JW " I think we are close" Me too. | Syracusefan.com

JW " I think we are close" Me too.

kcsu

Living Legend
Maybe not JWs exact quote but the point he is making is that SU is very close to being a top 3 ACC team. Just think about this year. 8 wins was pretty much in the bag this year. 9 10 or more possible. We got derailed by a lack of depth not going to discuss coaching as this post is about players. So, with a team comprised of players/recruits that are rated at the bottom of the ACC we legitimately had a solid chance at 8 or more wins. 3 game difference and we have 9.
Is it possible or even probable that Fran and his staff can recruit well enough to have those extra 4 to 6 players that get us those extra three wins? I personally think so. Is it also possible that after 2 3 or 4 years that Fran and his staff can get us to a level that we can legitimately compete for an ACC title? I think so.
My two cents is that i agree with JW. Syracuse is close. We are getting much better facilities and a staff that can recruit better than Dinos. Can they coach better than Dinos staff? Again, I think so. So, ask yourself. Is it possible that between better recruiting and better coaching we can win 3 more games than we did this year.
I think so.

I think with better S&C alone we win 7 games. With 1 or 2 more 3/4 star kids on each side of the ball, you are looking at 8-9 wins.
100%

Maybe not JWs exact quote but the point he is making is that SU is very close to being a top 3 ACC team. Just think about this year. 8 wins was pretty much in the bag this year. 9 10 or more possible. We got derailed by a lack of depth not going to discuss coaching as this post is about players. So, with a team comprised of players/recruits that are rated at the bottom of the ACC we legitimately had a solid chance at 8 or more wins. 3 game difference and we have 9.
Is it possible or even probable that Fran and his staff can recruit well enough to have those extra 4 to 6 players that get us those extra three wins? I personally think so. Is it also possible that after 2 3 or 4 years that Fran and his staff can get us to a level that we can legitimately compete for an ACC title? I think so.
My two cents is that i agree with JW. Syracuse is close. We are getting much better facilities and a staff that can recruit better than Dinos. Can they coach better than Dinos staff? Again, I think so. So, ask yourself. Is it possible that between better recruiting and better coaching we can win 3 more games than we did this year.
I think so.
Yep.

I think we are a bit further away than that. The ACC is getting better, especially with the addition of SMU.
Most importantly, we will need a few years of better classes than our peers. We are well behind at least half the league so we need time to make up lost ground.
Getting ranked next year is a doable first step thar is attainable. I would be happy with that.

100%
kcsu, I am awfully interested in who the starting QB will be. I'd love to see Villari start a game vs a cupcake just to see how he moves, runs, throws and handles the ball with fakes in the backfield.

Our S+ C was good.
I have no insight into whether our S&C was good or not. Coach Fran has seen what an elite S&C program looks like at UGA. I hope he can take ours to another level. Watching the SEC championship, those players look like monsters.

Agree but I don’t think flipping a handful of 4 star 18 year olds is what wins us games next year.

Frans gonna need to wear a lot of coats to get the immediate results we all want.

This is still better than year 9 of Dino regardless and I like Dino.

We’re also in the age of wide open free agency I’m thrilled with the hire but it seems like every older player is going to the draft or the portal.

kcsu, I am awfully interested in who the starting QB will be. I'd love to see Villari start a game vs a cupcake just to see how he moves, runs, throws and handles the ball with fakes in the backfield.
I have no clue but unless we land a baller or the frosh from GA is special I would go with Dan. I thought he threw well. Seems to have a strong arm. Can obviously run and he's a leader.

Agree. No offense to the kids because they try hard, but we have some glaring talent gaps on OL and DB that need to be upgraded

I think we are a bit further away than that. The ACC is getting better, especially with the addition of SMU.
Most importantly, we will need a few years of better classes than our peers. We are well behind at least half the league so we need time to make up lost ground.
Getting ranked next year is a doable first step thar is attainable. I would be happy with that.

I think so.
Imho, Syracuse has always been a sleeping giant or a hibernating bear in football. The success of the 80s and 90s wasn't an accident. It was because the program was led by great coaches who knew how to mine the Northeast for talent, knew how to develop that talent and it all resulted in winning.

HCFB - as it surprisingly turns out - comes off of the "P & D coaching tree" so to speak. So due to their mentorship and ADJWs obvious commitment to returning SU to the glory days, HCFB comes into the job much better prepared to succeed at Syracuse than any of his predecessors - by far. Imho, Fran Brown is just the right coach to awaken the sleeping giant and restore SU's reputation as a Northeastern football powerhouse.

I think so.
I agree with almost all of that, except there is no indication at this point and just no way we can possibly know if HCFB can coach in terms of making the correct in game decisions to maximize the chances to win. We don’t know and. can only hope that it’s an upgrade over the previous staff.

As I said, elsewhere, time will tell, We are just gonna have to wait for more data points on that.

I think so.
Don’t we need 2 QB’s to guarantee that?

I have no clue but unless we land a baller or the frosh from GA is special I would go with Dan. I thought he threw well. Seems to have a strong arm. Can obviously run and he's a leader.
He threw well with passes that required very little reading of the defense. There's a big difference between what he did at the end of this season and what he would need to do as a full time QB. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying what we saw from him gives us little indication one way or the other, aside from seeing he has a strong arm.

Last edited:
He threw well with passes that required very little reading of the defense. There's a big difference between what he did at the end of this season and what he would need to do as a full time QB. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying what we saw from him gives us little indication one way or the other, aside from seeing he has a strong arm.
I certainly hope Dan is back at TE . My point is that unless we land a starter Dan would be my choice out of Dan Davis or Carlos.

Getting ranked next year would likely put us in the top 3 of the ACC

I certainly hope Dan is back at TE . My point is that unless we land a starter Dan would be my choice out of Dan Davis or Carlos.
I hope we find someone so he can stay at TE. I think it's best for both parties. His NFL future is probably TE. Playing QB here hinders that. I don't have confidence in the other two. CDRW has physical tools but lacks the rest. If Davis was a QB, he would have played there at the end of the year, especially with how desperate we were.

If we don't find someone, we may be looking at a poor man's '90's Nebraska offense next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom