Keeley Article on Marrone | Syracusefan.com

Keeley Article on Marrone

While I appreciate Sean's premise of the article, I have two big points of contention:

1. Comparing SU to RU. RU's situation when Schiano took over was MUCH, MUCH worse than SU was when HCDM took over. The place was an absolute mess. Little academic oversight of the program, bad kids that had tons of off the field issues, poor facilities and most notably decades and decades of previous bottom feeding. Sure GROB didn't win many games and put the program in a hole, but SU still had decades and decades of football prestige to fall back on.

2. Nobody wants the SU job. This is the biggest misnomer out there. Just because Darryl Gross' focus was Skip Holtz the first time around, doesn't mean there weren't others interested. I know for a fact that two current BCS head coaches were extremely interested in the job when he hired Marrone. They were not head guys at the time. I'm sure there were many more. Syracuse can be a very attractive place for Northeast kids with the right guy in charge and coaches across the country know this.

I don't like any comparison to Schiano. Schiano cannot be the measuring stick... or we are in trouble. I do think Marrone will prove out to be a good coach.

keeley is a idiot on this one

sick of the we were the worst program in the world crap- if so how did marrone win a bowl in year 2?

syracuse cant afford to give marrone a decade to prove if he is the man

good thing we have such a huge excuse pile to pick and choose from-

its not a matter of no coach wants the job-that excuse is so far fetched-

its not we are boise 10 years ago and they were able to build a program

im sorry but excuses dont cut it after 4 years no matter how much you think marrone is the next shady-
AND WHY IN THE HELL WOULD WE WANT THE NEXT SHADY? he never won anything other than pr battles

There were D1 guys interested in the job when P was let go. There were D1 guys interested when Grob was let go. So you can't say nobody wants the job.

There were D1 guys interested in the job when P was let go. There were D1 guys interested when Grob was let go. So you can't say nobody wants the job.

I think Keeley's point is that there aren't other guys who would want to come and STAY here. Right now, Syracuse is a stepping stone job for anyone who doesn't have the loyalty to the school that HCDM does.

It was a good article for what it was -- a reminder of our limitations. I can see why some wouldn't be happy to have those reminders, especially after last season's performance and the uncertainty the upcoming year. Basically Sean has said we 'cuseans have nowhere else to go so we better like it. Then he provides some things we might like about it.

I can't disagree with the idea that Marrone is the best shot we have of achieving a tradition of winning again in the near future. There is a lot to talk about with the football team and a lot to criticize but I agree that Marrone is giving us the best possible chance of turning things around. The question I have is whether Sean is trying to say that we just have to post happy comments about the team all the time and that criticism is verboten.

Until new facilities are built and we can pay big boy money I can't really blame any coach for using SU as a stepping stone.

When we're in the ACC and have new facilites the list of candidates should look alot better if Marrone has proven to not be the guy to get it done.

Until new facilities are built and we can pay big boy money I can't really blame any coach for using SU as a stepping stone.

When we're in the ACC and have new facilites the list of candidates should look alot better if Marrone has proven to not be the guy to get it done.

I'll take that one step further and point out that being a stepping stone is something most programs live with. I mean, maybe half the SEC, ND, USC, Texas and a few others can claim they aren't stepping stones. But other than that most schools live with the reality that another university and/or NFL program could come and steal their coach. The key is hiring the right coach who is desirable.

I think the answer lies in the middle -- there will be coaches interested, but it's not like there isn't a significant gamble with anyone we hire. If you're hiring Meyer or Saban or Pete Carroll, then that's one thing. But I was all in on Turner Gill last time. Oops. I think Marrone will get a little extra rope -- and believe it's the right call -- b/c administrations are aware that it's one thing to think you've hired the right guy and another to actually have hired the right guy.

I think Keeley's point is that there aren't other guys who would want to come and STAY here. Right now, Syracuse is a stepping stone job for anyone who doesn't have the loyalty to the school that HCDM does.
Just out of curiosity but when is the last time a head coach used Syracuse as a "stepping stone" job to anything other than a NFL head coaching job?

He lost me at the title.

I'm fine with Syracuse being a stepping stone. In order to be a stepping stone the coach needs to perform really well.

He lost me at the title.

I'm fine with Syracuse being a stepping stone. In order to be a stepping stone the coach needs to perform really well.
Nothing "wrong" with it...but I don't want it. I want a guy, like Marrone, who may stay, grow, and be content at his alma mater.

I think the answer lies in the middle -- there will be coaches interested, but it's not like there isn't a significant gamble with anyone we hire. If you're hiring Meyer or Saban or Pete Carroll, then that's one thing. But I was all in on Turner Gill last time. Oops. I think Marrone will get a little extra rope -- and believe it's the right call -- b/c administrations are aware that it's one thing to think you've hired the right guy and another to actually have hired the right guy.

There was a lot of interest by coaches, some as a steppingstone but some I bet wold stay if successful. We can't get a Saban or Meyer but neither can 95% of the schools.

I'll take that one step further and point out that being a stepping stone is something most programs live with. I mean, maybe half the SEC, ND, USC, Texas and a few others can claim they aren't stepping stones. But other than that most schools live with the reality that another university and/or NFL program could come and steal their coach. The key is hiring the right coach who is desirable.

I didn't like the tone of the article. SU will always be a stepping stone job. And like you said all but maybe 8 jobs in CFB are stepping stone jobs. To not hire someone for fear of them leaving is silly.

I realize that SU isn't a great job but it is a Top 50 CFB job. If a coach wants to be in a big boy conference on a big boy stage there are not a whole lot of jobs to choose from.

who is to say that Gill would not have been succesful at Syracuse? Kansas isn't an easy place to win in the Big 12.. Sure the fat man has success but up until then, they always pretty much sucked. Gill had good connections where he was recruiting at UB, probably areas that could have been solid for Syracuse. Gill went from being a hot up and comer to a complete failure, he is probably somewhere right in the middle. It's a tough biz for sure, great one day, the next

There was a lot of interest by coaches, some as a steppingstone but some I bet wold stay if successful. We can't get a Saban or Meyer but neither can 95% of the schools.

I don't doubt it and I really don't get the problem with a stepping stone coach to begin with. If a guy comes here and wins 20+ games in two years and leaves ... to say I'm cool with it is an understatement.

He lost me at the title.

You'd think so wouldn't you. But I present to you...Shiano :crazy:

I think everyone is making a gigantic assumption by saying this isn't a stepping stone job for Marrone. Just because he is an alum doesn't mean if he puts a couple of great seasons together he may be on to bigger and better as well. Whether that is college or NFL, who knows.

It is always tough hiring an alum. It makes it much tougher to cut your losses and move on when the head guy is an alum. Not saying SU needs to get rid of Marrone, but if it ever gets to be that time it could get messy.

Nothing "wrong" with it...but I don't want it. I want a guy, like Marrone, who may stay, grow, and be content at his alma mater.
I see less upside with that.

I blame Boeheim. I really do. Coach B has convinced Syracuse fans that what he has done can be replicated. James Arthur is a rare, and beautiful bird. You don't see JAB as your hiring profile.

To be clear, I'm not saying you want a guy who may stay, grow, and be content at his alma mater because of Jim Boeheim. But I am saying that guys take short gigs and are really successful with them all the time. Maybe that's not a bad way to go instead of trying to hire lifers.:noidea:

I see less upside with that.

I blame Boeheim. I really do. Coach B has convinced Syracuse fans that what he has done can be replicated. James Arthur is a rare, and beautiful bird. You don't see JAB as your hiring profile.

To be clear, I'm not saying you want a guy who may stay, grow, and be content at his alma mater because of Jim Boeheim. But I am saying that guys take short gigs and are really successful with them all the time. Maybe that's not a bad way to go instead of trying to hire lifers.:noidea:

It's not blaming JB. It's blaming Schwartzwalder, Mac, and P. The football program has had six coaches (including HCDM) since 1949. While that's not quite Paterno-like, it's still significant. Longevity has been a part of the tradition of Syracuse football.

It's not blaming JB. It's blaming Schwartzwalder, Mac, and P. The football program has had six coaches (including HCDM) since 1949. While that's not quite Paterno-like, it's still significant. Longevity has been a part of the tradition of Syracuse football.
Hmm. That's fair. I'd still say that longevity is pretty unusual, and not something I'd want to bank on going forward.

give marrone what rutgers gave schiano (ie huge upgrades in EVERYTHING) and this would be a no brainer---nuff said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom