Judah and the next level | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Judah and the next level

This is among one of the strangest sports things I've ever heard of. Strap in and read on...
It was brought up in the NBA thread. Amazing that none of this was common knowledge months or years ago. Obviously people knew.

Should have a nice career with Utah assuming he is focused.

It was brought up in the NBA thread. Amazing that none of this was common knowledge months or years ago. Obviously people knew.

Should have a nice career with Utah assuming he is focused.
Media alway protecting Duke. The Times Picayune in New Orleans did an article on Chris Duhon’s recruitment (totally improper stuff) and NO ONE in the national sports media ran with it. Speaking of Problems with Duke....

Media alway protecting Duke. The Times Picayune in New Orleans did an article on Chris Duhon’s recruitment (totally improper stuff) and NO ONE in the national sports media ran with it. Speaking of Problems with Duke...
I'm not disagreeing but that's over 20 years old. Nowadays, a lot of so-called media members are loosy-goosey with their info. People would rather be first than be right.

And everyone and their brother has a podcast. Many of them hate on Duke. Especially the ones who get compared to Christian Laettner. I love reading and digging through random stuff on X and kind of mad I didn't know this.

I'm not disagreeing but that's over 20 years old. Nowadays, a lot of so-called media members are loosy-goosey with their info. People would rather be first than be right.

And everyone and their brother has a podcast. Many of them hate on Duke. Especially the ones who get compared to Christian Laettner. I love reading and digging through random stuff on X and kind of mad I didn't know this.
If it was out there, folks like you would have found it.

Apparently only his family and the Duke coaching staff knew the entire situation. It wasn’t really public knowledge

This is among one of the strangest sports things I've ever heard of. Strap in and read on...
I feel dirty/dumb for having clicked into that site…. Straight from the Crazy State, natch.

Is there a chance the groomer was trying to get him to Utah (picks 29 and 32)? Can't help but wonder if that was her target so she could get him away from his family and friends and fully emerged in her culture.

His family must be sick that of all the NBA teams to draft him, it's Utah, given the circumstances.

Getting back to Judah, I'm shocked that he hasn't yet appeared on a summer league team or been offered a 2 way contract. In most articles I read, he was listed as just falling short of being a 2nd rounder. Could he be turning down offers and being selective?

Is there a chance the groomer was trying to get him to Utah (picks 29 and 32)? Can't help but wonder if that was her target so she could get him away from his family and friends and fully emerged in her culture.

His family must be sick that of all the NBA teams to draft him, it's Utah, given the circumstances.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I feel a personal need on multiple levels to set the record straight on a few things.

I live in Utah after growing up in Syracuse. This isn't common in Utah.

I'm also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). If grooming occurred, as alleged, that's not something we teach in the Church. I'm also responsible for what's taught in Sunday School for 7 local congregations as part of the calling I have (callings are volunteer assignments accepted by members to support their local congregation/s). My point in mentioning that is I have deep familiarity with what the church teaches and the material everyone teaches from. All of the various curricula taught can be found in Libraries at Homepage - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The current Sunday School curriculum is called Come, Follow Me. You can also find the training resource for teachers in the other manuals section called Teaching in the Savior's Way.

Now, I don't know the personal details of the relationship, but some things aren't adding up.

First, Mormons have a fascination with people from the faith that rise to the level of celebrity. We have a weirdly encyclopedic awareness of famous or internet famous people that are currently in the faith or were once in the faith. Supposedly Filipowski converted to the faith via his relationship with this woman. Nobody, including rabid Jazz fans that are Mormon, knew that until the brother's tweets. It's extremely unusual that a high profile athlete would be a member of the church and that would be completely unknown. Do we actually know for sure or have seen it confirmed anywhere that Filipowski identifies as a member of the church? I haven't seen that, and if he does, the circumstances are a bit unusual because...

Second, the church is really big on the law of chastity. The idea that this woman seduced him into conversion is just... bizarre. I'm skeptical that he would have been permitted to get baptized if it was known he was sleeping with her. The church is also big on teaching that the powers of creation are beautiful and sacred and should be expressed after marriage between spouses, not before. Are we even certain this woman is currently practicing the faith?

Third, and I've mentioned this elsewhere, there's a stereotype that "Mormons are weird" and far too often what ends up happening is a mental short cut, where something weird happens by someone associated with Mormonism, because "Mormons are weird," it's just quickly assessed that it must be part of Mormonism, instead of viewing the actions of the individual as their own, and the whole religion is cast in the light of one person's actions. It definitely seems like people are jumping to these kinds of conclusions with this idea of "Mormon grooming." It sounds sensational, Mormons are weird anyway, so it's believable to some. But it's also extremely frustrating as a person in the faith, and in a religion that is really misunderstood, and often caricatured in media. I saw a post on a Jazz forum that I haven't been able to find from someone that knows the woman's family and claims it's been years since she has identified with the church and hasn't gone to church for years. How "Mormon" is a person like that? Now, who knows if that's true either about her, but I do find a lot of news stories where people have committed a crime or done something terrible and part of the demographic details are that they're Mormon. And then later it comes out that they were baptized and briefly attended services years ago and weren't currently practicing. But the Mormon association sticks.

Now, here's the thing - I'm not saying that association shouldn't stick. Part of the Savior's mission was serving the sick and the afflicted. People need help, and I'd rather my faith have open arms to the imperfect and try and help them (to say nothing of the doctrine that we all fall short and need a Savior). It's not better for religions to turn people away because they might be problematic later. Better to try and serve them and help them and hope they grow and become the best they can as they learn and follow good teachings. We're human though, so it doesn't always work. But it doesn't always mean that the thing they failed in happened because Mormons taught them to fail in some weird way.

To wrap up, and in response to the post I quoted, I wouldn't make the assumption that somehow she had a master plan to get him to Utah because of "the culture." There are so many things that don't make sense and are really inconsistent in this story. It is a weird story. Family estrangements like are alleged here almost always have an unusual element to them. But please everyone, be careful about casting aspersions on entire populations of people in religions and US states based on the alleged actions of one person.

Mormons aren't as weird as you're told and Utah is a boringly normal place to live.

Getting back to Judah, I'm shocked that he hasn't yet appeared on a summer league team or been offered a 2 way contract. In most articles I read, he was listed as just falling short of being a 2nd rounder. Could he be turning down offers and being selective?

We'll see if he gets attached somewhere (would be a bit surprised if he didn't even get a summer league spot), but I wouldn't bet on him sticking anywhere even if he does get on a Summer League roster.

Summer League starts in the next week, so we'll know soon.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I feel a personal need on multiple levels to set the record straight on a few things.

I'm also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). If grooming occurred, as alleged, that's not something we teach in the Church. I'm also responsible for what's taught in Sunday School for 7 local congregations as part of the calling I have (callings are volunteer assignments accepted by members to support their local congregation/s). My point in mentioning that is I have deep familiarity with what the church teaches and the material everyone teaches from. All of the various curricula taught can be found in Libraries at Homepage - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The current Sunday School curriculum is called Come, Follow Me. You can also find the training resource for teachers in the other manuals section called Teaching in the Savior's Way.

Now, I don't know the personal details of the relationship, but some things aren't adding up.

First, Mormons have a fascination with people from the faith that rise to the level of celebrity. We have a weirdly encyclopedic awareness of famous or internet famous people that are currently in the faith or were once in the faith. Supposedly Filipowski converted to the faith via his relationship with this woman. Nobody, including rabid Jazz fans that are Mormon, knew that until the brother's tweets. It's extremely unusual that a high profile athlete would be a member of the church and that would be completely unknown. Do we actually know for sure or have seen it confirmed anywhere that Filipowski identifies as a member of the church? I haven't seen that, and if he does, the circumstances are a bit unusual because...

Second, the church is really big on the law of chastity. The idea that this woman seduced him into conversion is just... bizarre. I'm skeptical that he would have been permitted to get baptized if it was known he was sleeping with her. The church is also big on teaching that the powers of creation are beautiful and sacred and should be expressed after marriage between spouses, not before. Are we even certain this woman is currently practicing the faith?

Third, and I've mentioned this elsewhere, there's a stereotype that "Mormons are weird" and far too often what ends up happening is a mental short cut, where something weird happens by someone associated with Mormonism, because "Mormons are weird," it's just quickly assessed that it must be part of Mormonism, instead of viewing the actions of the individual as their own, and the whole religion is cast in the light of one person's actions. It definitely seems like people are jumping to these kinds of conclusions with this idea of "Mormon grooming." It sounds sensational, Mormons are weird anyway, so it's believable to some. But it's also extremely frustrating as a person in the faith, and in a religion that is really misunderstood, and often caricatured in media. I saw a post on a Jazz forum that I haven't been able to find from someone that knows the woman's family and claims it's been years since she has identified with the church and hasn't gone to church for years. How "Mormon" is a person like that? Now, who knows if that's true either about her, but I do find a lot of news stories where people have committed a crime or done something terrible and part of the demographic details are that they're Mormon. And then later it comes out that they were baptized and briefly attended services years ago and weren't currently practicing. But the Mormon association sticks.

Now, here's the thing - I'm not saying that association shouldn't stick. Part of the Savior's mission was serving the sick and the afflicted. People need help, and I'd rather my faith have open arms to the imperfect and try and help them (to say nothing of the doctrine that we all fall short and need a Savior). It's not better for religions to turn people away because they might be problematic later. Better to try and serve them and help them and hope they grow and become the best they can as they learn and follow good teachings. We're human though, so it doesn't always work. But it doesn't always mean that the thing they failed in happened because Mormons taught them to fail in some weird way.

To wrap up, and in response to the post I quoted, I wouldn't make the assumption that somehow she had a master plan to get him to Utah because of "the culture." There are so many things that don't make sense and are really inconsistent in this story. It is a weird story. Family estrangements like are alleged here almost always have an unusual element to them. But please everyone, be careful about casting aspersions on entire populations of people in religions and US states based on the alleged actions of one person.

Mormons aren't as weird as you're told and Utah is a boringly normal place to live.
Good post - the age thing and the start of the relationship is what's odd to me. The religion involved makes no difference, other than the assumptions that are being made as compared to if it was another faith involved. That said I wish the Mormon religion had it as together as my Roman Catholic leaders did/do....nothing "weird" going on there.

I don't want to touch a lot of this, but, in general, it should be known that the league office and the teams know almost everything that is going on with these guys.

Listen to Melo et al talk about their discussions with Stern. Even listen to guys talk about what they divulge and don't, etc.

You aren't sinking millions of dollars and tons of time into these guys without knowing what they eat for breakfast and what side of the bed they sleep on. There aren't a lot of "guesses" anymore.

Just consider that when you think there are any "accidents" or "coincidences" in seeing what NBA events transpire.

Again, the Flip stuff in detail, imo, should be moved to the OT board and I prob am being hypocritical even writing this post, but Flip didn't slide on accident.

If he was going around telling teams he will only play for Utah that would have been big news by now I would think.

That said. He's a 7 footer who is efficient in the post and efficient shooting 3s. He's not the 32nd best player in this weak draft. So something is going on.

Good post - the age thing and the start of the relationship is what's odd to me. The religion involved makes no difference, other than the assumptions that are being made as compared to if it was another faith involved. That said I wish the Mormon religion had it as together as my Roman Catholic leaders did/do...nothing "weird" going on there.
Yeah, if what's alleged is true, it's weird.

What I'm trying to help make clear is she wasn't taught by the Mormon church, in the course of the faith's usual doctrine and teaching, to do this weird thing.

Young people in the church are taught in Sunday School to consider ways they can share the gospel with others, and to consider if s proselytizing mission or other missionary service might be right for them.

They're not taught to hook up with people younger than them as a means of conversion.

I'm not sure if you found my post offensive, but to be clear I'm not saying anything negative about Mormon culture or Mormons or Utah. I only know a handful personally, but everyone in that culture/religion I know or met have been wonderful people.

And I'm sure grooming isn't common in the culture or taught in the church. I think most understand that. If the story is true, this is a grooming problem, not a Mormon problem. If she groomed him as a minor, she should be in jail. And, again if true, it's because this girl is sick in the head, not because the Mormon culture is sick.

I'm not sure if you found my post offensive, but to be clear I'm not saying anything negative about Mormon culture or Mormons or Utah. I only know a handful personally, but everyone in that culture/religion I know or met have been wonderful people.

And I'm sure grooming isn't common in the culture or taught in the church. I think most understand that. If the story is true, this is a grooming problem, not a Mormon problem. If she groomed him as a minor, she should be in jail. And, again if true, it's because this girl is sick in the head, not because the Mormon culture is sick.
No worries, wasn't offended, have just seen some conversation around everything and felt I had some firsthand perspective worth sharing.

If he was going around telling teams he will only play for Utah that would have been big news by now I would think.

That said. He's a 7 footer who is efficient in the post and efficient shooting 3s. He's not the 32nd best player in this weak draft. So something is going on.

Do keep in mind he had to get his hips shaved down/surgery. I'm not making that up.

He may have the innate talent, but seven footers that have to have surgery like that are going to have some concerns (on top of the other stuff).

it's not like he's an athletic freak either.

Utah has arguably the best mountain biking in the country. I tried moving out there a number of years ago just for that. So I have to disagree with your last statement.

At the risk of further digressing...

Places like Vancouver/Whistler (I know, not technically this country, but it's America's Hat),
Sedona,
Kingdom Trails in VT, and -
Bentonville, Ark may beg to differ.

Pretty much everywhere has better beer than Utah, so there's that too.

Utah has arguably the best mountain biking in the country. I tried moving out there a number of years ago just for that. So I have to disagree with your last statement.
I'll take it.

This whole sub thread is NEXT LEVEL weird.
Having looked to move to Utah, im familiar with the “Mormon Wall.” Kind of like the “Seattle Freeze” but even more stringent (not inviting people into the community until everyone is super certain they’re bought in).

So was the family releasing this info a draft night revenge play like the dude who released the gas mask video on NFL Draft night?

This whole sub thread is NEXT LEVEL weird.
Having looked to move to Utah, im familiar with the “Mormon Wall.” Kind of like the “Seattle Freeze” but even more stringent (not inviting people into the community until everyone is super certain they’re bought in).
Not to keep the tangent going, but as someone not of the Mormon faith who moved to Utah about 8 years ago I think the notion of the Mormon Wall is a bit overblown. We found our neighbors to be very friendly, very welcoming...even after it was clear we shared different beliefs.

Anyway, the whole situation with Flip is bizarre at best, disturbing at it's worst.

Any not sure why anyone really though Judah was NBA material - he's a small guy who doesn't distribute the ball at that well, doesn't shoot all that well, and couldn't stay upright versus skinny college guys. The NBA sized guys would destroy him getting to the rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom