Kansas/Adidas/FBI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kansas/Adidas/FBI

"One of the most significant pieces of information to emerge ... was a wire tap involving Kansas assistant Kurt Townsend.
"On it, Townsend can be heard discussing the exact financial arrangement it would take to land then-No. 1 recruit Zion Williamson."

"One of the most significant pieces of information to emerge ... was a wire tap involving Kansas assistant Kurt Townsend.
"On it, Townsend can be heard discussing the exact financial arrangement it would take to land then-No. 1 recruit Zion Williamson."
Thank heavens he turned down any financial gain in favor of the upstanding program by Coach K.

images

The University of Kansas basketball program received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Monday detailing multiple major violations, according to a report from Yahoo Sports confirmed by a source to CBS Sports' Gary Parrish. Kansas is accused of committing three Level I violations -- the most severe in the NCAA rulebook. A responsibility charge is also being levied against Hall of Fame coach Bill Self and KU is also charged with a lack of institutional control.

Here are some relevant comments:

“David Ridpath, president of the Drake Group, a think tank dedicated to protecting academic integrity in college sports, and an associate professor of sports business at Ohio University, said it's too early to tell whether the NCAA can make a dent in cleaning up college basketball corruption.”
"[The notice of allegations] is not surprising," Ridpath said. "But it's one thing to allege and another to know what's going to be the end game. I think we saw that in the North Carolina case [involving alleged academic misconduct]. I have my doubts that the membership really truly, truly wants to punish these schools and punish coaches like Bill Self. At the end of the day, whether he knew or didn't know, he should have known or did know. My guess is Bill Self probably knew a lot more that he's letting on.
"If we're going to have these rules, they need to be enforced. Until we see the end game, I don't know how worried Kansas should be about these allegations because it still has to go through the infractions process. The committee on infractions has shown in the past that it's very reticent to punish some schools. We'll have to wait and see. If they're doing their job, Kansas should be absolutely eviscerated."

Scathing.

“David Ridpath, president of the Drake Group, a think tank dedicated to protecting academic integrity in college sports, and an associate professor of sports business at Ohio University, said it's too early to tell whether the NCAA can make a dent in cleaning up college basketball corruption.”
"[The notice of allegations] is not surprising," Ridpath said. "But it's one thing to allege and another to know what's going to be the end game. I think we saw that in the North Carolina case [involving alleged academic misconduct]. I have my doubts that the membership really truly, truly wants to punish these schools and punish coaches like Bill Self. At the end of the day, whether he knew or didn't know, he should have known or did know. My guess is Bill Self probably knew a lot more that he's letting on.
"If we're going to have these rules, they need to be enforced. Until we see the end game, I don't know how worried Kansas should be about these allegations because it still has to go through the infractions process. The committee on infractions has shown in the past that it's very reticent to punish some schools. We'll have to wait and see. If they're doing their job, Kansas should be absolutely eviscerated."

Scathing.

brutal quote but sort of empty talk - Drake Group has no influence on anything. Right on all points but not new points, and not really carrying much weight. The world knows - schools cheat and the NCAA is a clown show. The general public doesn't care.

The world knows - schools cheat and the NCAA is a clown show. The general public doesn't care.
My own experience suggests this is true. I happened to be with a group of long time friends and sports fans a couple of years ago right before the FBI stuff broke. I rattled off a list of cheating schools - Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Seton Hall, USC, Oregon, LSU, Auburn - and they didn't believe me. When the news broke, they just laughed and said I take this stuff too seriously...

My own experience suggests this is true. I happened to be with a group of long time friends and sports fans a couple of years ago right before the FBI stuff broke. I rattled off a list of cheating schools - Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Seton Hall, USC, Oregon, LSU, Auburn - and they didn't believe me. When the news broke, they just laughed and said I take this stuff too seriously...
Both of those things can be true at the same time.

Clearly their schools haven’t been affected by sanctions.

Magette. Chris Duhon. Trajon Langson's dad, the only visiting prof from Alaska at Duke, ever (my guess)
Lance Thomas putting down $30K cash on jewelry and getting a loan for $70K. NCAA "investigation" turned up nothing because nobody spoke.
And are we to believe Zion turned down cash and a home from Kansas to go to Duke for free? BS. Even though Zion's name is in the transcripts as wanting that from schools, we know the NCAA will not look into it.

Lance Thomas putting down $30K cash on jewelry and getting a loan for $70K. NCAA "investigation" turned up nothing because nobody spoke.
And are we to believe Zion turned down cash and a home from Kansas to go to Duke for free? BS. Even though Zion's name is in the transcripts as wanting that from schools, we know the NCAA will not look into it.

Duke already investigated this and turned up nothing inappropriate. This case is closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom