Josh Hough to DL | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Josh Hough to DL

I never loved his tape as a RB, but you can't teach the size and strength he possesses. Hopefully it transfers.

Same here, seemed more like a Wisconsin type RB. Not the style we play. And injuries aside, he was always going to get bigger. Just part of being in a college program.

Hope it works out on D. It's where I always assumed he'd be. Although more of a DE than DT, but whatever works.

Sean is our #1, #2, and 3rd down back. You're not factoring in the passing attack. The only non-Sean Tucker rb snaps of note this season, are when he has had to exit the game due to injury. Really, no one else does this.
I think that is two fold. Tucker HAD to work on his pass pro for his own value. Also the true freshman isn't ready to come in for pass pro.

Sean is our #1, #2, and 3rd down back. You're not factoring in the passing attack. The only non-Sean Tucker rb snaps of note this season, are when he has had to exit the game due to injury. Really, no one else does this.
They have gone empty and not had him on the field as well. His workload is fine, same as last year.

Same here, seemed more like a Wisconsin type RB. Not the style we play. And injuries aside, he was always going to get bigger. Just part of being in a college program.

Hope it works out on D. It's where I always assumed he'd be. Although more of a DE than DT, but whatever works.
We have had bigger backs like Wax, Hogue and Smith transition to LB and be super successful. With how much bigger Hough is if he can recover fully he could be as successful on the line.

They have gone empty and not had him on the field as well. His workload is fine, same as last year.
That's fine. All I'm saying is, if Sean leaves, we will need 2 or more rbs to replace his absence next season. Ideally, would love to have a back like WVU's Donaldson. Josh could've been that type of rb for us, imo.

Yup. I keep track. Hypothyroidism and Pernicious Anemia are relatively recent "discoveries" As I said, just crushed a stress test, and am 1/2 way to my weight loss goal.
Glad it turned out well for you.
For me, the universe and I have an agreement, but I have to do my part.
As Steven Wright said: I plan to live forever. I'm doing pretty well so far.
Steven Wright also said: "Doctor told me I have two weeks to live. I hope they’re in August."

Last edited:
He averaged 20 last year as well. It’s obviously a workload he can handle.
That wasn't his point. The point is we don't know if we have a quality player at the position behind him because he has been all of the meaningful production. The few times we've seen anyone else, outside of the wagner game, they've been unproductive. Do we know yet if we have a replacement for him? Hough won't be that guy, but I'll be interested to see if the coaches like who they have or if they go portaling.

That wasn't his point. The point is we don't know if we have a quality player at the position behind him because he has been all of the meaningful production. The few times we've seen anyone else, outside of the wagner game, they've been unproductive. Do we know yet if we have a replacement for him? Hough won't be that guy, but I'll be interested to see if the coaches like who they have or if they go portaling.

Given that (as of now) Allen is ahead of the NM transfer (who also looks legit, and pretty jacked), and we've got 2 hugely talented Frosh inbound next year -
we're prolly good with the RB room as it will stand.

I was giddy of the prospect of Josh being our version of AJ Dillon, or Ron Dayne or < insert large yet freakishly fast RB here >
And who knows, maybe he still may get some spot duty doing that?

But, he's a LARGE young man, who may have literally outgrown the RB position.
However he can help Syracuse win games, I want to see him on the field doing it.

The principals on the DL are really, really young. I know that Okechuckwu is a junior -- not sure if he has just 1 or possibly 2 years left, given all of the crazy stuff associated with COVID year being wiped out, Caleb missing a year due to injury already, etc. But all of the pieces otherwise are freshmen or sophomores.

I don't know whether Hough will ever be a difference maker at DT -- but we could certainly use an athlete with bigger size. Assuming he can move his feet and show some lateral mobility, he could bolster this unit.

Next year, we'll [hopefully] have Lockett back full strength, plus Darton. Incoming recruit Perry could also make a challenge for the two-deep, based upon the look of him. We'll also have Fuentes-Cundiff / Bassette at DT, and possibly Josh.

So whereas the depth chart is getting thin this year, it's not difficult to envision next season's DL being a HUGE area of strength, based upon numbers AND quality next year.

I never loved his tape as a RB, but you can't teach the size and strength he possesses. Hopefully it transfers.

Disagree. His RB tape was perfect ying to a Tucker type yang. I'd love to still see him get carries inside the 10 even as a DT or on 3rd or 4th and 1s. Good luck stopping him

Disagree. His RB tape was perfect ying to a Tucker type yang. I'd love to still see him get carries inside the 10 even as a DT or on 3rd or 4th and 1s. Good luck stopping him
I never liked the level of competition he played against. He was often the biggest kid on the field. His straight line speed was great for a guy his size but I figured he would struggle with lateral movement in college until he lost weight and changed his body.

Do we know yet if we have a replacement for him?

What do we know? Nothing.

But I do believe a few things.

I believe…

- We do have a replacement for ST.
- The replacement(s) will not be a ST clone. There’s only one ST.
- The coaches actually know what they’re doing and will hit the portal as they have done in the past if they believe we can do better. They may not land a difference maker, but I’m confident they know how to work the portal.

I never liked the level of competition he played against. He was often the biggest kid on the field. His straight line speed was great for a guy his size but I figured he would struggle with lateral movement in college until he lost weight and changed his body.

Western PA is no joke. Josh was just big for anywhere.

I'm not running him outside the tackles so was less worried about lateral mobility even pre injury. Imagine him beating the living piss out of interior defenders rather than trying Tuck, or Lequint though. Save wear and tear and also slow the LBs

Western PA is no joke. Josh was just big for anywhere.

I'm not running him outside the tackles so was less worried about lateral mobility even pre injury. Imagine him beating the living piss out of interior defenders rather than trying Tuck, or Lequint though. Save wear and tear and also slow the LBs
I watched three of his games live stream. I factor in competition. Josh needed to change his body to be a successful Acc RB. I said that after his jr season in HS. I still feel that way. That doesn't mean he sucks. Just means he needed to work hard in S&C to make the most of his opportunity.

Given that (as of now) Allen is ahead of the NM transfer (who also looks legit, and pretty jacked), and we've got 2 hugely talented Frosh inbound next year -
we're prolly good with the RB room as it will stand.

I was giddy of the prospect of Josh being our version of AJ Dillon, or Ron Dayne or < insert large yet freakishly fast RB here >
And who knows, maybe he still may get some spot duty doing that?

But, he's a LARGE young man, who may have literally outgrown the RB position.
However he can help Syracuse win games, I want to see him on the field doing it.
But so far all we know is that the transfer passes the look test. Has Allen beat him out because he's that good or by default? Maybe he's great. All I'm saying is we don't know. We've barely seen him play, so nobody on here can speak with any certainty about what we have behind Tucker.

I'm hoping the everyone on the roster and that we have coming in is a stud. We'll find out when they play. Heck even the coaches didn't know exactly what they had in Tucker until there hand was forced, so this is hardly an exact science.

Any chance Josh could play this year??
I think we heard Josh had been/is working with the scout team.
If healthy and possibly in shape to give us a few downs, could he play
in the last 3 games of the season(home against FSU//away against BC and Wake)?
Would that NOT cost him a year of eligibility?

I watched three of his games live stream. I factor in competition. Josh needed to change his body to be a successful Acc RB. I said that after his jr season in HS. I still feel that way. That doesn't mean he sucks. Just means he needed to work hard in S&C to make the most of his opportunity.

For sure had the chance to go Derrick Henry OR Eddie Lacy.

Was thinking/hoping the former as his work ethic towards football seemed greater than Eddie's work ethic towards obtaining Chinese food.

I’m hoping his athleticism works at dt. If he can get his lifting and diet dialed in, he could be an explosive 285 to 290 guy. We need a guy who makes a big difference in middle and that’s not knocking Darton at all. I’m a huge fan of his. I know we like light and quick, just seems we can’t take the physicality injury wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom