Josh Hough to DL | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Josh Hough to DL

I’m hoping his athleticism works at dt. If he can get his lifting and diet dialed in, he could be an explosive 285 to 290 guy. We need a guy who makes a big difference in middle and that’s not knocking Darton at all. I’m a huge fan of his. I know we like light and quick, just seems we can’t take the physicality injury wise.

He'll need to get down to 265-270 to play regularly in our system.

Not counting any transfer portal guys...

DTs Next year:
  • Lockett
  • Darton
  • Fuentes-Cundiff
  • Bassette
  • Hough
  • Perry

DEs Next year:
  • Okechukwu
  • Geer
  • Linton
  • Simmons
  • Jobity
  • Jasquez
  • Noulton

How granted, there are players who might play multiple positions in White's system [like Okechukwu playing inside on passing downs, Perry maybe playing both DT / DE, etc.].

But that doesn't include any of other "new" faces beyond the existing group, with the exception of incoming frosh Perry.

We also know that Tony White loves rotating parts to keep them fresh -- so he'll play guys if they can contribute. When I look at that list, I see a LOT of guys who can contribute. And LOTS of proven commodities, mixed with newer faces with exciting potential.

DL is loaded for next year. Wish one or two of these guys was a bit more experienced THIS year, given the depth constraints we're facing. But hard not to look at the talent in the pipeline and not conclude that it's both stocked with talent, and the future looks bright.

I don’t think he would even start but I think he could give Locket and Darton a break. Also I think he maybe could see 280 but most likely 285 ish.

That wasn't his point. The point is we don't know if we have a quality player at the position behind him because he has been all of the meaningful production. The few times we've seen anyone else, outside of the wagner game, they've been unproductive. Do we know yet if we have a replacement for him? Hough won't be that guy, but I'll be interested to see if the coaches like who they have or if they go portaling.
Actually he cited a workload that was too high which is false. Whether or not someone is ready IMHO won't change by suddenly sharing the workload. You had an early season Heisman candidate and are 6-0, you ride your horses unless you are up big.

That wasn't his point. The point is we don't know if we have a quality player at the position behind him because he has been all of the meaningful production. The few times we've seen anyone else, outside of the wagner game, they've been unproductive. Do we know yet if we have a replacement for him? Hough won't be that guy, but I'll be interested to see if the coaches like who they have or if they go portaling.
“We” don’t, but that doesn’t mean the staff doesn’t

Actually he cited a workload that was too high which is false. Whether or not someone is ready IMHO won't change by suddenly sharing the workload. You had an early season Heisman candidate and are 6-0, you ride your horses unless you are up big.
He mentioned the workload with reference to why the other guys haven't played and the reason for uncertainty as to whether they're good enough to be replacements for Tucker next year.

He mentioned the workload with reference to why the other guys haven't played and the reason for uncertainty as to whether they're good enough to be replacements for Tucker next year.

"Yes, but that's because we have been lucky with no serious injury to any rbs; and, Sean basically gets the workload of a number 1 AND number 2 rb."

His words not mine and it he said the workload of two RBs ... and again I ask ... you are 6-0 and have a Heisman candidate in your backfield ... should you worry about splitting reps if you aren't blowing a team out? No.

What about the former Syracuse commit 2 years ago who attended Jun ior College in Rochester with plans to enroll at Syracuse after Junior College, That would be Fall 2023. Is he still planning on coming to Cuse?

What about the former Syracuse commit 2 years ago who attended Jun ior College in Rochester with plans to enroll at Syracuse after Junior College, That would be Fall 2023. Is he still planning on coming to Cuse?

Not happening.

"Yes, but that's because we have been lucky with no serious injury to any rbs; and, Sean basically gets the workload of a number 1 AND number 2 rb."

His words not mine and it he said the workload of two RBs ... and again I ask ... you are 6-0 and have a Heisman candidate in your backfield ... should you worry about splitting reps if you aren't blowing a team out? No.
Look at his previous two posts #91 and #93. He's talking about replacing Tucker next year and the anticipated lack of depth because everyone we have is unproven.

I think it's more about speed / athleticism / mobility than weight as a "fixed" criteria.

If a guy is 290 but can move, like Christian Wilkins from Clemson a few years ago -- OF COURSE we'd play him, because he'd have the attributes to be a good system fit.

But a 290 guy who is a fire hydrant with no lateral mobility, like Curtis Harper, doesn't fit what the staff is trying to do.

Question is -- can Hough carry weight and still play like an athlete? Darton slimmed down from close to 300 last year to 267 this year, and it really paid off. Hough is ~ 6 foot 3, so he has the frame to be "bigger" than the 5-11 Darton. But he'll need to be able to not just hold up inside, but also get into the backfield to disrupt plays behind the line of scrimmage if he wants to play. If that requires him to get down to 270, so be it. But if he can play that way at 280+, even better.

I have no problem with Sean's workload this year. I hope he gets 110% of the running back snaps for the rest of the season; the dropoff from Tucker to the next rb is humongous. The convo was about Josh, and how he could fit into the D-Line or rb rooms for next season. I was saying that hopefully he could work his way back to rb, and be a WVU Donaldson type of rb for us.

Quick notes on Barclay and Hough.
Barclay has had a serious cast on his hand. Can’t imagine it’s making his tradition to DL any easier.
Hough has lost weight since the beginning of the season. He appears to be working hard. Watch him jog and move around some. With all due respect to the kid he needs another year to recover from surgery and adjust to his new size. Big offseason coming for Josh.
I saw Barclay on the sidelines and he looks skinny. He's listed at 6-7, 275. I think his frame could use another 25 pounds at least. He's got almost a basketball player's frame.

I saw Barclay on the sidelines and he looks skinny. He's listed at 6-7, 275. I think his frame could use another 25 pounds at least. He's got almost a basketball player's frame.
If the kid has any kind of hands, next stop is TE. Because quite frankly, don't think he can put on the weight to play either side of the line.

The principals on the DL are really, really young. I know that Okechuckwu is a junior -- not sure if he has just 1 or possibly 2 years left, given all of the crazy stuff associated with COVID year being wiped out, Caleb missing a year due to injury already, etc. But all of the pieces otherwise are freshmen or sophomores.

I don't know whether Hough will ever be a difference maker at DT -- but we could certainly use an athlete with bigger size. Assuming he can move his feet and show some lateral mobility, he could bolster this unit.

Next year, we'll [hopefully] have Lockett back full strength, plus Darton. Incoming recruit Perry could also make a challenge for the two-deep, based upon the look of him. We'll also have Fuentes-Cundiff / Bassette at DT, and possibly Josh.

So whereas the depth chart is getting thin this year, it's not difficult to envision next season's DL being a HUGE area of strength, based upon numbers AND quality next year.
Denis Jaquez too and I've heard raves about Francois Noulton

Last edited:

My wrist is bigger than his neck.

Not counting any transfer portal guys...

DTs Next year:
  • Lockett
  • Darton
  • Fuentes-Cundiff
  • Bassette
  • Hough
  • Perry

DEs Next year:
  • Okechukwu
  • Geer
  • Linton
  • Simmons
  • Jobity
  • Jasquez
  • Noulton

How granted, there are players who might play multiple positions in White's system [like Okechukwu playing inside on passing downs, Perry maybe playing both DT / DE, etc.].

But that doesn't include any of other "new" faces beyond the existing group, with the exception of incoming frosh Perry.

We also know that Tony White loves rotating parts to keep them fresh -- so he'll play guys if they can contribute. When I look at that list, I see a LOT of guys who can contribute. And LOTS of proven commodities, mixed with newer faces with exciting potential.

DL is loaded for next year. Wish one or two of these guys was a bit more experienced THIS year, given the depth constraints we're facing. But hard not to look at the talent in the pipeline and not conclude that it's both stocked with talent, and the future looks bright.
Good post

I think it's more about speed / athleticism / mobility than weight as a "fixed" criteria.

If a guy is 290 but can move, like Christian Wilkins from Clemson a few years ago -- OF COURSE we'd play him, because he'd have the attributes to be a good system fit.

But a 290 guy who is a fire hydrant with no lateral mobility, like Curtis Harper, doesn't fit what the staff is trying to do.

Question is -- can Hough carry weight and still play like an athlete? Darton slimmed down from close to 300 last year to 267 this year, and it really paid off. Hough is ~ 6 foot 3, so he has the frame to be "bigger" than the 5-11 Darton. But he'll need to be able to not just hold up inside, but also get into the backfield to disrupt plays behind the line of scrimmage if he wants to play. If that requires him to get down to 270, so be it. But if he can play that way at 280+, even better.

He came in at 255 and built like a brick **** house. 270 is probably ideal for him on DL especially with one of his legs compromised.

If we could have 3 of him he could play 20-25 downs a game and rotate when gassed like Jerigan for FSU few years back

There is no exact weight they put in stone, he's very far from P5 college football shape, let's just get him as strong, and quick as possible and he'll prove it on the field.

There isn't but for what we require of our front 3 we're always going to be lighter. Guys that are 6'3 300 that play like Darton are few and far between and only go North for O$U and Notre Dame. Rest are SEC bound or Big 12 kids that want to stay close to home.

Feel like Caleb is our prototype for what we want that can play any front 3 position. Imagine 3 of him on the line?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom