Class of 2023 - JUCO C J’onre Reed (TX/KS) Committed / Signed to Syracuse (12/18/22) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 JUCO C J’onre Reed (TX/KS) Committed / Signed to Syracuse (12/18/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we're waiting for Ed McMahon to clear this young man? The Clearing house hasn't been to kind to SU and seems to knock on their door often with bad news, I hope Reed has his cleared, he's definitely a position of need.

Last edited:
So disgusted with the NCAA.

We have a young man from the inner city, clearly from a poor family with little or no resources. He is trying to make something of himself. He has worked hard to overcome his bad environment, his crappy high school and has gone through the JUCO system and completed all the academic requirements to enroll at at good school, where he has a chance to finish his education, become a productive citizen and make something of himself.

The NCAA should not be trying to ruin the lives of young men trying to lift themselves up from awful situations. They do not have the stomach to challenge schools that are outright buying players because thone schools and their boosters have the money to defend themselves and it will be hard to win.

They prefer to exercise their power on penniless minorities trying to life themselves from the ghetto.

This is not a case where Syracuse is trying to get a competitive advantage over other schools by openly flaunting NCAA rules. Syracuse is doing nothing wrong. Mr Reed is doing nothing wrong. They are both doing what the NCAA should be celebrating, not preventing.

I don‘t know how these people live with themselves. Ugh.

We have a young man from the inner city, clearly from a poor family with little or no resources. He is trying to make something of himself. He has worked hard to overcome his bad environment, his crappy high school and has gone through the JUCO system and completed all the academic requirements to enroll at at good school, where he has a chance to finish his education, become a productive citizen and make something of himself.

The NCAA should not be trying to ruin the lives of young men trying to lift themselves up from awful situations. They do not have the stomach to challenge schools that are outright buying players because thone schools and their boosters have the money to defend themselves and it will be hard to win.

They prefer to exercise their power on penniless minorities trying to life themselves from the ghetto.

This is not a case where Syracuse is trying to get a competitive advantage over other schools by openly flaunting NCAA rules. Syracuse is doing nothing wrong. Mr Reed is doing nothing wrong. They are both doing what the NCAA should be celebrating, not preventing.

Perfectly stated.

The fact that he is coming from a program that puts dozens of players in high level FBS programs every year makes me feel pretty confident that all I’s are dotted and t’s crossed. If there are issues, where is the sense of urgency to get things done with late enrollment for spring semester days away?

Perfectly stated.

The fact that he is coming from a program that puts dozens of players in high level FBS programs every year makes me feel pretty confident that all I’s are dotted and t’s crossed. If there are issues, where is the sense of urgency to get things done with late enrollment for spring semester days away?

Syracuse under Dino has rarely taken guys they knew wouldn't qualify. This smells of typical NCAA BS.

Syracuse under Dino has rarely taken guys they knew wouldn't qualify. This smells of typical NCAA BS.
Yeah I would think that Syracuse is carefully looking at that before letting them commit. I am always a bit surprised when this does happen and I am a bit more surprised that after all these years there is not a reasonable path of escalation for a determination to be made relatively quickly. Especially in age of technology collaboration. A Zoom call with a few low level administrators to validate any questions could be done probably in less than 30 minutes with the NCAA.

Yeah I would think that Syracuse is carefully looking at that before letting them commit. I am always a bit surprised when this does happen and I am a bit more surprised that after all these years there is not a reasonable path of escalation for a determination to be made relatively quickly. Especially in age of technology collaboration. A Zoom call with a few low level administrators to validate any questions could be done probably in less than 30 minutes with the NCAA.
The problem is that the NCAA rarely gets things right and basically favors certain institutional members over the rest!

Last edited:

Tom, I'll take it one step further. The ncaa, which is a sham of a governance / compliance body to begin with, comes down hard on penny ante stuff like this, while simultaneously looking the other way at macro rule breaking, enabling numerous programs across the revenue generating sports to cheat indiscriminately.

But that single player? Better take a second look at that transcript before clearing him.

Tom, I'll take it one step further. The ncaa, which is a sham of a governance / compliance body to begin with, comes down hard on penny ante stuff like this, while simultaneously looking the other way at macro rule breaking, enabling numerous programs across the revenue generating sports to cheat indiscriminately.

But that single player? Better take a second look at that transcript before clearing him.
The NCAA should have no say in any academic issues after admitting sham classes at North Carolina for 20 years wasn't in their wheelhouse.
North Carolina was on probation by their the agency which allowed them to operate as a college to grant degrees.

Question. Even though he has not been cleared can he be on campus taken classes just unable to participate in football activities? The ncaa should have no say so on who is admitted and take class at the university.

Question. Even though he has not been cleared can he be on campus taken classes just unable to participate in football activities? The ncaa should have no say so on who is admitted and take class at the university.
Good question. I assume if he has been accepted by Syracuse, which I think he has, he can enroll and attend classes. He probably is not allowed to attend any team activities….meetings, practice, etc.

Hopefully the NCAA will at least read his transcript and make a ruling ASAP.

As others have pointed out, Reed attended a JUCO that has sent dozens of players to BCS programs in recent years. This isn’t like we are dealing with a brand new academic institution that has never dealt with NCAA academic requirements before. There is no excuse for this kind of treatment.

Good question. I assume if he has been accepted by Syracuse, which I think he has, he can enroll and attend classes. He probably is not allowed to attend any team activities….meetings, practice, etc.

As others have pointed out, Reed attended a JUCO that has sent dozens of players to BCS programs in recent years. This isn’t like we are dealing with a brand new academic institution that has never dealt with NCAA academic requirements before. There is no excuse for this kind of treatment.

Yes there is -- incompetence.

A person with a clearinghouse issue over a credit can still able be scholarshipped and practice etc etc. They just can’t play in any games. If Reed is not on campus I would wonder if it’s SU admissions? A kid I know recently had been accepted and on campus, still had a scholarship and could practice.

There are distinct differences between D1, D2 and D3 and acceptable classes for credit though which is crazy. The credit issue I’m aware of I was told at the time by the college, the flagged credit would have been accepted by the NCAA at the D3 level and the player fully cleared to play. I’d think Hutchinson CC being very experienced with D1 athletes advised Reed properly, so hopefully this gets resolved quickly. I do worry about SU admissions though as much as the NCAA.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why S.U. doesn't threaten to take the NCAA to court. When other schools have, they back down. Penn State comes to mind.

I’ve just gone to DEFCON 3. What’s up?

NCAA has been a self-serving bloated institution run by suits for decades. Personally, i want to see big time football and basketball create their own governance

Status
Not open for further replies.