JUCO Safety Duron Singleton | Syracusefan.com

JUCO Safety Duron Singleton

PhatOrange

Living Legend
6-1 210 Fresno, CA

No offers but is slated to visit Syracuse, Auburn and Missouri over the next 3 weekends.

The juco safety, looks like Missouri has stepped in and offered him. Originally he was supposed to visit here this past weekend but went to Mizzou instead. I assume because of our coaching turmoil. Not sure we're recruiting him anymore.

I think it's imperative we bring in a safety. Anyone know if Scissum slated to play safety or corner?

The juco safety, looks like Missouri has stepped in and offered him. Originally he was supposed to visit here this past weekend but went to Mizzou instead. I assume because of our coaching turmoil. Not sure we're recruiting him anymore.

I think it's imperative we bring in a safety. Anyone know if Scissum slated to play safety or corner?
The JUCO Kelly is a safety.

Pinkel himself offered on the visit.

It's us or Auburn for a visit this weekend.

One of his favorite parts of his visit to Mizzo was playing hoops.

The staff should tell him he can hoop it up at the Dome with Michael Gbinije and watch the Orange take on Nova at noon on the tube.

The JUCO Kelly is a safety.

I think we need another one. My own opinion but I really believe we need to get bigger at the spot. Wilkes is a liability and I think we can work in Wayne Morgan and maybe McFarlane but would be real nice to add two big JUCO's who've been playing the position all along.

Right now we have Esk, Desire and Wilkes. Adding Kelly. There's the option to move Morgan but you throw another juco in the mix like Singleton (6-1 210) and I'd feel better.

Torn on moving Wayne or Dante. Wayne has the makings of being a real good cornerback and good corners are at a premium. I wouldn't move him unless he's hands down a better safety.

And I'm not sold on moving McFarlene just yet. The RB spot doesn't look as solid as it once did. Both Smith AND PTG are seniors next year.

I think we need another one. My own opinion but I really believe we need to get bigger at the spot. Wilkes is a liability and I think we can work in Wayne Morgan and maybe McFarlane but would be real nice to add two big JUCO's who've been playing the position all along.

Right now we have Esk, Desire and Wilkes. Adding Kelly. There's the option to move Morgan but you throw another juco in the mix like Singleton (6-1 210) and I'd feel better.

Torn on moving Wayne or Dante. Wayne has the makings of being a real good cornerback and good corners are at a premium. I wouldn't move him unless he's hands down a better safety.

And I'm not sold on moving McFarlene just yet. The RB spot doesn't look as solid as it once did. Both Smith AND PTG are seniors next year.
I agree about adding size at safety. That's one of the reasons I was wondering if Broyld would be willing to switch.

I see your point. Maybe, if necessary, someone changes position. Image Broyld at safety! Others have mentioned Lewis.

Wilkes is a warrior but he is really undersized. Desir is listed at 6'1", is fearless... but can he stay healthy at 170 lbs? I think Esk has the most upside.

Bad time to have 3 weekend road games in a row-thanks BE

Ha. Every year when the basketball schedule is released that is the first thing I look at. How many January Saturday home games are there. We got screwed this year.

(and the one home game on Jan 12 I don't think we had any recruits in town because of coaching turmoil)

I believe Smith will be a Redshirt Junior in 2013...no?

Nope.

true freshman = he played in 2 games. Then missed the rest of the season with an injury.

sophomore = played in all 12 games

junior = played in all 12 games.

People have tossed around two things. That a) if you play in less than an certain % of games you get your redshirt and b) he was sidelined with an injury so he gets the redshirt.

People talk about the % thing but I can't recall that I've ever actually seen that hold true. And the injury - applying and getting an extra year isn't likely.

Nope.

true freshman = he played in 2 games. Then missed the rest of the season with an injury.

People have tossed around two things. That a) if you play in less than an certain % of games you get your redshirt and b) he was sidelined with an injury so he gets the redshirt.

People talk about the % thing but I can't recall that I've ever actually seen that hold true. And the injury - applying and getting an extra year isn't likely.

If he was injured after participating in less than 30% of his team's games, then he would have been granted a redshirt if he applied. We've seen this numerous times over the years.

The most popular player in the great eligibility debate (thanks, Doug). Smith will be a true junior next season, however due to missing the majority of his freshman season with an injury, he may apply for a medical hardship waiver. He played sparingly in two games so I expect him to get it.

If he was injured after participating in less than 30% of his team's games, then he would have been granted a redshirt if he applied. We've seen this numerous times over the years.

I've never seen that hold true - do you have an example?

Nope.

It's almost automatic. Lavar Lobdell got his extra year back, and he played in 3 games his 1st freshman year. Taj Smith also got an extra year back, but he chose to leave early for the NFL.

These examples are a little dated but I know Jason White got one when he was at OU, as did Bo Scaife at Texas. Not sure of the exact circumstances that led to theirs.

Didn't he go through the NFL draft evaluation process? He was thinking about going pro, I would assume that means next season is his last.

It's almost automatic. Lavar Lobdell got his extra year back, and he played in 3 games his 1st freshman year. Taj Smith also got an extra year back, but he chose to leave early for the NFL.

Lobdell, yes, perfect example thanks.

Hmm...

I know it's a different sport but Devendorf was granted his junior year back after playing a handful of games before tearing his ACL.

I can't think of any football examples off the top of my head but I know I've seen it happen a number of times over the last 15 years.

Hmm...

I know it's a different sport but Devendorf was granted his junior year back after playing a handful of games before tearing his ACL.

I can't think of any football examples off the top of my head but I know I've seen it happen a number of times over the last 15 years.

Heck Conley had 6 years ...

kyle johnson did it for SU a few years ago. if he wants to come back its a done deal.. maybe he blows up and doesnt want to..

Redshirt Senior I believe with the ability to petition the NCAA for a medical redshirt... I could be wrong though... wouldn't be the first time.

Kyle Johnson and Dan Conley had serious medical issues which is why their medical waivers were granted. You don't typically get a medically waiver unless you've missed multiple years for the same or similar injuries.

I'd bet that if Carl Cutler applied he might get a medical hardship and I'd also bet if Sean Hickey missed another season b/c of another knee injury he might get one to but it's not just as easy as applying.

In both Lobdell's case and now Smith, each played in two games befor being injured and as ONirvana states if you've participated in less than 30% of the teams games you get the redshirt. I guess Smith would qualify.

As I recall Scissum doesn't have corner speed. My guess is safetyDon't for get Kelly is coming into th program in the fall. He has superior speed that might allow him to be exceptional at safety and migtget a shot at corner

Kyle Johnson and Dan Conley had serious medical issues which is why their medical waivers were granted. You don't typically get a medically waiver unless you've missed multiple years for the same or similar injuries.

I'd bet that if Carl Cutler applied he might get a medical hardship and I'd also bet if Sean Hickey missed another season b/c of another knee injury he might get one to but it's not just as easy as applying.

In both Lobdell's case and now Smith, each played in two games befor being injured and as ONirvana states if you've participated in less than 30% of the teams games you get the redshirt. I guess Smith would qualify.

Weren't Johnson and Conley's cases both for sixth years, though? The criteria for that is MUCH harder than getting a fifth year due to injury.

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver.

A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference
or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of “hardship.” Hardship is defined as an
incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any twoyear
or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year
in high school;

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete
for the remainder of that playing season;

(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three
contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is
greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.

It's not rocketship science. Smith qualifies. He's within his original 5 year window of eligibility. If he applies for a waiver he will get the waiver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom