Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist?

Full disclosure obviously I feel differently about players coming in instead of out, which I guess is hypocritical but that's being a fan. But also let's look at the key difference between who we've gotten and who we've lost the last few years, and it objectively seems like we're getting burned and the guys we receive aren't burning anyone:

our Transfers:
-Starling - coach fired and whole team left
-Cuffe - buried on the bench at the best program in the sport and never likely to play much
-Westry - injured and barely played last year and coach screwed up his redshirt by 1 minute PT too much
-McLeod - bench piece playing 10 mpg

Our transfers last year:
-Hima - bench on bad mid major

Our transfers the year before that:
-Symir - bench piece playing 10 mpg
-Cole - bench piece who was limited
-Jimmy - coach's son from a mid major taking a step up

Now let's look at who we're upset about losing:
-potentially Judah - most talented player on team, first player getting even a little draft buzz in a few years, and Day 1 starter with the keys to the offense
-potentially Maliq - insiders have posted concerns but not sure if he's actually looking - most important player on the team and a starter
-maybe others but outside of Copeland and Westry I won't be upset about anyone else leaving so I won't have this reaction

Last year who we were upset about losing:
-Jesse - starter, All ACC previous year, best player and would be team leader and featured in offense
-Joe - 4 year starter, albeit different circumstances because he would have played less here
-no one cared about Bol entering the portal or Symir transferring because they were bench pieces and no one felt burned

Prior to that -
Frank - bench piece who received lots of coaching criticism so it made sense and while we wanted him to stay we weren't flipping because we understood why he left. That's 3 years so not getting into Guerrier, who was a starter and JB said could be an all american here, and Kadary, who was our best pg but it made sense that he left if he wasn't starting over JG, and the other depth such as braswell etc. who people didn't flip over since they weren't the featured guys here.

So the guys we receive aren't burning their program - we're not getting key starters so far. (Not that I wouldn't welcome starters burning their previous program with open arms because I'm a Cuse fan.) But the guys we're losing are starting, getting loads of PT and freedom, and therefore it feels like more of a burn. Of course I'm practical and understand it's now a business decision and we can't expect our players to bleed orange like we do or the old players did, but it sucks adjusting to this. Feels like we're getting burned more than we're burning others. And that's the landscape now so hopefully we respond in kind (disclaimer - I'm not doubting we will, just explaining what I've noticed the last couple years and why my reaction, and other's reactions, are strong).

TLDR: I'm sad and want us to be good.
Good post. Our incoming transfers are not major pieces on their teams to date. JJ was a good piece to ND and is the closest thing to a major piece on his former team and then came to us.

If we are losing major pieces but receive bench guys (and idc if they were bench players on Kansas etc. they’re bench players)…. This isn’t going to go well. We need to grab better transfers in this current marketplace or we will be left in the dust.

The answer to the transfer portal is simple. We all need to get in on funding SUMBB NIL with the same push that we did for FB.

We as fans need to provide the coaches with the necessary funds to keep and bring in the players they want. If the MBB program is properly funded to complete in NIL and the coaches want to keep Judah, then they should be able to pay to keep him. Otherwise cut him loose and spend the money on another player they want more.

We don't have to allow other programs to buy our players away. We have a huge fanbase and if everyone contributes then we should have more than enough money.

After Dickinson there weren't many bigs to go after who we thought would be immediately eligible.

Syracuse, Clemson, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Georgetown, Memphis, Rutgers, Minnesota and Ole Miss all had initially reached out. Kansas and Villanova also showed interest.

It wasn't like we recruited him against mid majors.
The difference was most of those schools were looking at McLeod as a backup 5 and we had a starting spot open

The difference was most of those schools were looking at McLeod as a backup 5 and we had a starting spot open
That's fair, but it wasn't like the bigs available were that great. It was discussed at the time ad nauseum here last spring.

Judah doesn't appear to be an NBA player at this point, and I think all parties understand that.

So in that case, you should try and profit off of your skills while you can. He can probably make a decent bag in Europe, but he can also spend the next few years making a big bag at another program, so I'm not surprised he's shopping around.

He also clearly isn't appreciated here even though he's responsible for a good chunk of our success. Provided we have the money to keep him here, and still upgrade other positions, I'd keep him if he wants to stay.

But a leak like this is definitely intentional and sounds like it's from his camp, which during the season isn't a great look.

That's fair, but it wasn't like the bigs available were that great. It was discussed at the time ad nauseum here last spring.
The centers depth available during the last two portal cycles haven’t been great overall. The whole 2 time transfer uncertainty last year didn’t help us with the Moussa Cisse and Efton Reids of the world either

So you're Red and have to put a figure on it.
What would you offer Mintz to keep him around??
sitepandawhalecom GIF

True. Given the lack of center options in the portal and given we probably would have been a tournament team if we had Jesse, I wonder if they regret not playing Jesse's shady little game. In hindsight, would they pay a few hundred thousand bucks more to make the tournament? I would think so.

The truth is you said, and I quote, “The kid is good enough to be an NBA player.” That’s a definitive statement. No ifs, ands, or buts. The only illusion is your attempt to walk that back.
I'm not walking it back. I appreciate your need to argue EVERYTHING. He needs to work at it, but he has the talent to be an NBA player. I should have probably worded it that way, I do apologize, but jesus christ stop looking to argue.

I am hazarding a guess that they are onto plan B, since plan A (the NBA) is no longer looking likely. Shorter - I agree with you.
Sadly I agree with you. I concur this will be more and more the case as we get deeper into the dark world of NIL!! The rich will just get richer. I had a similar situation back in the 1990s and I cold turkey dropped MLB when the teams with all the money ruined the game. Exactly where we are headed with college sports.

The rich will just get richer.
Again this is not what is playing out so far. Teams only have 5 starting jobs and 13 roster spots and players have agency to make decisions. If you're trying to get to the NBA is it better to take $150k to start and play 30 mpg for Miami or get $200k to be the 7/8th man at Duke and get 10-15 mpg?

Georgetown throws out that number because they know it’s big. Creighton only needs 2M to consistently kick their butts though so not sure more than 2x will do much. There’s so much lying in the NIL game.

If I had to guess Judah is getting 200-400k this year. If Georgetown wants to throw a huge number at him, so be it.
I think your number is accurate and it's at the high end or slightly above. Not sure he would have come back if it were at the low end.

Dude, he is disliked HERE. Imagine this switch when he is driving and drawing beau coup fouls against us...
The refs have adjusted to his game. They’re not calling as many fouls and I would expect that to continue next season. Given that, I would also expect him to regress.

If he can get paid, he might as well take advantage. I just think it would be a waste of SU’s resources, so anywhere but here.

Judah doesn't appear to be an NBA player at this point, and I think all parties understand that.

So in that case, you should try and profit off of your skills while you can. He can probably make a decent bag in Europe, but he can also spend the next few years making a big bag at another program, so I'm not surprised he's shopping around.

He also clearly isn't appreciated here even though he's responsible for a good chunk of our success. Provided we have the money to keep him here, and still upgrade other positions, I'd keep him if he wants to stay.

But a leak like this is definitely intentional and sounds like it's from his camp, which during the season isn't a great look.
If that’s the case, Red should show him the door. It’s not like we’re making the tournament. Make a statement and let next year’s core use the rest of the season to grow together.

I'm not walking it back. I appreciate your need to argue EVERYTHING. He needs to work at it, but he has the talent to be an NBA player. I should have probably worded it that way, I do apologize, but jesus christ stop looking to argue.
I’m only arguing with you, dude. Maybe own up to it a little earlier next time. Then there isn’t an argument, is there?

The refs have adjusted to his game. They’re not calling as many fouls and I would expect that to continue next season. Given that, I would also expect him to regress.

If he can get paid, he might as well take advantage. I just think it would be a waste of SU’s resources, so anywhere but here.
So the refs have made a midseason adjustment to the way they call games? They all got together and decided they were giving Judah too many trips to the line? Did some refs miss the memo when Judah was sent to the line 15+ times three times in the past month?

Looks like you are just trying to build into your narrative here.

Judah came in as a Top 75 player and has played to at least that level in his almost two years. We saw potential and wanted more, including a much more consistent perimeter game, bud unfortunately that has yet to develop. He had been in the Top 3 of the ACC in assists AND scoring most of the year but needs to tighten up his handle and control his frustration when things don't go well. We are lucky to have reeled him in so late in the recruiting cycle and would struggle to replace him if he were to leave,

I would bet he is putting the work in. Become a good outside shooter rarely happens later for players. Sure they can improve but I doubt that Judah ever becomes a knock down three shooter, just like Joe was never going to develop a great handle. Both of these guys are extremely skilled in one aspect, average in another. Excellent college players who don't have the all around greatness required to make the NBA.
My guess is Judah takes a pay day. Has a cup of coffee in the NBA and a great career overseas.
I have no doubt Judah is putting in the work-He's going to be a professional player whether in the NBA or overseas. What I think people overlook is the confidence factor in shooting, particularly related to guys less than 2 years out of HS. Judah was shooting very well towards the end of last season. Just like Taylor has lost confidence in his shot, it appears Judah has lost a little confidence in his 3-point shooting stroke. You can see his hesitancy to shoot it during recent games. He and Justin didn't just forget how to shoot.

So the refs have made a midseason adjustment to the way they call games? They all got together and decided they were giving Judah too many trips to the line? Did some refs miss the memo when Judah was sent to the line 15+ times three times in the past month?
Today is literally the last time you can say that (unless he gets 15+ attempts tomorrow). He’s had more games with five attempts or fewer in that same time span. During non-conference play, he was second overall in FT attempts. Now he’s sixth. He had 18 attempts the first game against NC St. and only 7 the second game. You saw how much he was complaining about the no-calls the other night. You saw some of our fans complaining about it in the game thread. There’s a clear trend.

That’s the thing I can hardly blame him. Big NIL is Life changing money and it’s likely more than he’ll make as a pro. Even if after taxes it’s only a few hundred grand more, he could use the surplus to have a downpayment on a house, and put a bunch in the market and he’ll have many many millions for retirement without contributing another cent. His family is smart upper middle class and they’ll know what to do with the money for him. Sucks for us and the program.
And do you think some kid in the NIL marketplace (not speaking specifically about Mr. Mintz) is actually going to do any of the things you and I might think he should do w/ the money? Good luck w/ that. Just as likely they get dinged by the IRS

And do you think some kid in the NIL marketplace (not speaking specifically about Mr. Mintz) is actually going to do any of the things you and I might think he should do w/ the money? Good luck w/ that. Just as likely they get dinged by the IRS
Many won't. Some will. It's up to the families and advisors to teach them. Coaches and universities should be giving life lessons on this stuff too for those who aren't getting good advice from their families. I imagine all or at least the vast majority of them understand they have to pay taxes on it - whether they do so is another matter.

Judah's and Jesse's families strike me as the type to know their 20 year old sons should be earning compound interest on that money instead of buying a 150k car etc.

I think this entire thread is wrong. Judah is a SU Guy. He may be from DC but not from GTown. We all want our players to be the best and wishing them the best. I do not wish Georgetown an anybody for Basketball.

Stay Judah Stay (in the spirit of Forest Gump ==> Run Forest Run)

GO CUSE

Why does this board bring up taxes so much? It's super weird.

Today is literally the last time you can say that (unless he gets 15+ attempts tomorrow). He’s had more games with five attempts or fewer in that same time span. During non-conference play, he was second overall in FT attempts. Now he’s sixth. He had 18 attempts the first game against NC St. and only 7 the second game. You saw how much he was complaining about the no-calls the other night. You saw some of our fans complaining about it in the game thread. There’s a clear trend.
Yup, launching into the body of the defender is not being rewarded, even if the defender could have been called. And especially on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom