Kent State to hire Sean Lewis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kent State to hire Sean Lewis

This is not a surprising development. Lewis was getting looks after last season.

I've heard play-calling duties were bound to be mixed up for 2018 anyways.

Good luck to Sean... he's been a great coach and advocate for SU.

Kent State scored 20+ points in only three games this year and won a total of three games. Any coach coming in could certainly improve on that.

Kent State scored 20+ points in only three games this year and won a total of three games. Any coach coming in could certainly improve on that.
Is GRob available?

This could be a major shakeup depending on who he brings with him.
Could very well take Mike Lynch with him to be OC.

Reno Ferri is from Ohio and coached several years in Akron.

Losing Ferri would be awful. Dude has legit connects in the DMV.

Is GRob available?
Is GRob available?

111608gregrobinson3jpg_44bdd99574b1cbe6.jpg

"Did you say Kent?? My little train could climb that hill!"

Couple of guys Babers could bring in. Randy Clements and Jeff Lebby. Both worked with him at Baylor. Helped put together those amazing offenses. Clements(oline and running game coordinator) Lebby(passing game coordinator and recruiting coordinator)
Both work for an NAIA school in Florida right now.

Lynch and Lewis are co-OCs but since Lynch always sits in the coaching booth and Lewis is on the field, I think Lynch calls the plays and is technically ahead of Sean in the SU coaching pecking order.

Kent is looking for an offensive minded coach. The other SU coach they are interested in is surely Lynch. Lynch and Lewis are also candidates for the Missouri head coaching job.

If one was hired by Kent, I cannot fathom them being able to take the other with them. It would be a pay cut and a much less visible position from which to be considered for future HC jobs.

The same applies to Ferri. He would have to be offered a coordinator position to seriously consider leaving Syracuse. Even then I don't think he would do it.

Good to see the assistant coaches in the mix for HC jobs. That speaks well for the staff, the system and our current HC. I hope one of them gets a HC position soon. Lewis is very outgoing, confident and charismatic. He will be a future HC. From my limited observations of the staff in social situations, Lynch is a lot more reserved. He might not interview as well. But he has experience calling plays in this system, which has to be a big plus for him.

Lynch and Lewis are co-OCs but since Lynch always sits in the coaching booth and Lewis is on the field, I think Lynch calls the plays and is technically ahead of Sean in the SU coaching pecking order.

Kent is looking for an offensive minded coach. The other SU coach they are interested in is surely Lynch. Lynch and Lewis are also candidates for the Missouri head coaching job.

If one was hired by Kent, I cannot fathom them being able to take the other with them. It would be a pay cut and a much less visible position from which to be considered for future HC jobs.

The same applies to Ferri. He would have to be offered a coordinator position to seriously consider leaving Syracuse. Even then I don't think he would do it.

Good to see the assistant coaches in the mix for HC jobs. That speaks well for the staff, the system and our current HC. I hope one of them gets a HC position soon. Lewis is very outgoing, confident and charismatic. He will be a future HC. From my limited observations of the staff in social situations, Lynch is a lot more reserved. He might not interview as well. But he has experience calling plays in this system, which has to be a big plus for him.

Good post but did you mean Missouri? That job looked like it would come open but Barry Odom got it turned around and they are headed to a bowl and he just signed a contract extension. Don't mean to be anal about details, but I was just curious about what other job they have been mentioned for.

Good post but did you mean Missouri? That job looked like it would come open but Barry Odom got it turned around and they are headed to a bowl and he just signed a contract extension. Don't mean to be anal about details, but I was just curious about what other job they have been mentioned for.

I think it's for their OC position

...I hope one of them gets a HC position soon. Lewis is very outgoing, confident and charismatic. He will be a future HC. From my limited observations of the staff in social situations, Lynch is a lot more reserved...

This is exactly right -- Sean Lewis is the one Kent St will want, and the one Dino should want to keep. Brian Ward gets a bad rap on this board, but he also has the personality to be a head coach, has had head coaching experience, and was the choice to coach the bowl game after Dino left BGSU. His defense here was a large part of the team's improvement in October. Neither Lewis nor Ward will want to talk about November.

Kent State expected to name new head football coach next week

"...

Finalists have reportedly been chosen, but the position had not been officially offered to anyone as of Thursday. Interviews with the finalists, who have not been named, will reportedly be held this weekend in Cleveland.

The Golden Flashes are reportedly looking for a young coach with an offensive background. Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports reported on Thursday that Syracuse co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Sean Lewis is a “strong candidate” for the Kent State post, which would make sense.

Lewis, a former graduate assistant at Akron, served as the co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for a 2015 Mid-American Conference champion Bowling Green squad that averaged over 42 points per game. When head coach Dino Babers left the Falcons to take over the Syracuse program in 2016, he kept Lewis on his staff in the same position.

Another possible finalist is Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich. The Euclid native has been the Cowboys offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach since 2013. In his five seasons Oklahoma State has averaged nearly 40 points and 500 yards per game."

Link:
Kent State expected to name new head football coach next week

Who is he?

San Jose State to hire 28-year-old to be offensive coordinator

The 28-year-old Sowder, who will also coach tight ends, is believed to be the youngest coordinator in FBS football. He is a protege of Dino Babers and had worked under him at Bowling Green prior to Sowder’s time at Texas in 2016. He also coached under Babers at Eastern Illinois, where his receivers and the offense had record-breaking seasons.

If we lose an offensive coach a name we could see pop-up here is Andrew Sowder.

Good call. He was one of the only BG coaching staff who didnt follow Dino here in 2015.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom