Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist?

Judah came in as a Top 75 player and has played to at least that level in his almost two years. We saw potential and wanted more, including a much more consistent perimeter game, bud unfortunately that has yet to develop. He had been in the Top 3 of the ACC in assists AND scoring most of the year but needs to tighten up his handle and control his frustration when things don't go well. We are lucky to have reeled him in so late in the recruiting cycle and would struggle to replace him if he were to leave,
This is the right take. I know it feels underwhelming that Judah didn't turn into a lotto pick or even late first rounder as the board consensus was this offseason. But despite his flaws he's still supremely talented and not someone that can be easily replaced.

Someone else made this point but would not be a great look to continue this trend of super talented guys walking out the door. Perceptions develop quickly and true or not we don't want to be viewed as a program that won't pay up to retain our most talented guys.

Not as is. He heard what the NBA said and then did nothing to improve.
We don't know that he did nothing. Maybe he just isn't ever going to be a good shooter.

This is the right take. I know it feels underwhelming that Judah didn't turn into a lotto pick or even late first rounder as the board consensus was this offseason. But despite his flaws he's still supremely talented and not someone that can be easily replaced.

Someone else made this point but would not be a great look to continue this trend of super talented guys walking out the door. Perceptions develop quickly and true or not we don't want to be viewed as a program that won't pay up to retain our most talented guys.
I can appreciate his talent and what he brings to this team, but I disagree with this. I think the way he plays puts a ceiling on the team. Just my opinion.

Could we be worse...even much worse...definitely, but fwiw, I wasn't expecting him back regardless and if we looked back to the "Judah is coming back for his Soph year" post I bet 90% of us or more expected him to leave after this year, so if he goes to GTown or wherever...doesnt really affect the path we were going in regardless.

We don't know that he did nothing. Maybe he just isn't ever going to be a good shooter.
I agree, we don't know what he did. But, his shot looks EXACTLY the same. It would seem that fixing his shot would start with squaring up, he still doesn't square up.

I agree, we don't know what he did. But, his shot looks EXACTLY the same. It would seem that fixing his shot would start with squaring up, he still doesn't square up.
Judah exaggerates it a little too much, but most shooters are taught not to be squared up anymore. You want to be angled a little to your left (shooting right handed) to help you align your arm more comfortably towards the hoop. I think in terms of his mechanics, it's more of an issue where his upper and lower body aren't really in sync with one another.

I can appreciate his talent and what he brings to this team, but I disagree with this. I think the way he plays puts a ceiling on the team. Just my opinion.

Could we be worse...even much worse...definitely, but fwiw, I wasn't expecting him back regardless and if we looked back to the "Judah is coming back for his Soph year" post I bet 90% of us or more expected him to leave after this year, so if he goes to GTown or wherever...doesnt really affect the path we were going in regardless.
Many of us share that opinion.

Yeah if Gmac hasn’t at least tweaked it for the better yet after 60 games and 2 years….probably not happening unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_2597.jpeg
    IMG_2597.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 34
Judah exaggerates it a little too much, but most shooters are taught not to be squared up anymore. You want to be angled a little to your left (shooting right handed) to help you align your arm more comfortably towards the hoop. I think in terms of his mechanics, it's more of an issue where his upper and lower body aren't really in sync with one another.
The ball should bring your lower body up with it. Judah always looks like he is fighting himself outside of 17 feet. He gets twisted and seems to miss short. I still think he can become a decent three point shooter. It’s just not natural to him.

And do you think some kid in the NIL marketplace (not speaking specifically about Mr. Mintz) is actually going to do any of the things you and I might think he should do w/ the money? Good luck w/ that. Just as likely they get dinged by the IRS
It's a bit ridiculous to assume every kid is taking their NIL money and blowing it on stupid things when a lot of the evidence is the contrary.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to assume the people giving "financial advice" on this site are actually financially stable.

Plenty of "investors" make idiotic decisions on a regular basis.

G Mac would tweak it if Judah was willing to listen.
And there it is. He doesn’t respond to coaching, period. He thinks he knows what’s best, so he does what he wants. His family appears to enable that mindset.

It’s obvious that Red wants to run the offense in a way that differs from whatever Mintz is trying to do. You can see that when Mintz is off the floor. And there’s no way Red wants Mintz gambling for steals on defense.

The ball should bring your lower body up with it. Judah always looks like he is fighting himself outside of 17 feet. He gets twisted and seems to miss short. I still think he can become a decent three point shooter. It’s just not natural to him.
I don't understand anyone playing a sport that doesn't break down video on their own. We all have the technology, there is nothing to it, it is so easy to compare. No one successfully shoots the way he does. Why insist on doing it the hard way? It's wild to me to have all that talent and be able to do all the hard gifted stuff and then ignore this low hanging fruit.

Any way you slice it, this is impressive:
Mintz is just the sixth Syracuse player to reach 1,000 in his sophomore year. The others are: Lawrence Moten, Gerry McNamara, Billy Owens, Tyus Battle and Jonny Flynn.

It's a bit ridiculous to assume every kid is taking their NIL money and blowing it on stupid things when a lot of the evidence is the contrary.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to assume the people giving "financial advice" on this site are actually financially stable.

Plenty of "investors" make idiotic decisions on a regular basis.
First, I never said every young adult will blow their NIL on stupid things. Indeed there are great examples right here at SU of young adults doing great things with their NIL. And I am hoping they and there advisors do not turn around and not blow it on stupid things but rather idiotic investments.

I don't understand anyone playing a sport that doesn't break down video on their own. We all have the technology, there is nothing to it, it is so easy to compare. No one successfully shoots the way he does. Why insist on doing it the hard way? It's wild to me to have all that talent and be able to do all the hard gifted stuff and then ignore this low hanging fruit.
I would be interested to see if he shoots any different in drills than in games. Sometimes guys practice one way in a controlled environment and then hardwired habits kick in when the ball is tipped. I remember hearing Stevie Thompson was lights out shooting free throws in practice. We all know how that translated.

Again this is not what is playing out so far. Teams only have 5 starting jobs and 13 roster spots and players have agency to make decisions. If you're trying to get to the NBA is it better to take $150k to start and play 30 mpg for Miami or get $200k to be the 7/8th man at Duke and get 10-15 mpg?
...apologies, my comment was not directed at the players, rather the teams! The teams with the NIL money will get the pick of the litter year in and year out! As we all suspect the NIL game has been going on for years, it is just now above the table.

And there it is. He doesn’t respond to coaching, period. He thinks he knows what’s best, so he does what he wants. His family appears to enable that mindset.

It’s obvious that Red wants to run the offense in a way that differs from whatever Mintz is trying to do. You can see that when Mintz is off the floor. And there’s no way Red wants Mintz gambling for steals on defense.
I wish CLMintz would give us his opinion, but it appears he’s deleted his membership

His lack of judgment negates his talent.

How many times is an NBA coach going to let a PG on a fast break ignore the other 2 players so that he can dribble into a double team at the rim?

One, that's how many, and then he'll get optioned to the Idaho team in the G League.

I wish CLMintz would give us his opinion, but it appears he’s deleted his membership
I wonder why??!!!

Ignorant comments like the one you responded to clutter 80% of threads like this. Posters state as fact negatives about these kids with zero first hand knowledge what their values and motivations are. Well meaning posters with real personal information don’t stick around long in that type of an environment.

Nothing wrong with critiquing the play, but when the line is crossed to demean the character of the player no positive purpose is served.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom