Kelvin Sampson vs Cuse zone | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kelvin Sampson vs Cuse zone

Houston is crazy athletic. We need to score to keep them out of transition. If we can set up our D we win. If they run they will beat us. We dont have the speed to get into a track meet with them.

I like how this is going we had major worries but confidence vs SDSU and then again vs WVU. We should have a legit shot to jump on them early as they try and figure out the zone. 6,3,2 - no way around the facts that it would be tough sledding.

Grimes can get en fuego from three.

We shall see.

I like our chances, in terms of how their team shapes up beyond the arc, and how they struggle when they can't get out in transition.

WVU could shoot their way out of a big hole from deep. I don't believe that UH can. And I've watched them play a lot, too, this season.

We shall see.

I like our chances, in terms of how their team shapes up beyond the arc, and how they struggle when they can't get out in transition.

WVU could shoot their way out of a big hole from deep. I don't believe that UH can. And I've watched them play a lot, too, this season.
My only point was they shoot a lot of threes and Grimes is a big time shooter from deep. The difference between someone like him and McNeil of WVU is that Grimes can create his own shot. To be clear I'm not predicting anything just clearing up the notion that they can't hurt us from three. It's a huge part of their game. Much more so than WVU.

My only point was they shoot a lot of threes and Grimes is a big time shooter from deep. The difference between someone like him and McNeil of WVU is that Grimes can create his own shot. To be clear I'm not predicting anything just clearing up the notion that they can't hurt us from three. It's a huge part of their game. Much more so than WVU.

Not against good teams they don't. Against tougher competition they haven't shot the 3ball well and shot less of them compared to their blowout wins vs the lower half of the conference. They do shoot a fair number of them but it's middle of the pack vs a team putting up 30 a game.

7-22 vs WSU
4-19 vs SC
5-17 vs Boise
8-24 vs TTU
7-25 vs UCF
7-22 vs Mem
8-22 vs RU(NCAA)
8-24 vs WSU (GM2)

Last edited:

And I want to clear up the notion that they do a lot of damage from deep. They have two guys who are consistent threats -- others who shoot high percentages, but low volume. They aren't a consistently good three point shooting team, especially when they play against better teams on their schedule.

We can deal with that. Remind me about SDSU's offensive statistics again?

You've watched them play -- they are an athletic team that thrives in transition. Take that away, and they struggle more to execute slower, half court sets. WVU could shoot their way back into a game; I'm not convinced that Houston can. Now, COULD they light it up? Sure -- anything's possible in a single elimination NCAA tournament game. But I've watched them play this year -- a lot, due to a close friend being an avid UH fan -- but that isn't their forte. It was WVU's forte.

I know, I know -- be careful what you wish for. We can pay attention to one great shooter. I strongly believe that they will struggle against the zone, and that they are a better matchup for us than Rutgers would have been. We'll find out this weekend.

Not against good teams they don't. Against tougher competition they haven't shot the 3ball well and shot less of them compared to their blowout wins vs the lower half of the conference.
Re-read my first sentence.

Grimes and Sasser have attempted over 200 3s, no one else on Houston has taken over 80. Sasser shoots 32% from 3, however Grimes shot 42%.

No one else from Houston made over 30 3s but Jareau and Gorham shot respectable percentages despite not attempting a lot.

To put this all in perspective, no one on Syracuse has taken over 200s.

Grimes is going to be an issue for us, I feel like he will be good at the foul line, but he’s their best 3pt shooter. He is a low percentage shooter from 2, though
From watching Houston vs Rutgers ... they look like a more athletic version of SDSU but with a 6'7 center. They have 11 guys that play double digit minutes and Sampson constantly is subbing like a revolving door. Not a real physical team certainly not as much as WVU. Looking at their schedule ... other than a early season win over Texas Tech, they didn't play much. The only other good win they have are 2 close wins over Memphis by 2 and 3 points. Not impressive.

From watching Houston vs Rutgers ... they look like a more athletic version of SDSU but with a 6'7 center. They have 11 guys that play double digit minutes and Sampson constantly is subbing like a revolving door. Not a real physical team certainly not as much as WVU.

one clarification, I agree that they don't have a physically imposing inside player, the types of really hurt us this year, but they have several relentless effort guys who do a lot of damage on the glass and in transition, creating second chance opportunities, steals that turn into run outs, etc.

And I want to clear up the notion that they do a lot of damage from deep. They have two guys who are consistent threats -- others who shoot high percentages, but low volume. They aren't a consistently good three point shooting team, especially when they play against better teams on their schedule.

We can deal with that. Remind me about SDSU's offensive statistics again?

You've watched them play -- they are an athletic team that thrives in transition. Take that away, and they struggle. WVU could shoot their way back into a game; I'm not convinced that Houston can.

I know, I know -- be careful what you wish for. We can pay attention to one great shooter. I strongly believe that they will struggle against the zone, and that they are a better matchup for us than Rutgers would have been.
I don't agree with the Rutgers comment at all. We're spending a lot of conversation on three point shooting when the real issue, which you haven't mentioned, is keeping Houston off their offensive glass. They're one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country. Watch the last five minutes of the Rutgers game and that was borne out. They shot 150 more threes than WVU this reason and part of the reason for that is their confidence that they can grab long rebounds and loose balls.

JMO but Grimes is a better player than anybody on WVU's squad. Not even close.

I never mentioned anything about SDSU but clearly they're not in Houston's league.

I think we have a good shot at beating Houston but there is a good reason why they're even money to advance to the F4. They're a solid squad.

Re-read my first sentence.

Semantics over what " a lot of 3s" means but yeah. The rebounding and team speed is far bigger than outside shooting in the bigger picture.

Semantics over what " a lot of 3s" means but yeah. The rebounding and team speed is far bigger than outside shooting in the bigger picture.
699 attempts if u need greater clarity.

I don't agree with the Rutgers comment at all. We're spending a lot of conversation on three point shooting when the real issue, which you haven't mentioned, is keeping Houston off their offensive glass. They're one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country. Watch the last five minutes of the Rutgers game and that was borne out. They shot 150 more threes than WVU this reason and part of the reason for that is their confidence that they can grab long rebounds and loose balls.

I never mentioned anything about SDSU but clearly they're not in Houston's league.

I think we have a good shot at beating Houston but there is a good reason why they're even money to advance to the F4. They're a solid squad.

Given how we are playing this will be a litmus test for how much of that reputation built against mostly crappy competition plays out. Grimes is a better shooter than anyone on WVU for sure. Better overall player is debatable. He had to be the only guy who could get going in quite a few games for them. Usually once he gets rolling things open up for Jerreau and Sasser.

699 attempts if u need greater clarity.

No- re read what I said. I was speaking to quality competition. They put up more vs weaker competition, and made more too.

And as already stated it doesn't matter. We have to rebound, not let Grimes get free all night and keep shooting it well. Also can't let Sasser go wild in the lane. Houston is a little different but not a ton than SDSU in that they play in a limited bid conference with a lot of weak competition. So it's hard to gauge what to expect even with watching them a lot. Hopefully Sampson thinks 40 3s and no quality man in the high post is the way to go like he did in 03.

Nice attempt to move the goal posts. In the post directly above yours, I discussed their relentless, attacking approach to offensive rebounds.

The topic being discussed was shooting, not who's the "better" player. Who cares how many threes they shoot, when they don't consistently make them?

Which was the point. WVU could make us pay from three, UH might not be able to. But they are athletic as hell, and they have interchangeable pieces who go chase down the ball.

On paper, they are going to have difficulty attacking the zone -- because being forced to play half court offensive sets is not their forte. They can overcome that by dumping and chasing. Teams that do that can and have hurt us this year. So we're going to need to rebound better than we have all year to limit their second chance opportunities. If we can, then I think that we have a great chance. If we let them dump and chase, then it's going to be a long game. But I've seen this movie before with respect to uber athletic teams facing the zone for the first time at this stage of the NCAA tournament.

Given how we are playing this will be a litmus test for how much of that reputation built against mostly crappy competition plays out. Grimes is a better shooter than anyone on WVU for sure. Better overall player is debatable. He had to be the only guy who could get going in quite a few games for them. Usually once he gets rolling things open up for Jerreau and Sasser.
Crappy competition can be something that makes Houston look better than they are. Fair point. Interesting concept though cuz I've been saying the same thing about Gonzaga which everyone thinks is a mortal lock to win the title.

Nice attempt to move the goal posts. In the post directly above yours, I discussed their relentless, attacking approach to offensive rebounds.

The topic being discussed was shooting, not who's the "better" player. Who cares how many threes they shoot, when they don't consistently make them?

Which was the point. WVU could make us pay from three, UH might not be able to. But they are athletic as hell, and they have interchangeable pieces who go chase down the ball.

On paper, they are going to have difficulty attacking the zone -- because being forced to play half court offensive sets is not their forte. They can overcome that by dumping and chasing. Teams that do that can and have hurt us this year. So we're going to need to rebound better than we have all year to limit their second chance opportunities. If we can, then I think that we have a great chance. If we let them dump and chase, then it's going to be a long game. But I've seen this movie before with respect to uber athletic teams facing the zone for the first time at this stage of the NCAA tournament.

I started to craft a response and then I realized we're just talking past each other. Kinda like when u told me Christmas would have a ten year NBA career. Have a good night.

I started to craft a response and then I realized we're just talking past each other. Kinda like when u told me Christmas would have a ten year NBA career. Have a good night.

Wow. You hanging onto something that obscure from 7 years ago speaks volumes about why you're digging in your heels despite being wrong about UH only having two consistent shooters and a couple of high percentage / low volume shooters -- but all good.

Likewise, have a good night.

Crappy competition can be something that makes Houston look better than they are. Fair point. Interesting concept though cuz I've been saying the same thing about Gonzaga which everyone thinks is a mortal lock to win the title.

This might be the first year Gonzaga is the real deal with Suggs putting them over the top. Otherwise I would concur and have never been in the send them to the FF after 10 games camp either.

At least earlier this year, our transition defense was the worst I have ever seen and we have a penchant for starting fast breaks with wild ass 3 pointers from 38 feet by JG and AG. AG and KR need to be slashers in this game. Dolezaj needs to team up with QG for looks in the paint. Edwards could be helpful if he can get rebounds. More than ever, we can't be taking poor quality shots from 3. We've gotten lucky so far that most of our terrible shots have somehow gone in, but we've also been generating a high quantity of good looks as well. ONLY take quality 3s!!!

one clarification, I agree that they don't have a physically imposing inside player, the types of really hurt us this year, but they have several relentless effort guys who do a lot of damage on the glass and in transition, creating second chance opportunities, steals that turn into run outs, etc.
Yes. According to stats, Houston rebounds 39.8% of their misses. Best in the nation. They get 39% of their points on 2nd shots. So their strength is exactly what our weakness is. Fortunately their weak spot is they don't defend the 3 well. They rank #112 nationally in 3 point % defense. They also foul a lot and put opponents on the free throw line a lot.

Yes, Sampson is scum and should be in a jail somewhere contemplating his many sins.
At one point, he was the head of the coaches' ethics committee - that's all you need to know about the ethics in college BB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom