea whether Hough would bring anything to the table. You have no idea what he can do at this point ... I would rather grab a new recruit like Daniels or a guy from the portal ... why force Hough back to RB when he isn't even healthy yet? If you are worried about the unknowns how can you not be concerned with a guy coming off a major injury ... that solves nothing.
I'm not sure anyone was suggesting anything be forced. And his health wasn't part of the equation because it was all about next year when it is presumed he'll be healthy. It was more just spitballing because he's a different style back than everyone else we have. It's a moot point because he's not going back. I'm excited to see how his athleticism can translate to the d line.

I'm not sure anyone was suggesting anything be forced. And his health wasn't part of the equation because it was all about next year when it is presumed he'll be healthy. It was more just spitballing because he's a different style back than everyone else we have. It's a moot point because he's not going back. I'm excited to see how his athleticism can translate to the d line.
How can health not be accounted for when making proposals of that nature? Seems ridiculous honestly.

How can health not be accounted for when making proposals of that nature? Seems ridiculous honestly.
If health is an issue, why talk about him on the d line? If he's going to be healthy enough to play one position, he'll be healthy enough to play another. I'd be more worried about his health on the d line, if I was worried about it at all.

The other thing to consider is that taller players can carry weight differently than shorter players. A guy like Darton needs to be around 265. A guy who's six four or six five could easily be bigger / heavier without sacrificing athleticism.

A guy like Slayton would be perfect for this defensive scheme, despite being 300 pounds. So it's relative.

Have to hope that the uptick in program perception results in us being able to land either higher rated defensive tackles, or high potential tall kids that we can grow into the position, or high quality portal transfers if it will be your trying to do.

But in the main, agree with many of your points.
Steven Clark was ideal for for this defense, guick 290 and very strong.

If health is an issue, why talk about him on the d line? If he's going to be healthy enough to play one position, he'll be healthy enough to play another. I'd be more worried about his health on the d line, if I was worried about it at all.

Because the agility and speed demands for DL are different and that is where he is slated to play. As for his health on DLine it is a concern but the staff moved him there I didn't lobby for it. I'm also not the one worried about RB depth and in turn lobbying we move him back there either ... because as of now it makes no sense.

Because the agility and speed demands for DL are different and that is where he is slated to play. As for his health on DLine it is a concern but the staff moved him there I didn't lobby for it. I'm also not the one worried about RB depth and in turn lobbying we move him back there either ... because as of now it makes no sense.
Health demands are the same regardless. A d lineman is more likely to get his leg rolled up on than a RB, so would be a bigger injury concern, if there was one, which I doubt there is or he wouldn't be running with the scout team.

You're taking this discussion way too seriously. I don't know that anyone was lobbying for anything, more like suggesting. It's not like people have been screaming that he absolutely needs to be there, more like they'd like to see him there. There's a difference.

We're so deep at running back, that our offensive coordinator essentially went without a rb for most of the snaps Sean Tucker missed on Saturday. As of right now, all we add is two quick smurfs next year. Both Parkman and Daniels are smaller than Jahwar Jordan as incoming freshmen; and it took Jordan 3 years in a P5 strength program to just now get ACC ready.

Health demands are the same regardless. A d lineman is more likely to get his leg rolled up on than a RB, so would be a bigger injury concern, if there was one, which I doubt there is or he wouldn't be running with the scout team.

You're taking this discussion way too seriously. I don't know that anyone was lobbying for anything, more like suggesting. It's not like people have been screaming that he absolutely needs to be there, more like they'd like to see him there. There's a difference.
I’m not taking anything seriously, I’m merely responding to you.

We're so deep at running back, that our offensive coordinator essentially went without a rb for most of the snaps Sean Tucker missed on Saturday. As of right now, all we add is two quick smurfs next year. Both Parkman and Daniels are smaller than Jahwar Jordan as incoming freshmen; and it took Jordan 3 years in a P5 strength program to just now get ACC ready.
We are better served hitting the portal and getting a guy like we did Price than we are hoping that Hough returns to RB form. Based on where the staff has him its not hard to envision a portal grab. There will be RBs on the roster next year and the staff may really like what they have. Players make a significant jump between year 1 and 2 so I expect Allen to take off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom