Josh Pace People forget that when Edelin came back | Syracusefan.com

Josh Pace People forget that when Edelin came back

dasher

Living Legend
In '03, JB wanted to Boeheim Pace. He didn't play for a couple of games as I recall. But Pace by his play, made JB go with a deeper bench than he likes to. It can be done. You have to make plays.

when played at guard, Josh Pace was one of the five-best top-of-the-zone defenders I have seen at Syracuse. He fought over every pick.

The issue was that when played st the 2, our offense was dysfunctional, unless our PG and at least one of our forwards (preferably both) could shoot out to the three-point line

He came in when we were losing to Rutgers in the second half in the last game of the season and made some huge plays to help us comeback. After that, he was back in the rotation for the postseason.

He came in when we were losing to Rutgers in the second half in the last game of the season and made some huge plays to help us comeback. After that, he was back in the rotation for the postseason.

Yup - he had some big games early in the season as well - he was good in that Memphis game, etc...

Last edited:
In '03, JB wanted to Boeheim Pace. He didn't play for a couple of games as I recall. But Pace by his play, made JB go with a deeper bench than he likes to. It can be done. You have to make plays.

I'm always beating this drum too. Kids like Pace played their way into the lineup by doing good things almost every time they got minutes. It's a tough ask, especially of freshmen/sophs, but it's how JB operates. You can still hate that policy but it is what it is. Pace was a really underrated player here, IMO.

I'm always beating this drum too. Kids like Pace played their way into the lineup by doing good things almost every time they got minutes. It's a tough ask, especially of freshmen/sophs, but it's how JB operates. You can still hate that policy but it is what it is. Pace was a really underrated player here, IMO.

Okay, I don't entirely agree with this - I mean, he didn't "play his way into the lineup" unless you think he played his way out of it when Edelin returned.

The first game of the season he played 24 minutes, a game we lost, against Memphis, was 5-5 from the field, 10 points, 6 boards, 2 assists...

The last game before Billy returned he went for 6 points, 6 boards, 5 assists in 26 minutes.

He was a fairly decent stat stuffer who to the lineup returned at the end.

We lost a game when Billy returned, and within one game he was down to 0 minutes against Miami.

He wasn't having a bad season and resurrected himself, he was having a decent season, disappeared, and then a decent end to the season. What happens in the middle is Edelin getting acclimated, which was likely essential, but I'm not sure Pace played himself out of the lineup any more than he did play himself into it.

Okay, I don't entirely agree with this - I mean, he didn't "play his way into the lineup" unless you think he played his way out of it when Edelin returned.

The first game of the season he played 24 minutes, a game we lost, against Memphis, was 5-5 from the field, 10 points, 6 boards, 2 assists...

The last game before Billy returned he went for 6 points, 6 boards, 5 assists in 26 minutes.

We lost a game when Billy returned, and within one game he was down to 0 minutes against Miami.

He wasn't having a bad season and resurrected himself, he was having a decent season, disappeared, and then a decent end to the season. What happens in the middle is Edelin getting acclimated, which was likely essential, but I'm not sure Pace played himself out of the lineup any more than he did play himself into it.
Fair point. What I was meaning to say was he was so good every time he was on the floor he made it hard, if not impossible, to take him off the floor. But your point stands in terms of playing his way into the lineup.

Fair point. What I was meaning to say was he was so good every time he was on the floor he made it hard, if not impossible, to take him off the floor. But your point stands in terms of playing his way into the lineup.

Very true! I also think we had our hands tied a bit because of the Edelin situation, a very unique year where we really had to get him minutes to gel, but Pace was always a great stat stuffer and very versatile. One of my favs to watch. :)

I lost it on this board when he got that DNP vs
Miami. It was everything I hate about JB’s rotations. Glad he saw the light and got Pace back in the lineup.

Slightly off topic but one of my favorite memories of 2003 was how Edelin...with virtually no jump shot and limited athleticism, could always find a way to beat his defender off the bounce and find someone for an open shot. I remember yelling at the TV to make sure he didn't pass the ball off too early and eliminate his drive and dish option. Why no one could really guard him is still a mystery.

Slightly off topic but one of my favorite memories of 2003 was how Edelin...with virtually no jump shot and limited athleticism, could always find a way to beat his defender off the bounce and find someone for an open shot. I remember yelling at the TV to make sure he didn't pass the ball off too early and eliminate his drive and dish option. Why no one could really guard him is still a mystery.
It’s funny that people think Billy wasn’t athletic. He couldn’t be guarded because he had a great handle with both hands.

It’s funny that people think Billy wasn’t athletic. He couldn’t be guarded because he had a great handle with both hands.

Yup. And he was deceptive. He had that change of pace and hesitate and go stuff down pat. And I think he was more athletic than he gets credit for. He wasn’t a leaper, and also wasn’t blazing fast...but he was smooth. Kinda like Moten to an extent, though Moten was a better athlete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom