Judgement day Friday, Feb. 8, 2013 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Judgement day Friday, Feb. 8, 2013

Simple question, Will James Souherland suit up again for cuse?

• YES

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • NO

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
IF james cheated, he should be punished.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

I don't know if he cheated or not. I think it's unlikely they don't have pretty good evidence he did.

Some of you people need to take your heads out of the sand. Or don't, ignorance is bliss for some.

I don't know if he cheated or not. I think it's unlikely they don't have pretty good evidence he did.

Some of you people need to take your heads out of the sand. Or don't, ignorance is bliss for some.
Or...
maybe we should withhold judgement since none of us know what the real story is.
Really some tremendous posts you have in this thread, though.
Oh Lord

How about waiting to see what actually happens as opposed to throwing him under the bus. You went to Duke you should know what premature accusations result in.

Or...
maybe we should withhold judgement since none of us know what the real story is.
Really some tremendous posts you have in this thread, though.
Oh Lord

Reading comprehension.

IF he cheated, he should be punished.

Not a single judgment at all.

That's all. If you people didn't see the kernel of truth, you wouldnt get so butthurt about my opinion. Just saying.

Reading comprehension.

IF he cheated, he should be punished.

Not a single judgment at all.

That's all. If you people didn't see the kernel of truth, you wouldnt get so butthurt about my opinion. Just saying.
Great. so now go away.

lol. im amazed some people cant even read a contrasting opinion without their head exploding. Its like a bunch of 12 year olds.

lol. for the record, im not a huge duke fan, but i did go to duke. And I like to see cheaters get punished. I MUST NOT BE A "TRUE" FAN!! But to each his own I guess.

You aren't...this is basketball, not knowledge bowl; I couldn't care less how any of these kids perform academically beyond maintaining a minimum GPA for eligiblity, and APR requirements. I've never understood this angle - We may have lost to Pitt, but at least our aggregate GPA is higher. :crazy: What does that get you as a fan? I'd rather win. Cheating? It's academics - not steroids.

Besides, to use your own word, are you "naive" enough to think college athletics are a pillar of nobility? As if every school is self-policing to the utmost degree...

If you use a different font for the plagiarized para, it's a dead giveaway.

images

your so off base it's barely worth a response. look at what happened at syracuse university over the past 2 years since the fine incident, and it's spelled out for you what exactly happened.

I am a college professor and teach rhetoric and creative writing. We use all the latest plagiarism software and also look for writing within an essay or piece of writing which departs from the tone, content, etc. of other parts of the text. Having said that, I'm here to say that catching someone cheating, other than full-on plagiarism, is not an exact science. At best it is an assumption or a guess. Very subjective. Unless a student admits that someone may have helped him/her with a part of their work, convicting someone of cheating would not stand up in a court of law; universities and faculty tend to use their omnipotence to make the case.

I have a colleague who used to teach at SU and she said there is a computer program that profs use to scan papers and check for anomalies that can indicate cheating. She said they made such a big deal about it that it made her anxious and she decided not to teach there the next year. So, yes, if one paragraph looks odd it is flagged by the program and then the prof needs to talk to the student about it. It is up to the prof to decide if the computer was right.

I don't think any of us are sure what the meeting on Friday is about. Is it an appeal of a verdict already rendered? Was he given a chance to make something right, and now he will be told if it was right enough? Oy!

Yea. if melo was guilty of plagiarizing i'd prefer to see justice served. I actually think that's a reasonable outlook to have on life. College classes are graded on a curve and therefore cheating adversely affects the other students that are doing it the right way. I don't think my view is really that insane or outlandish actually.

You prefer to see justice served? Well, I'll tell you what you can do:

1) Gene Banks scored less than 700 on his SATs but got a scholarship to Duke because he was a great high school basketball player. This deprived a H.S. player with lesser skills - but who had the test scores - a scholarship. Tell Coach K and the administration that all athlete's at Duke from now on must be representative of non-athlete students - I'm sure they'll see things your way.

2) Corey Maggette received cash from a coach who was funded by agents. After the NCAA found out about it they failed to declare Maggette ineligible and didn't strip Duke of their Final Four. When Duke found out about it they did nothing. Tell the NCAA they must vacate Duke's appearance in the tournament that year. Failing that, tell Duke they must forfeit all games won that Maggette participated in.

3) After Chris Duhon committed to Duke his mother moved to Durham where she got a new job at a company owned by a wealthy Duke fan. Tell the NCAA they must put Duke on probation for cheating.

4) After Carlos Boozer committed to Duke his unemployed father got a nice job at a company owned by a close friend of Coach K. Tell the NCAA they must give Duke the death penalty for cheating.

5) Come back here and tell me the NCAA and Duke don't think you're insane.

I'm 33 and I could give a flying fu*k if melo cheated or not, same with james. I cheated a couple times in school, whoopdy damn doo!

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

That's nice...I'm 51 and an SU grad. I think playing for SU is a privilege, not a right. I also think if you cheat and get caught then you have to pay the price. And, having to cheat in HS (other than to just prove you can get away with it) is beyond ridiculous. With due respect, maybe you need to get some perspective on life lessons...just sayin...

question for the board: I could be wrong, but isnt cuse@duke the dude who came to the board and claimed he wouldnt be around for a while to concentrate on a female or something along those lines?

you'd think someone that's associated with Duke may know something about being falsely accused.

question for the board: I could be wrong, but isnt cuse@duke the dude who came to the board and claimed he wouldnt be around for a while to concentrate on a female or something along those lines?
Randygoduke

I'm 33 and I could give a flying fu*k if melo cheated or not, same with james. I cheated a couple times in school, whoopdy damn doo!

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
You sound like the residents in Gatti's neighborhood who thought he was wonderful and you just had to overlook his "business" because he did nice things for them like having a big Fourth of July party.

I just graduated in June, and every time we submitted a paper through the student website, it automatically went through the cheating software so we could see what "percentage" the software thought had been plagiarized from either; 1) anywhere online 2)any other paper from another student who had submitted it through the database.

Times have definitely changed, if you have 2 or 3 consecutive sentences that matchup somewhere else (and you didn't cite it), it will likely be a problem.

Seems like he very likely cheated. Why does everyone want him back so badly? I sorta don't mind justice being served here if he did cheat. And how likely is it that this is all a huge mistake? (Not very people).
Silly, silly question. This is actually just a bad post all around.

question is why are we getting conflicting information from people supposedly very close to the situation? prior to OE's bank post, everyone pretty much thought it was a foregone conclusion that he would be back, not to mention hearing second-hand from JS himself. Personally, if you have bad news, I'd rather be blindsided than have to sweat it out for several days. The anticipation for anything is almost larger than life.

I just graduated in June, and every time we submitted a paper through the student website, it automatically went through the cheating software so we could see what "percentage" the software thought had been plagiarized from either; 1) anywhere online 2)any other paper from another student who had submitted it through the database.

Times have definitely changed, if you have 2 or 3 consecutive sentences that matchup somewhere else (and you didn't cite it), it will likely be a problem.

It requires 2 or 3 sentences? Man, when I used to hand papers in in high school with that program, if we had like 3 or more words that matched up with someone else's, our teacher would talk to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom