Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist?

JJ has improved as the season has gone on, but he cannot be the point guard next year. He has 16 assists in 17 ACC games. We’ve had some gunners at the 2, but those are by far the worst assist numbers from anyone at that position in at least the last 20 years.

In conference JJ averages the same number of assists per 40 minutes as Bell. 1.1

I don’t know if that’s true - he does just fine dribbling when he has a chance, IMO.

I think if you play him with Copeland, that gives us enough dribbling.

We should do everything to keep Judah. That doesn't mean he needs to play as many minutes, or play exclusively at the 1.

Do you think he and Bell would accept maybe not starting next year? I think that's a hard sell, and the truth is that we need somebody better at each of their positions. They would be great on a second unit at the college level, where we only have to play them 15-20 minutes a game, not 30+.

We should do everything to keep Judah. That doesn't mean he needs to play as many minutes, or play exclusively at the 1.
Please please please do not make me suffer another Jesse Edwards

In conference JJ averages the same number of assists per 40 minutes as Bell. 1.1

JJ wouldn't be the PG; it would be Copeland or a portal guy.

JJ wouldn't be the PG; it would be Copeland or a portal guy.
Honest question can you play JJ, Copland, Bell, Freeman, and Brown together? Would have good overall size, able to switch everything on D. Bell is an elite shooter at this point. No real point guard but two bigs who can pass and move the ball. Copland and JJ can handle pressure. Donnie adds weak side shot blocking and rebounding. Westery, McLeod and Moore as main bench guys. How would that team do?

Last edited:
Honest question can you play JJ, Copland, Bell, Freeman, and Brown together? Would have good overall size, able to switch everything on D. Bell is an elite shooter at this point. No real point guard but two bigs who can pass and move the ball. Copland and JJ can handle pressure. Donnie adds weak side shot blocking and rebounding. Westery, McLeod and Moore as main bench guys. How would that team do?

I think you can, but only for part of the game. That would be a terrific lineup offensively speaking. But we need another shooter, a true big off the bench, and another PG. Freeman is built like Brown, with very skinny legs and not a lot of lower body strength.

Team won’t miss him nearly as much as people like to think.

Starling is a much better lead guard, and Copeland will more than make up for Mintz’s distribution.

We will be more than fine without him.
Okay, so you quoted the "He also clearly isn't appreciated here even though he's responsible for a good chunk of our success." part of my post.

Thanks for telling me to "stick to football" even though your post didn't have much to do with mine.

Of course there's a chance that we're better if he left next year DEPENDING on who comes in. There's also a chance we're worse if we don't adequately replace him as a lead guard. And your post is one of many that proves he clearly isn't appreciated here.

You can play that lineup, but it won't be good enough in the long run.

We need a PG and more shooting. That lineup has a great shooter in Bell who does nothing else and an improved shooter in JJ. Malik can knock down a wide open top of the key 3, but that's all we're getting at this point (can and should improve).

Copeland is not a PG and is too loose to ever be a full-time lead guard. He can DOMINATE certain opponents with size and creativity, but has never shown any consistency in playmaking, ballhandling and certainly shooting.

But the biggest issue is defensively. JJ, Copeland and Bell are all bad perimeter defenders. Malik is solid, Freeman is unknown, but we still have no paint presence with this lineup to make up for the perimeter D. We'd see similar results to what we've seen all year.

I don't know what the solution is. A true C with size and defensive ability would be great, but then we're taking Freeman off the court? A pure PG with the ability to defender would also go a long way.

The main thing this program needs to focus on is getting right defensively. This year has been an utter disaster in that area, and we aren't becoming a tourney team without significant improvements there. Our rebounding is the worst in the ACC and we are right there with Louisville in points and FG% allowed.

We need a PG and more shooting. That lineup has a great shooter in Bell who does nothing else and an improved shooter in JJ. Malik can knock down a wide open top of the key 3, but that's all we're getting at this point (can and should improve).

Copeland is not a PG and is too loose to ever be a full-time lead guard. He can DOMINATE certain opponents with size and creativity, but has never shown any consistency in playmaking, ballhandling and certainly shooting.

But the biggest issue is defensively. JJ, Copeland and Bell are all bad perimeter defenders. Malik is solid, Freeman is unknown, but we still have no paint presence with this lineup to make up for the perimeter D. We'd see similar results to what we've seen all year.

I don't know what the solution is. A true C with size and defensive ability would be great, but then we're taking Freeman off the court? A pure PG with the ability to defender would also go a long way.

The main thing this program needs to focus on is getting right defensively. This year has been an utter disaster in that area, and we aren't becoming a tourney team without significant improvements there. Our rebounding is the worst in the ACC and we are right there with Louisville in points and FG% allowed.

Good post, but I disagree with a couple things. I think Copeland is a plus defender when he's locked in, and I think his playmaking is quite good. He sees and makes some great passes that nobody else on this team can make. I don't think JJ is a bad defensive guard. I think his weakness may be in transition defense. Judah is the most matador of the bunch, in my opinion.

Copeland shooting 3s at 33% and JJ close to 40% would make a world of difference, and they're both capable, but it's a gamble to count on improvement instead of adding a proven player to start.

Starling is a much better lead guard, and Copeland will more than make up for Mintz’s distribution.

I would love for this to end up being true, but we haven't seen anything from JJ to suggest that it is. I can at least kinda get there with Copeland, though I think he's a more limited as a scorer than Judah is at the moment while offering a lot of the same frustrations as a distributor. He's admittedly made a lot of progress this season though and seems to be hitting his stride.

I would love for this to end up being true, but we haven't seen anything from JJ to suggest that it is. I can at least kinda get there with Copeland, though I think he's a more limited as a scorer than Judah is at the moment while offering a lot of the same frustrations as a distributor. He's admittedly made a lot of progress this season though and seems to be hitting his stride.

I would love to see a +/- for when JJ and Copeland are in together.
JJ seems to me to be quite undervalued on this board.

There’s a dude chirping on the cusembb insta that red doesn’t know what to do with Q and some other coach will. Q follows him. His only like on both comments are from Carl mintz. This toxic nonsense needs to be handled quickly.

I think a lot of this boils down to the pace that we're playing at. In terms of possessions per game, we're 3rd in the conference and 48th in the country. If you take pace out of the equation, we rank 10th in the conference in both offensive and defensive efficiency. Obviously that isn't particularly good, but point being, the offense and defense are roughly equally bad. We actually rank slightly better nationally with our defensive efficiency compared to our offense. We really need to find a way to improve our offensive spacing, which makes the Mintz/Copeland pairing tricky. They're both guys that the defense can pretty much abandon on the perimeter and that makes it a lot easier to muck everything else up.

We're in a really tricky place in terms of team construction. Ideally, you'd love to move Bell to a bench role since he doesn't really provide anything outside of shooting (though he has shown flashes of good defense but it's pretty few and far between), but we can't really afford to not have his shooting on the floor with Judah/Copeland. You'd love to get more of a paint deterrent on the floor, but that likely means moving Maliq or Freeman to the bench, and there's a case that they could be our best players next season. You'd love to get more perimeter shooting than Judah and Copeland currently provide, but they're pretty much the only creators we have right now and we haven't really shown the ability to land guys that can both shoot and create lately.

Good post, but I disagree with a couple things. I think Copeland is a plus defender when he's locked in, and I think his playmaking is quite good. He sees and makes some great passes that nobody else on this team can make. I don't think JJ is a bad defensive guard. I think his weakness may be in transition defense. Judah is the most matador of the bunch, in my opinion.
That's the problem with Copeland. He's not always locked in and you can see his D suffer. He's certainly the 'best' of the perimeter defenders, but he's still not good there. And agreed, he can make some great passes, but he also makes those same types of passes that aren't there multiple times a game, his handle is too loose and he throws up 2-3 and1 mixtape shots each game. He can trigger the point from time to time as he does now, but we can't have him the full time lead guard with all these major inconsistencies. Not if we want to get back to top 15-20 status.

JJ's D perplexes me. He should be better, but there doesn't seem to be any focus and he's constantly caught off balance or lost in screens. Maybe he'll be much better next year, but he's not good there now.

I think a lot of this boils down to the pace that we're playing at. In terms of possessions per game, we're 3rd in the conference and 48th in the country. If you take pace out of the equation, we rank 10th in the conference in both offensive and defensive efficiency. Obviously that isn't particularly good, but point being, the offense and defense are roughly equally bad. We actually rank slightly better nationally with our defensive efficiency compared to our offense. We really need to find a way to improve our offensive spacing, which makes the Mintz/Copeland pairing tricky. They're both guys that the defense can pretty much abandon on the perimeter and that makes it a lot easier to muck everything else up.

We're in a really tricky place in terms of team construction. Ideally, you'd love to move Bell to a bench role since he doesn't really provide anything outside of shooting (though he has shown flashes of good defense but it's pretty few and far between), but we can't really afford to not have his shooting on the floor with Judah/Copeland. You'd love to get more of a paint deterrent on the floor, but that likely means moving Maliq or Freeman to the bench, and there's a case that they could be our best players next season. You'd love to get more perimeter shooting than Judah and Copeland currently provide, but they're pretty much the only creators we have right now and we haven't really shown the ability to land guys that can both shoot and create lately.
Yep, that's my worry. We have some good players now and they play hard, but the fit isn't necessarily there. Red has his work cut out for himself to find the right fits and push the right buttons next year, assuming the core 4 non-Judah players are back.

Potentially our two best players will be PF's next year.
The shooter doesn't do much else.
The guards don't defend and are all shot first types. The latter can work, but there's not enough shooting or rebounding available around them.
Having multiple perimeter players on the court together that can't shoot is tough.
Still no clue where we get a Center that can play.

There’s a dude chirping on the cusembb insta that red doesn’t know what to do with Q and some other coach will. Q follows him. His only like on both comments are from Carl mintz. This toxic nonsense needs to be handled quickly.
Meh I get the concern, but if hangers-on/friends/family have opinions, it's certainly their right to say what they want. Saw this recently with the Dallas/Parsons's Brother deal. If Q says something, then there's reason to react, but otherwise, its noise

I don’t understand the mintz love affair. He’s elite at drawing fouls but doesn’t elevate his teammates, plays poor fundamental defense, and is not the most coachable.
Agree that he hasn’t contributed to winning team basketball but 18 point scorers at the HM level don’t grow on trees

JJ is not better at much than Judah, shooting? And I don’t even know about that. I think he makes better decisions, but not a fan of his game at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom