Just back from Pitt... | Syracusefan.com

Just back from Pitt...

BillSU

All American
I don't know why I'm posting this - everyone saw the game but maybe they didn't get the up close feeling about our team from being there.

If you have never been to Pittsburgh or the Petersen Events Center – go. The city is beautiful and the Center holds 12K and is as intimate, and modern a facility as I’ve ever watched a BB game in, not a bad seat in the house. You just have to like climbing the 1000 stairs to get to the back to your car in the parking garage on a hill behind the Center in 15 degree weather on this night.

And that’s about all I have to say that was positive except most of the first half where we led most of the way. There isn’t much to say, we sucked. A downer certainly.

You could just tell that this was going to be a chore for the team. When you are at the game you sensed, from the way they were playing, that this wasn't our night. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the team looked slow and sloppy and that’s the way it was. I’m usually used to seeing at least four starters in double figures but this time there was only one! If they all scored in doubles we would have won but they looked worn out chasing Pitt around the second half.

The team was cold, lethargic and seemed to come to watch not play. It looked like they were about to enter their first game of the season and try to see if they could play basketball together as a team. Jesse had a poor game, IMO, missing foul shots and was not aggressive, JGIII was anything but the 50 point shooter from Glens Falls, getting stripped of the ball at least twice and committing 6 turnovers and going 1-6 from the 3. It seemed like no one could make shots so they leaned on a closely guarded Buddy who shot 9-23 with and was 4-15 from beyond the arc, his shots short, off the front of the rim, most of the night.

Man, look at these stats: FG 19 – 63 = 30.2%, 3 PT 6 – 31= 19.4%, groovy.

My last point is I wondered when leaving how they could beat Clemson badly and then show up in Pittsburgh and look so terrible. JAB can’t shoot the ball for them. Oh, and for you Benny fans, he was in late and looked totally out of control like a marionette thrust in from the wing of a stage with his arms wide reaching for something. We could have used Symir Torrence tonight big time.

PS: When Buddy and Jimmy leave who is going to score, who is going to play? I know we have a wonderful bunch of freshman coming in but they’re freshman. You think this team is bad? Wait till next year. Got any better ideas? JAB can't shoot the ball for them.

Last edited:
And whose fault is it? Maybe the head coach’s that we don’t have the horses? My son went to Pitt and was team manager under Dixon for 4 years……..nice arena and a totally cool city. Unlike Syracuse, the kids who grew up in the Pittsburgh area, love the city and I can’t blame them, it’s so much fun!

Last edited:
2CC99FF6-9CCB-4E7A-8292-BACAE6990051.jpeg
At least you’re not the main picture on Syracuse dot com.

Marquette had a losing record last year and lost their top five scorers. This year they are 14-6 and 6-3 in a good Big East.

I think we’ll be fine replacing our pair of gunners that don’t play any defense.

I don't know why I'm posting this - everyone saw the game but maybe they didn't get the up close feeling about our team from being there.

If you have never been to Pittsburgh or the Petersen Events Center – go. The city is beautiful and the Center holds 12K and is as intimate, and modern facility as I’ve ever watched a BB game in, not a bad seat in the house. You just have to like climbing the 1000 stairs to get to the back to your car in the parking garage.

And that’s about all I have to say that was positive except most of the first half where we led most of the way. There isn’t much to say, we sucked. A downer certainly.

You could just tell that this was going to be a chore for the team. But when you are at the game you sense, from the way they are playing, that this wasn't our night. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the team looked slow and sloppy and that’s the way it was. I’m usually used to seeing at least four starters in double figures but this time there was only one! If they were we would have won but they looked worn out chasing Pitt around the second half.

The team was cold, lethargic and came to watch not play. It looked like they were about to enter their first game of the season and try to see if they could play basketball. Jesse had a poor game IMO missing foul shots and was not aggressive, JGIII was anything but the 50 point shooter from Glens Falls, getting stripped of the ball at least twice and committing 6 turnovers and going 1-6 from the 3. It seemed like no one could make shots so they leaned on a closely guarded Buddy who shot 9-23 with and was 4-15 from beyond the arc short off the front of the rim most of the night.

My last point is I wondered when leaving how they could beat Clemson badly and then show up in Pittsburgh and look so terrible. JAB can’t shoot the ball for them. Oh, and for you Benny fans, he was in late and looked totally out of control like a marionette thrust in from the wing of a stage with his arms wide reaching for something. We could have used Symir Torrence tonight big time.

PS: When Buddy and Jimmy leave who is going to score, who is going to play? I know we have a wonderful bunch of freshman coming in but they’re freshman. You think this team is bad? Wait till next year. Got any better ideas? JAB can't shoot the ball for them.
JAB put together this putrid team of slow, unathletic, plodding Clydesdales. We had mass transfers of players that would’ve helped tremendously this year, and are likely looking at another exodus at season’s end.
JAB is the one in charge- the buck stops with him. Period.

Oh, and for you Benny fans, he was in late and looked totally out of control like a marionette thrust in from the wing of a stage with his arms wide reaching for something.

Benny fans?? You're not? What the hell. This is what this board has become, it's like damn politics.

Marquette had a losing record last year and lost their top five scorers. This year they are 14-6 and 6-3 in a good Big East.

I think we’ll be fine replacing our pair of gunners that don’t play any defense.
Don’t count on it.

If you have never been to Pittsburgh or the Petersen Events Center – go. The city is beautiful and the Center holds 12K and is as intimate, and modern facility as I’ve ever watched a BB game in, not a bad seat in the house. You just have to like climbing the 1000 stairs to get to the back to your car in the parking garage.

You could just tell that this was going to be a chore for the team. But when you are at the game you sense, from the way they are playing, that this wasn't our night. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the team looked slow and sloppy and that’s the way it was. I’m usually used to seeing at least four starters in double figures but this time there was only one! If they were we would have won but they looked worn out chasing Pitt around the second half.

The team was cold, lethargic and came to watch not play. It looked like they were about to enter their first game of the season and try to see if they could play basketball. Jesse had a poor game IMO missing foul shots and was not aggressive, JGIII was anything but the 50 point shooter from Glens Falls, getting stripped of the ball at least twice and committing 6 turnovers and going 1-6 from the 3. It seemed like no one could make shots so they leaned on a closely guarded Buddy who shot 9-23 with and was 4-15 from beyond the arc short off the front of the rim most of the night.

Jimmy wont be missed at all. Buddy will.

And even if we aren't - the thought/dream that we may see other players actually given a chance especially when the player ahead of them on the depth chart is struggling will be refreshing.

JAB put together this putrid team of slow, unathletic, plodding Clydesdales. We had mass transfers of players that would’ve helped tremendously this year, and are likely looking at another exodus at season’s end.
JAB is the one in charge- the buck stops with him. Period.

I think you need to include all of the assistants when assigning blame for this mess. They're part of scouting players, recruiting and coaching them in practice.
This coaching gene pool is too shallow.

Jimmy wont be missed at all. Buddy will.
Meh. Maybe, maybe not.

On the team I expect to see next season? Yeah, maybe. On any top-25 team? Probably not.

In the ACC, out of the 43 players with more than 8 FGA per game, Buddy ranks 24th in PER and 24th in BPM and number one with a bullet in FGA. Oh and among those same players in defensive BPM? Buddy ranks 41st and Jimmy 42nd.

I think you need to include all of the assistants when assigning blame for this mess. They're part of scouting players, recruiting and coaching them in practice.
This coaching gene pool is too shallow.
Jim needed to make staff changes after the 2019 season ending loss to Baylor

He needed to bring in another Troy Weaver/Rob Murphy type when it became apparent his former players couldn't land blue chip talent to get back on top

Last edited:

Feels really weak to call out Benny like that after he’s summoned to the very ending of a game like that while watching JBA’s spaz routine for 10 minutes. There is no way mentally to prepare for the abuse JB put Benny through last night as a young man.

And whose fault is it? Maybe the head coach’s that we don’t have the horses? My son went to Pitt and was team manager under Dixon for 4 years……..nice arena and a totally cool city. Unlike Syracuse, the kids who grew up there, love the city and I can’t blame them, it’s so much fun!
i think your conclusion pretty much sums it up

they miss having a PG ...A LOT

pitt was in Joes lunchbox all night long...and the whole offense couldnt get out of first gear

its easy to underestimate having symir coming and changing things bc he doesnt play that many minutes ...but if he plays i think its a W last night...as bad as the team was generally.

what was your take on the physicality? from my laptop stream it seemed the refs were swallowing whistles on every contact...(which benefits the aggressor, more athletic team Pitt)

Axe said it in his post game...Benny isn't the savior(and it's apparent he is way behind on the speed of the college game), but there is no reason at all to not have him on the floor. What is there to lose at this point? He either figures it out and we know what we have next year(if he returns) or he doesn't and we continue being a lousy team.

I know we all know the answer to that question...just venting!

Can't wait until I can actually be upset about losing again!!!!!

Marquette also got a new coach and used the portal correctly, something Syracuse didn’t do.

i think your conclusion pretty much sums it up

they miss having a PG ...A LOT

pitt was in Joes lunchbox all night long...and the whole offense couldnt get out of first gear

its easy to underestimate having symir coming and changing things bc he doesnt play that many minutes ...but if he plays i think its a W last night...as bad as the team was generally.

what was your take on the physicality? from my laptop stream it seemed the refs were swallowing whistles on every contact...(which benefits the aggressor, more athletic team Pitt)
Wasnt that hard to see it coming for those that pay attention, FWIW, what we saw last night is what multiple games we ended up winning would have been last year w/o...well you know...

Eventually the coach pays the price for years of sub par recruiting. We don't get the talent we used to get. It's showing.

I can see you going viral as an internet meme for many years to come. Just like the crying kid from Duke. BTW, I like the shirt. I'm a big Cuse Nike guy.
I love the Nike stuff, my only issue is that some stuff in xl fits perfectly, some other stuff xl fits like a kids size small. My buddy got a Nike hoodie off Fanatics, one of the best I’ve seen but have not been able to track it down.

Here's a philosophical question in answer to your philosophical question: is it better to be a bad team or a really bad team? It doesn't really matter in the final analysis. I don't think anyone is eager to push these kids out but they're not exactly making a difference for us now either.

That's a pretty good question, because, you know, they are going to leave eventually. Say for the heck of it they leave at the end of this year. Not a lot on the bench to choose from for replacements since we haven't seen any of those players perform in games to any great degree and we aren't seeing what goes on in practice, so it looks pretty bleak. We better hope they come back and we have a re-run of this season. Maybe it will be better. I mean you can't depend on any of the recruits next season to come in and take up the loss of scoring that Jimmy and Buddy provide. Besides, if everyone comes back, how would the recruits even get into games anyway?

Eventually the coach pays the price for years of sub par recruiting. We don't get the talent we used to get. It's showing.

Boeheim shootaround was supposed to be for Boeheims to be stars...

The fact that Boeheim shootaround is the worst team we've had in JAB era is not a real surprise... if you were honest about how all this came together, it's not entirely unexpected.

It's just unbelievable how everything that could go wrong pretty much has gone wrong.

You could say we've been in games we could have won and it's not that bad... but, at this stage of the season, you are what your record says.

Pitt is one of the worst teams in the league...

So are we.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom