Just curious... | Syracusefan.com

Just curious...

pearl31

in cahoots
And I'll preface by saying the meltdowns at the end of both games are inexcusable and nauseating...
That said, how many of you expected the team to win either of these first two games? I penciled in losses when the schedule came out in September.

:noidea:

And I'll preface by saying the meltdowns at the end of both games are inexcusable and nauseating...
That said, how many of you expected the team to win either of these first two games? I penciled in losses when the schedule came out in September.

I'm not sure it's ever about chalking up losses - it's how they play, and what you see. That's the assessment people make.

That is probably a valid point. Looking at it on paper before the game I wouldn't expect them to win. However, when you get Miami to play as poorly as it did in the first half it is very disappointing that they did not win the game or at least keep it close down the stretch.

I'm not sure it's ever about chalking up losses - it's how they play, and what you see. That's the assessment people make.
OK, and I saw a team play pretty well for the most part, considering the personnel limitations (especially today w Howard out).
Again, we were right in it in both games until the bottom fell out in the closing minutes.
And without their HOF coach on the sideline.
These will have been two of the toughest games of the schedule. We'll see what happens.

I thought they could split. Hey, all you can ask is to be in position to win late against good teams on the road. They did that, but failed miserably to close both times.

pfister1 said:
That is probably a valid point. Looking at it on paper before the game I wouldn't expect them to win. However, when you get Miami to play as poorly as it did in the first half it is very disappointing that they did not win the game or at least keep it close down the stretch.

It was pretty obvious we would fold down the stretch like we did at Pitt.

We were gassed.

Hop is trying to extend the bench a little by playing Joseph and Obokoh, but they're just not capable.

We have a roster of nine and three of them haven't lived up to their potential, especially Joseph and Coleman.

Recruiting needs to get better.

I respect your point of view but the assessment that I take (and many others here take) is somewhat different. I see a team that is capable of beating anyone. We are only two games in and I still like where we are with things. We take care of business against the 'ole mighty tigers (which we will) and hold our home court with Boeheim at the helm against UNC, we're right where I hoped we would be after a very challenging start to ACC conference play.

I'm still all in with this squad. Frustrating they are at times but a lot of fun to watch as well because of their potential and ability to play against top level talent.

Last edited:
Because of the question marks at center and pg I didn't think that this would be a great Syracuse team. I was happy after Atlantis but I was fully aware that the three point shooting wouldn't last.

I don't like picking on players, so I'm not a fan of that part of the meltdown, but I can understand why people are upset. We're all fans and would like to see the team perform better. Just because anyone could pencil these losses in during September doesn't make them any easier to deal with.

Every time I watch us I expect to win.

I think the last time I didn't was Kansas in 2001.

OK, and I saw a team play pretty well for the most part, considering the personnel limitations (especially today w Howard out).
Again, we were right in it in both games until the bottom fell out in the closing minutes.
And without their HOF coach on the sideline.
These will have been two of the toughest games of the schedule. We'll see what happens.

It all depends on your perspective though - if you think we blew a lot of chances to develop a PG (I know Howard was out today), work on different things early on, then that perspective is different than someone that thinks TC and G should always play 40 minutes a game at PG/SG because the offense can't function without them.

We're all looking at this stuff from different lenses. Nothing wrong with that. It's what makes sports forums go!

I respect your point of view but the assessment that I take (and many others here take) is somewhat different. I see a team that is capable of beating anyone. We are only two games in and I still like where we are with things. We take care of business against the 'ole mighty tigers (which we will) and hold our home court with Boeheim at the helm against UNC, we're right where I hoped we would be after a very challenging start to ACC conference play.

I'm still all in with this squad. Frustrating they are at times but a lot of fun too watch as well because of their potential and ability to play against top level talent.

How can any sane fan possibly like where we are right now? Can you have hope that the talent is there and maybe we can right the ship? Sure. But to say you like where we are right now is absolutely ludicrous to me.

G, our best and most important player, could not have played any worse today (and Cooney was marginally better). Just brutal. And yet we were right there in it.

I expected 0-2, also. The frustrating thing is that we could have had (at least) one of these, as flawed as we are.

Very frustrating, Pitt isn't even that good, but they could be 2-18 and I would expect a loss against them. Miami is a good team, and they didn't even play well today, and they still beat us by double digits.

How can any sane fan possibly like where we are right now? Can you have hope that the talent is there and maybe we can right the ship? Sure. But to say you like where we are right now is absolutely ludicrous to me.

Welcome to the ridiculous state of mind that I assume. You know what... try it for a bit and you just might like how it feels! I'm all in!

The problem is that the way Miami played we should have been up 25. Similar at Pitt. We're really really bad

The problem is that the way Miami played we should have been up 25. Similar at Pitt. We're really really bad
Disagree 110%!!!!!

What a homer you are.

We should have been up by 35, damn it!!

We aren't really bad, we are really terrible.

No we're not.
I think it's relative. In terms of SU Basketball this team is pretty bad. Thinking about it, this team may end up being as bad as the 1996-97 team.

I think it's relative. In terms of SU Basketball this team is pretty bad. Thinking about it, this team may end up being as bad as the 1996-97 team.
Right. I'm not comparing us to Texas southern

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom