Judah and the next level | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Judah and the next level

Is this real? Dude is a 2 year player who was kind of an ass who wasn't even invited to the combine and he gets a documentary?

If this is real, someone needs to bring this kid down to earth.
It's not a documentary, it's fantasy fiction.

Will it include "the slap" I wonder.

Last edited:
Usually a documentary before a pro career and retirement is a tragedy showing why a transcendent talent died or never made it to fruition.

This seems so out of place in general but befitting of what we saw from Judah.

Latest Ringer mock draft doesn’t have Judah included again. Guessing he still has a decent amount to prove to get a look.

Maybe he can get on a two-way at some point down the line. Might be a pretty big uphill climb, but he’ll play pro ball somewhere.

Is this documentary a planned thing or maybe some kind of softer goodbye to a kid that wasn’t going to fit into the mix for a third year anyway? It’s just such an odd thing to do given we know things were challenging behind the scenes.

It's not a documentary, it's fantasy fiction.

Will it include "the slap" I wonder.
If it doesn't it has zero credibility, has more slaps than post season victories.

Usually a documentary before a pro career and retirement is a tragedy showing why a transcendent talent died or never made it to fruition.

This seems so out of place in general but befitting of what we saw from Judah.
I'd rather watch a documentary on some of the knuckleheads around here, I feel like I'd get far more enjoyment out of it.

Not to pile on, but I guess I will. It seems a bit comical some of the stuff in that short trailer. Judah talking about wanting to be the best player in college basketball (uh, not even close). Then showing Red talking about how it doesn't matter the name on your jersey, just play team basketball. Syracuse. Judah is the kriptonite to team ball. Sorry to say, but this kid is really hard to like.

Set aside your views on Judah as a player and appreciate how well done this piece is. Fantastic example of the personal side of these players' lives we often forget about for rooting interests. This type of insight is a reflection of the program & we could use more of it. Surely this means a lot to Judah and his family.

Showcasing beating a hated rival in a player's hometown isn't the worst, either. Best to Judah on what's next.

I think Red understands the importance of a social media presence in this day and age and is trying to expand the program's digital footprint, which I think is a great idea. They should get a really good social media manager and don't be afraid to mix it up out there. Only helps Cuse bball look cooler to the next gen.

Not to pile on, but I guess I will. It seems a bit comical some of the stuff in that short trailer. Judah talking about wanting to be the best player in college basketball (uh, not even close). Then showing Red talking about how it doesn't matter the name on your jersey, just play team basketball. Syracuse. Judah is the kriptonite to team ball. Sorry to say, but this kid is really hard to like.
I doubt I will ever see anyone top MeShaun Williams on my most disliked SU hoops players list but Judah is zooming up the charts.

I doubt I will ever see anyone top MeShaun Williams on my most disliked SU hoops players list but Judah is zooming up the charts.
It's strange. I've been diehard since I went to Cuse, back in 89. However, I just don't remember much of D Williams. There are a couple of other players like that for some reason. Unfortunately, the more I see of our former PG the more I don't like what I see. That said, I do wish him well. Why not. However, I won't root for him. Just not my cup of tea.

Latest Ringer mock draft doesn’t have Judah included again. Guessing he still has a decent amount to prove to get a look.

Maybe he can get on a two-way at some point down the line. Might be a pretty big uphill climb, but he’ll play pro ball somewhere.

Yes in Latvia or Uzbekistan

Set aside your views on Judah as a player and appreciate how well done this piece is. Fantastic example of the personal side of these players' lives we often forget about for rooting interests. This type of insight is a reflection of the program & we could use more of it. Surely this means a lot to Judah and his family.

Showcasing beating a hated rival in a player's hometown isn't the worst, either. Best to Judah on what's next.
producing these types of docs for players could be a great recruiting tool, imo

this is very well done

it's sad that judah gets some negativity on here...everyone was ecstatic when he decided to come back as a soph

yeah he didnt quite reach his full potential...but he was talented and generally seemed to try his hardest out there

otoh. you can see from this how important the narrative players have in their heads is to how they play: judah was hellbent on NBA immediately...and perhaps that was the source of some his struggles, ironically

One of the things that really frustrated me with Judah is that I believe he had the talent and ability to do a lot more than he did. Had he been committed to being more of a playmaker (like when he was trying out for the nba before coming back last season) I think he could have been a lot more effective in that role. I also think he could have been a really good defender, if he had the right mindset. He didn't really have to hit the 3 at a higher rate to elevate his game and others around him more. Judah oozes talent, it just wasn't always focused in the right direction.

One of the things that really frustrated me with Judah is that I believe he had the talent and ability to do a lot more than he did. Had he been committed to being more of a playmaker (like when he was trying out for the nba before coming back last season) I think he could have been a lot more effective in that role. I also think he could have been a really good defender, if he had the right mindset. He didn't really have to hit the 3 at a higher rate to elevate his game and others around him more. Judah oozes talent, it just wasn't always focused in the right direction.
I believe most of these guys ultimately play to their actual abilities. Unfortunately, what they do on the court often doesn't match up with the hype or expectations surrounding them. Do some players fail to realize their full potential? Sure, but I think that happens less often than fans think.

Guy was such a massive factor in keeping us above water last season. Wish him nothing but success in his future.
I think we get disappointed in what we believe a player could have been, for the benefit of SU, when they don’t develop as we think they should have.
Bill Schaar in FB is a prime example. Judah and Joe G are recent basketball examples.
If Judah could have honed his skill to more of a pass first, score when my team needs me PG, who also played consistently good defense, most of us would have been happy with that.

I believe most of these guys ultimately play to their actual abilities. Unfortunately, what they do on the court often doesn't match up with the hype or expectations surrounding them. Do some players fail to realize their full potential? Sure, but I think that happens less often than fans think.
cant put my finger on it...but I think there's just a lot of mental things going on here with this player in particular...that lead me to "untapped potential" view...

- he never played PG before Cuse...it was his "basketball DNA" to be a scorer and not lead a team...and it showed...that learning curve of playing a position in ncabb that you didnt play before is highly unusual at this level

- he's likeable and charismatic - says all the right things - but its clear from his decisions on and off the court that its really all about him...fair or unfair...thats the way most star players are...and this era as a whole is in particular....i just think judah's view of what basketball is and why he does it...and the outside view of what basketball is from a fan side...do not align very well...i dont think he's a bad person...I actually really like him. its just you can see its all about the individual accolades and stats etc...and thats how his career played out. he got his. but never quite cracked the code on how to get his in a way that also meant his team maxed its potential. and I think thats why hes not in mock drafts, too tbh

- when a player like him can make such spectacular plays again and again...it indicates that he has the potential for even more...not many can do what he did/does...so he's just one of those players that makes you wonder. as opposed to a player who just does his job without any flair or excitement...with those players, you kinda know they can't really do much more.

Guy was such a massive factor in keeping us above water last season. Wish him nothing but success in his future.
Because he was polarizing, fans tend to forget / ignore that the team around him wasn't the best, either. It's been said many times it's a miracle they won 20 games.

Could it have been better? Yes, but knowing behind the scenes what we do now, it could have been a lot worse if not for Judah.

I think we get disappointed in what we believe a player could have been, for the benefit of SU, when they don’t develop as we think they should have.
Bill Schaar in FB is a prime example. Judah and Joe G are recent basketball examples.
If Judah could have honed his skill to more of a pass first, score when my team needs me PG, who also played consistently good defense, most of us would have been happy with that.
It's just that people harp on Judah's lack of pg skills like it was the only thing holding our offense/team back last season. We needed a legit scoring big man like Jesse, not a 4 playing the 5. We needed more reliable threats as shooters besides Bell. We needed a more reliable shooter at the 2 who did not rely so much on dribbling into the lane. We could of used an actual power forward instead of Q and Taylor trying to make it work after Benny quit on the team. Would not hurt if those two could also hit a damn jumper once or twice last season too. These deficiencies meant the team actually needed Judah to score a heck of a lot. And he did, to the tune of second in scoring in the ACC along with 4th in assists. He does not get nearly enough credit for his production. His PG skills are just so damn far down the list of problems with the team last year, yet he gets trashed like he was the only problem.

The hate for Judah has snowballed out of control on here. I hope no future cuse players get treated the same way, especially one who contributed as much as he did. Save it for quitters and traitors like Benny and Maliq.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom