Class of 2017 - JUCO DE Alton Robinson(OK) Signed/ Eligible to Play Immediately | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO DE Alton Robinson(OK) Signed/ Eligible to Play Immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo, what are you rooting for? Enjoy your view from the pedestal. Hopefully it is big enough for the rest of the crew that haven't a clue about this kid.

Oh yeah, the staff does. You know, the people who have actually spoken to AR, his coaches, family, etc.

Just hilarious that you wouldn't root for him. Not surprising, though. The top dog for outsider alumni smugness.

Anyway, I'll be rooting for him. I'd say that an edge DE rusher probably has the least difficulty learning their role, and producing quicker than most.
A person being a football player will never change my views on domestic violence. There's absolutely no reason to put yourself in a position where you are putting your hands on a woman. Plain and simple. I'm sure the staff has done their due diligence and everyone deserves a second chance. Doesn't mean I have to support it.

Other schools do this all the time and we would only mock rutgirls and pedo state. Go check out the kid that Bo Polini just let on his team at Youngstown State.
I had to look up what you were talking about with Pelini and after yesterday I think it becomes bigger news. The kid's dad ambushed a judge in Steubenville, OH. Shot the judge couple times, then the judge and a probation officer killed dad. The only connection they can see as of now is the judge's son work for the prosecution in the early stages of kid's rape case.

A person being a football player will never change my views on domestic violence. There's absolutely no reason to put yourself in a position where you are putting your hands on a woman. Plain and simple. I'm sure the staff has done their due diligence and everyone deserves a second chance. Doesn't mean I have to support it.

I dont think anyone is condoning domestic violence, but there can be some nuance in certain situations. Your comments are seemingly at odds. (I.E. everyone deserves a second chance; I don't support this second chance).

There is also a tremendous stigma associated with such allegations (only concerned about those falsely made). Even from a law enforcement standpoint, it is a trick situation, with officers being able to make their own complaints if one party is unwilling to move forward, and many agencies refusing to take cross-complaints. If Dino Babers, a husband and father of four daughters is willing to provide an opportunity, I will support it.

I wonder what the prevailing sentiment is on these boards about Jim Brown and Eric Devendorf, a trumpeted Syracuse legend and someone strongly associated with the hoops program?

I had to look up what you were talking about with Pelini and after yesterday I think it becomes bigger news. The kid's dad ambushed a judge in Steubenville, OH. Shot the judge couple times, then the judge and a probation officer killed dad. The only connection they can see as of now is the judge's son work for the prosecution in the early stages of kid's rape case.

wow

I dont think anyone is condoning domestic violence, but there can be some nuance in certain situations. Your comments are seemingly at odds.

There is also a tremendous stigma associated with such allegations. If Dino Babers, a husband and father of four daughters is willing to provide an opportunity, I will support it.

I wonder what the prevailing sentiment is on these boards about Jim Brown and Eric Devendorf, a trumpeted Syracuse legend and someone strongly associated with the hoops program?
I'm not saying anyone here shouldn't root for him. What he did isn't as bad as Ray Rice, or Greg Hardy, or anything like that.

I'm only saying I specifically will not root for him. That's all.

I'm not saying anyone here shouldn't root for him. What he did isn't as bad as Ray Rice, or Greg Hardy, or anything like that.

As people have said previously, how do we even know he did anything? The charges have been dropped due to an uncooperative witness (I'm assuming the ex-gf). For all we know based on the information presented in various articles, she fabricated the entire story (it could also be true). I trust that Dino and the staff did their due diligence. To not root for a kid, because of a story that could be true or could not be true is really unfortunate.

B, I respect your conviction on the subject and get where you're coming from. No problem with you taking that position or voicing your opinion. You acknowledged my point in making a distinction between what this kid was accused of and what domestic violence really is. Granted we're all speculating on this, but from reading the allegations I don't get the impression that he was trying to purposefully do physical harm to his ex. I got that it was certainly a heated altercation, but he was trying to get her phone and that was the cause of the physical contact. I see that as being very different from a man striking a woman with the intent to physically harm her. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, only that labeling it domestic violence is a misnomer, and to me does not appropriately characterize the wrong.

This is just slightly confusing to me. I understand your stance on DV and respect that. But i'm confused by the 'not rooting' for him comment because I don't know if you mean in life or on the field. If he makes a play to decide the game are you not going to acknowledge it? Not be happy? Again I respect your opinion and the stance on DV I just think the not rooting line is a little strange especially with cloudy details surrounding his allegations

This is just slightly confusing to me. I understand your stance on DV and respect that. But i'm confused by the 'not rooting' for him comment because I don't know if you mean in life or on the field. If he makes a play to decide the game are you not going to acknowledge it? Not be happy? Again I respect your opinion and the stance on DV I just think the not rooting line is a little strange especially with cloudy details surrounding his allegations
I'm rooting for the team to win. If he helps us win, great. But you're not going to see posts from me praising his play. It's why I've always respected Robert Kraft's zero tolerance policy on the subject.

Honestly, the "uncooperative witness" part with his ex-gf is part of the reason I think this did happen despite the lack of charges. But I certainly would take a harder stance against the staff if he hit her with a closed fist rather than pushed her into bushes.

I'm rooting for the team to win. If he helps us win, great. But you're not going to see posts from me praising his play. It's why I've always respected Robert Kraft's zero tolerance policy on the subject.

Honestly, the "uncooperative witness" part with his ex-gf is part of the reason I think this did happen despite the lack of charges. But I certainly would take a harder stance against the staff if he hit her with a closed fist rather than pushed her into bushes.

That's assuming a lot, and honestly rather unfair to the kid. Isn't it 'innocent until proven guilty'? Or is it now 'innocent until accused'?

And I would venture a guess to say if he hit her he wouldn't be on the team.

I'm still struggling to understand how any charges were brought at all if the witness was uncooperative. Or she only chose to cooperate on the burglary charges and chose not to pursue the others. Maybe she overreacted in her description of the situation and decided to not pursue. Who knows.

I'm still struggling to understand how any charges were brought at all if the witness was uncooperative. Or she only chose to cooperate on the burglary charges and chose not to pursue the others. Maybe she overreacted in her description of the situation and decided to not pursue. Who knows.
On the other hand, you could say that Robinson intimidated her into not talking. We definitely don't know for sure.

*DISCLAIMER: I don't actually believe that he did that.*

On the other hand, you could say that Robinson intimidated her into not talking. We definitely don't know for sure.

*DISCLAIMER: I don't actually believe that he did that.*
I think it's reasonable to include it as a possibility.

That said, I hope this kid makes the most of his opportunity and leaves a better person than he came. Perhaps everyone deserves a second chance, not everyone gets one.

I swear to god Deadspin has ruined sports for my generation.

Millennial suck and the deadspinization at ESPN has become pathetic.

If this player was guilty of DV the school wouldn't give him a second chance.
Nancy Cantor blocked Colt Brennan in 2005 from coming to SU.

We have standards in place. The player deserves a second chance.

We root for laundry.

I dont think anyone is condoning domestic violence, but there can be some nuance in certain situations. Your comments are seemingly at odds. (I.E. everyone deserves a second chance; I don't support this second chance).

There is also a tremendous stigma associated with such allegations (only concerned about those falsely made). Even from a law enforcement standpoint, it is a trick situation, with officers being able to make their own complaints if one party is unwilling to move forward, and many agencies refusing to take cross-complaints. If Dino Babers, a husband and father of four daughters is willing to provide an opportunity, I will support it.

I think it is likely that you are both right. Not all domestic violence is of the same magnitude, and it is likely that what happened here isn't anywhere on par with Rice, Hardy, Mixon, etc.

Doesn't make it right, though. But it also means that he doesn't have to have the earth scorched as punishment, just because he did something stupid that wasn't necessarily using his hands on a woman. He did allegedly push her down, though. But one would think that prior issues [and it doesn't seem like there were any] would be a mitigating factor here, given that the kid lost his ride to Texas A&M and got stigmatized for his actions. The judicial outcomes which--which first reduced the charges from felonies to misdemeanors and then dropped the charges entirely--seem to reflect that view.

And just to be clear, I am not condoning it or saying "boys will be boys," or anything nearly that ignorant just because he's a football player who can help our team. It is possible that the punishment he's endured thus far were an adequate set of penalties for what transpired in this case. Had he struck her with his hands, I would have a completely different point of view and wouldn't be tolerant of this kid being added to the roster. At all. And I doubt that Babers / Wildhack would have, either.

But him having a "clean" track record prior to these incidents would be a HUGE factor in that determination, IMO.

When I was about 6 years old I pushed my sister into bushes beside our house and she got some scratches. So I guess you will no longer read/reply to any of my post since I am a borderline abuser. PS...I did get grounded but don't remember any other punishment.

bnoro watching the Syracuse game at home, when Robinson gets his first sack;)
anigif_enhanced-buzz-30486-1342447807-4.gif

I think it is likely that you are both right. Not all domestic violence is of the same magnitude, and it is likely that what happened here isn't anywhere on par with Rice, Hardy, Mixon, etc.

Doesn't make it right, though. But it also means that he doesn't have to have the earth scorched as punishment, just because he did something stupid that wasn't necessarily using his hands on a woman. He did allegedly push her down, though. But one would think that prior issues [and it doesn't seem like there were any] would be a mitigating factor here, given that the kid lost his ride to Texas A&M and got stigmatized for his actions. The judicial outcomes which--which first reduced the charges from felonies to misdemeanors and then dropped the charges entirely--seem to reflect that view.

And just to be clear, I am not condoning it or saying "boys will be boys," or anything nearly that ignorant just because he's a football player who can help our team. It is possible that the punishment he's endured thus far were an adequate set of penalties for what transpired in this case. Had he struck her with his hands, I would have a completely different point of view and wouldn't be tolerant of this kid being added to the roster. At all. And I doubt that Babers / Wildhack would have, either.

But him having a "clean" track record prior to these incidents would be a HUGE factor in that determination, IMO.
Thank you for eloquently stating what I wasn't able to clearly. This is all I'm trying to say, really.

Your viewpoint is perfectly fine, and I'm not annoyed that any of our fans would think the same as you. That's why I'm not upset he's been added to the team.

Last edited:

That's more or less where I'm coming from. Kid lost a full ride to a SEC school, had to go to football purgatory for a few years, not to mention deal with the legal system side of it. Didn't have a history of bad behavior. He's paid a pretty steep price already and hopefully he's learned from it.

A person being a football player will never change my views on domestic violence. There's absolutely no reason to put yourself in a position where you are putting your hands on a woman. Plain and simple.
Absolutes are so limiting. I think the men in the lives of Lorena Bobbitt, Patricia Wuornos, Estibaliz Carranza, and other women like them, might disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom