Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 106 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.

But this kid has an irrational confidence, which is great on the floor. Rationally, he should come back, especially in an NIL world. Emotionally, seems clear what he wants to do.

The only thing I do not want to have happen is for him to wind up at a different school next year….
Well, you're in luck.. because that's impossible.

It's funny. We used to wonder about a guy who was the #3 pick in the draft coming back and now we wonder about someone that may not get drafted. My thing against the GLeague is yeah you get to devote full time to basketball. But you are competing against your teammates as much as competing with your teammates. Everyone else on your team has one goal, getting to the NBA before you.
plus youre anonymous...

raise your hand if youve ever circled a date for gleague game on your calendar...

or even watched a single full gleague game...

No he wouldn't be. But he would be a kid that could move himself up to a first round pick with a year where he develops more. Most of those other kids didn't have that option.
Or he could do irreparable harm to his draft status if his skills were to decline or he sustains an injury.

There is a lot of risk in his decision. If he leaves it is his choice and reduces his level of risk.

if he returned and everything goes his way in improving skills, leadership and 3 point shooting, it could mean multiple millions.

There is always that level of risk.

Only way of avoiding G League is to be a 1st or early 2nd round pick in most cases.
I’d say he’s very likely to end up in the GLeague next season regardless of where he’s drafted. Feels like most rookies play in the GLeague nowadays and late first = mostly playoff teams where they’ll probably want him in the GLeague (though with some picks being traded and the new CBA, maybe this part won’t end up being true).

It’s been complete radio silence for a very long time here. All social media, and other information seems to be trending toward him staying in the draft. At this point I have no idea how this will shake out, but it’s certainly not trending toward us.

The fact that we’re having this debate is all the more reason for him to come back. And I’m usually always in the camp for kids to go get paid, but now they can stay, get paid, and especially in Judah’s situation, improve their stock. This isn’t like previous players we’ve had that already maxed out. Judah has loads of untapped potential. Yes, he can reach it in the G League too, but there’s a risk that he gets lost in the shuffle. At Syracuse he will be playing 35 minutes a night, in the ACC with the ability to hone his skills, and showcase them.

It’s been complete radio silence for a very long time here. All social media, and other information seems to be trending toward him staying in the draft. At this point I have no idea how this will shake out, but it’s certainly not trending toward us.
I'm not so sure of that. I think he is waiting to hear something that he hasn't heard yet.

The fact that we’re having this debate is all the more reason for him to come back. And I’m usually always in the camp for kids to go get paid, but now they can stay, get paid, and especially in Judah’s situation, improve their stock. This isn’t like previous players we’ve had that already maxed out. Judah has loads of untapped potential. Yes, he can reach it in the G League too, but there’s a risk that he gets lost in the shuffle. At Syracuse he will be playing 35 minutes a night, in the ACC with the ability to hone his skills, and showcase them.
This is where I'm at. I'm a huge proponent of dude's getting their bag as early and often as possible as a general rule.

Judah's calculus feels different though. I'll root for him if he stays in the draft, but I genuinely believe he can snag way more upside with a big year of college ball. I don't see that same opportunity for everybody.

That's the way that it's looked for a long time, given how quiet the Mintz camp has been. Have to assume he's staying in.

I'm not so sure of that. I think he is waiting to hear something that he hasn't heard yet.
It's an interesting thing to watch unfold.

How many times do you need to be told "we like you but we can't guarantee we will pick you" before you realize the answer to your question isn't the one you want to hear?

And after you hear this answer over and over again, how much do you believe the hype from the outside (i.e. the guy on Instagram who keeps pumping him up, or the agents/personnel that would benefit from him making any amount of money and don't care about the best decision for the kid) over the intel that you're receiving from the teams themselves?

Interesting game of chicken being played. I hope it works out regardless of the decision, but I think it's clear what that decision should be and what the feedback received has been.

(Please do not take this the wrong way - I do want what's best for the kid, but I'm of the opinion that if you're leaving for a non-guaranteed 2-way contract and a possible late 2nd round pick, it's not the right decision in the new NIL world.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom