Keep calm and Orange on... | Syracusefan.com

Keep calm and Orange on...

Rocco

Watching you.
Obviously going to take some time to get the right personnel in there, especially on D. Running a Tampa 2 with Shafer's smaller, blitz-oriented guys is a nearly insurmountable task. Thus far, it has definitely shown to be the case. Not to mention the cupboard is/was fairly thin, especially in the secondary. I haven't ever really been a fan of the Tampa 2, but it clearly works when coached and played the right way.

On offense, I'm not nearly as worried. This is a complicated, high-pace system that will take time to get ironed out. You can now understand why Babers says around midway through the 2nd year. The players are fine IMO, it's the execution that needs to be better. Good news is that can be fixed with practice, repetitions and coaching. You can tell based on the size of the OL he's recruited and recruiting that they tend to be taller and longer. The line is spread out wider so he wants guys who can pass block and get out for screens. It seems that all of the recruited guys are all 6'5"-6'7" and fairly lean.

Hard to not get pissed off (yes I understand the frustrations, believe me), so we're going to have to really hope we can make a bowl game. This team would benefit from 15 extra practices probably more than anyone in the ACC at this point. Installing brand new systems on both sides of the ball and playing at a fast clip on offense makes conditioning for both the offense and defense incredibly important. A 3 and out on offense might only take 90 seconds. Even a TD drive might only take a few plays. It's crazy, but as the players get used to it and are properly conditioned, it won't be an issue at all. Watching Baylor last night was awesome. They play so fast and just sling it all over the place. Took Briles quite a while to get it there, but now his son is running the O.

We all knew, at least deep down, that this year was going to be tough. I don't think we thought we were going to get blown out like we have, but both LVille and USF are legit, loaded with talent and experience. Our schedule this year is absurd and we will have our chances. Making a bowl game would be a huge feat and our team would GREATLY benefit from that. Dungey and Co need reps to getting better and perfecting the up-tempo, no huddle.

I ain't worried. I think this will work out sooner than later and we will all be happy.

I will end in saying that it is exciting every time our offense goes out on the field. Kinda that "on the edge of your seat" feeling. Haven't had that feeling, at least on offense, in years.

Eric doesn't have a very strong arm. Plus hes exhausted by half time

I'm basically staying away from this board -- as a poster at least -- during this season. Too much fretting, second-guessing and outright panic. Just want to say how much I like this post, however. I'm not worried either. Nothing I have seen so far really surprises me. Nor -- while the results of the past two games have been disappointing -- do I despair of this coaching staff eventually turning the corner. I think between now and December we'll see plenty the fuel both the negative nellies and the crazed optimists among the fanbase -- and some of our fans are both depending upon the time of day and the weather. Bottom line, however, is that from what I've seen and read, whether we end up 3-9 or 7-5, I believe we finally have coaching staff, AD and Chancellor who will see us back in the hunt for the Top 25 on a regular basis within 2-4 years.

Obviously going to take some time to get the right personnel in there, especially on D. Running a Tampa 2 with Shafer's smaller, blitz-oriented guys is a nearly insurmountable task. Thus far, it has definitely shown to be the case. Not to mention the cupboard is/was fairly thin, especially in the secondary. I haven't ever really been a fan of the Tampa 2, but it clearly works when coached and played the right way.

On offense, I'm not nearly as worried. This is a complicated, high-pace system that will take time to get ironed out. You can now understand why Babers says around midway through the 2nd year. The players are fine IMO, it's the execution that needs to be better. Good news is that can be fixed with practice, repetitions and coaching. You can tell based on the size of the OL he's recruited and recruiting that they tend to be taller and longer. The line is spread out wider so he wants guys who can pass block and get out for screens. It seems that all of the recruited guys are all 6'5"-6'7" and fairly lean.

Hard to not get pissed off (yes I understand the frustrations, believe me), so we're going to have to really hope we can make a bowl game. This team would benefit from 15 extra practices probably more than anyone in the ACC at this point. Installing brand new systems on both sides of the ball and playing at a fast clip on offense makes conditioning for both the offense and defense incredibly important. A 3 and out on offense might only take 90 seconds. Even a TD drive might only take a few plays. It's crazy, but as the players get used to it and are properly conditioned, it won't be an issue at all. Watching Baylor last night was awesome. They play so fast and just sling it all over the place. Took Briles quite a while to get it there, but now his son is running the O.

We all knew, at least deep down, that this year was going to be tough. I don't think we thought we were going to get blown out like we have, but both LVille and USF are legit, loaded with talent and experience. Our schedule this year is absurd and we will have our chances. Making a bowl game would be a huge feat and our team would GREATLY benefit from that. Dungey and Co need reps to getting better and perfecting the up-tempo, no huddle.

I ain't worried. I think this will work out sooner than later and we will all be happy.

I will end in saying that it is exciting every time our offense goes out on the field. Kinda that "on the edge of your seat" feeling. Haven't had that feeling, at least on offense, in years.
Yep good post with good points. Last week was hoping for better this week not so much prepared for this (as I mentioned last week I will be for any team not named BC, Wake, UConn, NCst, and maybe VTech for that desired bowl game you accurately mention). Work in progress. All will need to keep the faith. And hopefull "all" will.

today i was disappointed in dungey's game as he missed a lot of throws and or wide open big plays

Those 2 TD throws in the 1st quarter were bullets and perfectly placed. He's not Dan Marino, but he's fine in this system. You can tell he's a bit overwhelmed.

Officer time

Mahoney is not seeing the field unless Dungey gets hurt or it's garbage time. Glad we have him for a backup, but he's not going to jump Dungey.

It's tough after the past decade to be like "this time we're rebuilding for real" but I do think he has a system that is unique and can work here. His offense will bring in better recruits and then hopefully winning follows allowing for even more high end recruits.

I'm not even mad at Dino. This season so far has me getting more annoyed at Shafers awful recruiting.

Also, if someone in the country has a tougher schedule than us, I'd really like to see it. Our schedule is absolutely insane.

Rocco thank you for the very level-headed post.

We will most likely not make a bowl this year. The schedule & mounting injuries being a hurricane force headwind at this point.

I lose sleep over recruiting. If we can't break out of the 50' and 60's we're going struggle regardless of coach/system.

I believe we have the right coaches and system in place. It's ALL about recruiting, IMO. We have to get the horses.

Attention: 5 year seniors come to Syracuse and be the next Amba Etta-Tawo. Or better yet, come play defense.

Eric doesn't have a very strong arm. Plus hes exhausted by half time

A year from now he won't have either problem. You have to get conditioned for this system

Game three in a new system that takes approximately eighteen games to fully install. This team is already better than last season. The defense is new, has many injuries and many new faces. I cannot complain when the new HD plainly tells me to be patient, tells me his plan and sets what he deems a timeline for expectations.

Kind of feel like we get so many possessions and run so many plays - it's like getting those 15 extra practices.

Great post as always Rocco

Bowl game? We might not win another game. SU won't be favored in another game this year. I doubt they will be favored over UCONN next week.

I don't know. I think we win either way. But it will be interesting - I think we are good enough on O and they are bad enough on O that we should be favored.

Attention: 5 year seniors come to Syracuse and be the next Amba Etta-Tawo. Or better yet, come play defense.

This is such a good point. While the staff restocks the cupboards with their guys, going after 5th year transfers is a winning proposition. AET has been an absolute beast. He has legit NFL talent.

Yes, grabbing a few transfers on the defensive side of the ball would be great. Preferably a couple really good corners and a DE.

Then it allows some of these younger kids to redshirt and continue to develop.

Those 2 TD throws in the 1st quarter were bullets and perfectly placed. He's not Dan Marino, but he's fine in this system. You can tell he's a bit overwhelmed.

Mahoney is not seeing the field unless Dungey gets hurt or it's garbage time. Glad we have him for a backup, but he's not going to jump Dungey.
he was great in 1st quarter..after not so much

Bowl game? We might not win another game. SU won't be favored in another game this year. I doubt they will be favored over UCONN next week.

uconn line will be interesting my initial though is uconn by 3? We could be favored against nc state and or bc depending on results

Do you honestly believe that UConn will be favored over Syracuse?

uconn line will be interesting my initial though is uconn by 3? We could be favored against nc state and or bc depending on results

Do you really believe that Syracuse will be an underdog v. UConn?

I like to think that our schedule to date has been a little tougher than their schedule. I know we average more points scored than they do. I think our defense can get enough stops to beat them.

Do you honestly believe that UConn will be favored over Syracuse?

Syracuse is absolutely going to be a dog against Uconn. On the road for the first time with the worst D in div 1, how could they not???

Syracuse is absolutely going to be a dog against Uconn. On the road for the first time with the worst D in div 1, how could they not???

Statistically, yes, the Orange may have the worst D. However, not many teams have played the strength of schedule to date that the Orange have. Add to that the fact that UConn has not been playing anything close to world beaters.

Regardless, I believe Syracuse wins the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom