Kansas/Adidas/FBI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kansas/Adidas/FBI

It's not like they had an overzealous tutor write a paper for a player or had a few players make money at the YMCA. You guys need to layoff the poor NCAA...this probably isn't even their wheel house.

Last edited:
In a world of cheating, the “blue bloods” did it bigger and better than all the rest. And the NCAA, for the most part turned a blind eye. I hope K and Roy are sweating a little now.

In a world of cheating, the “blue bloods” did it bigger and better than all the rest. And the NCAA, for the most part turned a blind eye. I hope K and Roy are sweating a little now.
For the most part, the NCAA has been complicit. They have let Duke escape unscathed despite multiple credible reports of wrong doing.

Last edited:
Don't lose sight of the fact that KU is charter member of the Blue Bloods. As such there will be a lot of smoke, hot air, and in the end no finding of guilt or punishment. (See UNC).
I think there are a few grains of truth to this "blue bloods" notion, ... but the real measuring stick when it comes to sanctions is that Kansas is a state school (and will get off relatively lightly), while our sins -- as minor as they were -- were committed from at a private university. Plus, JAB is misunderstood/disliked by most at the NCAA administrative level, so they were all too happy to lay down the hammer.

But the public vs. private thing is the key factor. NCAA is always anxious to avoid any governmental critiques to their system.

I think there are a few grains of truth to this "blue bloods" notion, ... but the real measuring stick when it comes to sanctions is that Kansas is a state school (and will get off relatively lightly), while our sins -- as minor as they were -- were committed from at a private university. Plus, JAB is misunderstood/disliked by most at the NCAA administrative level, so they were all too happy to lay down the hammer.

But the public vs. private thing is the key factor. NCAA is always anxious to avoid any governmental critiques to their system.
Well, Duke is a private school, and the NCAA has totally refused to even look at any of the allegations brought to life by various news reports. How do you account for that?

I do not think this really is an issue. The punchline Cleveland State is a public school as is its modern equivalent (at least on the college sports reddit boards), Missouri. Louisville's status as a public university did not shield it from having its national championship vacated. Miami has skated on some allegations in the past in football.

The two real issues are the stature of the school cheating and what can be proven, as opposed what is generally known. Alabama football, at least while Saban is there, is not going to be investigated unless the NCAA is forced to do so. For instance, if it were the subject of an FBI investigation and DOJ trial. Same with Duke and same with Kansas.

The second (and probably more important issue) is the limitations the NCAA has when collecting evidence. Kansas should follow UNC's main defense strategy, which is to obstruct, obstruct, and obstruct. Do not cooperate with the investigation in the least. It doesn't appear to lessen the sanctions at all and allows the NCAA access to evidence it may not be able to receive otherwise.

I do not think this really is an issue. The punchline Cleveland State is a public school as is its modern equivalent (at least on the college sports reddit boards), Missouri. Louisville's status as a public university did not shield it from having its national championship vacated. Miami has skated on some allegations in the past in football.

The two real issues are the stature of the school cheating and what can be proven, as opposed what is generally known. Alabama football, at least while Saban is there, is not going to be investigated unless the NCAA is forced to do so. For instance, if it were the subject of an FBI investigation and DOJ trial. Same with Duke and same with Kansas.

The second (and probably more important issue) is the limitations the NCAA has when collecting evidence. Kansas should follow UNC's main defense strategy, which is to obstruct, obstruct, and obstruct. Do not cooperate with the investigation in the least. It doesn't appear to lessen the sanctions at all and allows the NCAA access to evidence it may not be able to receive otherwise.
Miami in Florida is a private school. Miami in Ohio is a public school.

I don't think that any of the schools involved in the Adidas scandal can be very effective when they try to obstruct the investigation since most of the evidence against them comes from the trial evidence gathered by the FBI. They can try to explain it away, but non-cooperation won't work because not responding to the transcripts, etc., just means that the NCAA will take it as a "no contest"/guilty plea.

Kansas has been smacked by the NCAA before. I don't think they are seen by the NCAA folks as a true Blue Blood.

Well, Duke is a private school, and the NCAA has totally refused to even look at any of the allegations brought to life by various news reports. How do you account for that?
But none of this is universal law. Right? Can we all agree on that.
I cannot account for Duke, which I think is "newer" to the AAU/cheating game. That's my own view.

Here is an informal listing of some noteworthy punitive sanctions laid down by the NCAA since around the mid-80s (in no order)

Baylor Basketball & Football/murder & cover up
SMU Football (not P5) - rampant pay for play
Tulane Basketball (not P5) - drugs & point shaving
Miami Football - paying players, bounties, drugs, Nevin Shapiro
USC Football - lack of institutional control, Reggie Bush, recruiting irregularities, OJ Mayo
Syracuse Basketball/Football - Why am I even listing this here? After 8 years of investigation, adding a footnote to one term paper, improper administration of non-mandated university drug program protocol, giving someone a ride from a YMCA camp, $8,000 to five football players.

Kentucky Basketball - FedEx cash to Chris Mills / Eddie Sutton
Penn State Football - (Sandusky) raping kids and Paterno not caring enough to report to authorities
Alabama Football - busted $180,000 payment to Albert Means
Minnesota Hoops - Team-wide academic fraud paid by HC Clem Haskins himself
Indiana Basketball - Improper K.Sampson telephone calls, providing false info to NCAA enforcement
Oklahoma Football - Rape, guns, violence in football dorms
Louisville Basketball - strippers and sex acts for prospects, student-athletes and others. Good times.
Michigan Basketball - $600,000 in payments to some of the Fab 5 (Webber) and others
North Carolina Basketball/Ath. Dept. - Free and easy classes, academic fraud birthed for athletes benefit
Memphis Basketball (not P5) - fraudulent SAT score (Derrick Rose) and $1700 in free travel to his brother
Mississippi Football - Asst. AD arranged for boosters to provide $10,000 for players/H.Freeze is scum
Florida State Football/Athletic Dept - academic cheating scandal covering 9-10 programs
UConn Basketball (not P5) - Failure to promote atmosphere of compliance / provided false information
Michigan State Athletics - Nasser/Rape/Sexual assault over 20+ years.

Out of those lists, who got boot stomped hardest by the NCAA?

I would say ...
1. SMU (death penalty)
2. Baylor
3. USC
^^^ All private schools

Out of those lists, who got off lightest in lieu of the severity of sanctions?

I would say ...
1. Michigan State (NCAA took a pass on rape and cover up, said "all's good here")
2. North Carolina (4-decades of fraud, now NCAA suddenly says academics not in "our wheelhouse")
3. Penn State Football (should have been death penalty, but even the lenient sanctions ultimately lessened)
^^^ All state/public flagships

So, my point is that the NCAA is more willing to hammer the private schools because they won't have politicians breathing down their necks, asking questions, making threats and pontificating on behalf of their injured state constituencies. Also remember, most states provide funding/scholarships for NCAA athletics. Private schools don't have this in their back pocket. I also think that the NCAA lays a heavier hammer on football programs, as they don't get a piece of the gridiron's postseason pie.

Two quick examples of lawmakers questioning the NCAA's reach:

The University of Kansas basketball program received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Monday detailing multiple major violations, according to a report from Yahoo Sports confirmed by a source to CBS Sports' Gary Parrish. Kansas is accused of committing three Level I violations -- the most severe in the NCAA rulebook. A responsibility charge is also being levied against Hall of Fame coach Bill Self and KU is also charged with a lack of institutional control.

Here are some relevant comments:

“David Ridpath, president of the Drake Group, a think tank dedicated to protecting academic integrity in college sports, and an associate professor of sports business at Ohio University, said it's too early to tell whether the NCAA can make a dent in cleaning up college basketball corruption.”
"[The notice of allegations] is not surprising," Ridpath said. "But it's one thing to allege and another to know what's going to be the end game. I think we saw that in the North Carolina case [involving alleged academic misconduct]. I have my doubts that the membership really truly, truly wants to punish these schools and punish coaches like Bill Self. At the end of the day, whether he knew or didn't know, he should have known or did know. My guess is Bill Self probably knew a lot more that he's letting on.
"If we're going to have these rules, they need to be enforced. Until we see the end game, I don't know how worried Kansas should be about these allegations because it still has to go through the infractions process. The committee on infractions has shown in the past that it's very reticent to punish some schools. We'll have to wait and see. If they're doing their job, Kansas should be absolutely eviscerated."

But none of this is universal law. Right? Can we all agree on that.
I cannot account for Duke, which I think is "newer" to the AAU/cheating game. That's my own view.

Here is an informal listing of some noteworthy punitive sanctions laid down by the NCAA since around the mid-80s (in no order)

Baylor Basketball & Football/murder & cover up
SMU Football (not P5) - rampant pay for play
Tulane Basketball (not P5) - drugs & point shaving
Miami Football - paying players, bounties, drugs, Nevin Shapiro
USC Football - lack of institutional control, Reggie Bush, recruiting irregularities, OJ Mayo
Syracuse Basketball/Football - Why am I even listing this here? After 8 years of investigation, adding a footnote to one term paper, improper administration of non-mandated university drug program protocol, giving someone a ride from a YMCA camp, $8,000 to five football players.

Kentucky Basketball - FedEx cash to Chris Mills / Eddie Sutton
Penn State Football - (Sandusky) raping kids and Paterno not caring enough to report to authorities
Alabama Football - busted $180,000 payment to Albert Means
Minnesota Hoops - Team-wide academic fraud paid by HC Clem Haskins himself
Indiana Basketball - Improper K.Sampson telephone calls, providing false info to NCAA enforcement
Oklahoma Football - Rape, guns, violence in football dorms
Louisville Basketball - strippers and s e x acts for prospects, student-athletes and others. Good times.
Michigan Basketball - $600,000 in payments to some of the Fab 5 (Webber) and others
North Carolina Basketball/Ath. Dept. - Free and easy classes, academic fraud birthed for athletes benefit
Memphis Basketball (not P5) - fraudulent SAT score (Derrick Rose) and $1700 in free travel to his brother
Mississippi Football - Asst. AD arranged for boosters to provide $10,000 for players/H.Freeze is scum
Florida State Football/Athletic Dept - academic cheating scandal covering 9-10 programs
UConn Basketball (not P5) - Failure to promote atmosphere of compliance / provided false information
Michigan State Athletics - Nasser/Rape/s e xual assault over 20+ years.

Out of those lists, who got boot stomped hardest by the NCAA?

I would say ...
1. SMU (death penalty)
2. Baylor
3. USC
^^^ All private schools

Out of those lists, who got off lightest in lieu of the severity of sanctions?

I would say ...
1. Michigan State (NCAA took a pass on rape and cover up, said "all's good here")
2. North Carolina (4-decades of fraud, now NCAA suddenly says academics not in "our wheelhouse")
3. Penn State Football (should have been death penalty, but even the lenient sanctions ultimately lessened)
^^^ All state/public flagships

So, my point is that the NCAA is more willing to hammer the private schools because they won't have politicians breathing down their necks, asking questions, making threats and pontificating on behalf of their injured state constituencies. Also remember, most states provide funding/scholarships for NCAA athletics. Private schools don't have this in their back pocket. I also think that the NCAA lays a heavier hammer on football programs, as they don't get a piece of the gridiron's postseason pie.

Two quick examples of lawmakers questioning the NCAA's reach:

Look up Corey Maggette, for starters. Back in the 90’s. And on from there.

Hey does your handle represent an ice fishing weekend up in Caseville, MI ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom