Keys to beating LSU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Keys to beating LSU

You have to sell out to stop the run (and keep backside contain so the QB doesn’t burn ya) but LSU put up very pedestrian numbers against Miss State winning by 2. Auburn isn’t that good.

LSU needs to be forced to beat you from the air.

You contain the run and hope for turnovers.

What? You will see some option. And it if it's just marginally successful - it will open up even more for the passing game.

If our entire game plan is dink and dunk, might as well fold it up.

You have to a few things successfully if you want to win.

I understand that - but running the option (to me) seems like a fruitless proposition, considering the team speed of LSU. I could absolutely be wrong and understand it's seemingly a big part of the offense and what they want to do, but I would be much more excited if we saw some play-action roll out pass-run options to get them off the run early in the game.

Again, I don't claim to be an expert on play calling and hope the staff is smarter than me - but option football with what we are up against doesn't seem to make much sense.

1.) We need to slow the game wayyyy down and dominate time of possession. Seems obvious enough.

2.) We need to run the ball into the ground. If we are going to win this game we need to have success running the ball. Our line needs to create some push and we need to play Fredericks more than any other running back.

3.) Mahoney, perhaps the biggest key to the game. Based on the small sampling size from the CMU game he seems to be able to run the option well and from all reports he is a pretty sharp, smart kid. Needs to make smart plays and try to limit turnovers

4.) The Defense, especially the secondary. We are obviously going to give up points against a great LSU team but we need to limit them. Try to take away the run as much as possible and force them to throw as there QB is not a "great" passer. We need to win the turnover battle, plain and simple more possessions for us is less possessions for them which equals more opportunities.

5.) Lastly, special teams. Our kick coverage needs to be spot on and Cole Murphy needs to be on point Saturday. He is going to get opportunities and needs to connect. We cannot leave any points off the board. Also, Brisly needs to try and make something returning kicks. Returning punts and kicks for TD's are huge momentum boosters.

GO ORANGE!!!

1. is kind of an overrated stat.

What? You will see some option. And it if it's just marginally successful - it will open up even more for the passing game.

If our entire game plan is dink and dunk, might as well fold it up.

You have to a few things successfully if you want to win.

I think the plan should be to dink and dunk first. Keep them on their heels and then mix in some misdirection and shots deep. If you line up and run on 1st and 2nd downs, you play right into their strength.

We will find out very early on that option football is going to get us nowhere but backwards

Full_Rebar said:
I think the plan should be to dink and dunk first. Keep them on their heels and then mix in some misdirection and shots deep. If you line up and run on 1st and 2nd downs, you play right into their strength.

Yeah - I guess it's a bit of semantics. But I think the goal should be misdirection (either running or passing) ...

I think mixing it up will be key. Can't allow them to tee off knowing what's coming.

1.) We need to slow the game wayyyy down and dominate time of possession. Seems obvious enough.

2.) We need to run the ball into the ground. If we are going to win this game we need to have success running the ball. Our line needs to create some push and we need to play Fredericks more than any other running back.

3.) Mahoney, perhaps the biggest key to the game. Based on the small sampling size from the CMU game he seems to be able to run the option well and from all reports he is a pretty sharp, smart kid. Needs to make smart plays and try to limit turnovers

4.) The Defense, especially the secondary. We are obviously going to give up points against a great LSU team but we need to limit them. Try to take away the run as much as possible and force them to throw as there QB is not a "great" passer. We need to win the turnover battle, plain and simple more possessions for us is less possessions for them which equals more opportunities.

5.) Lastly, special teams. Our kick coverage needs to be spot on and Cole Murphy needs to be on point Saturday. He is going to get opportunities and needs to connect. We cannot leave any points off the board. Also, Brisly needs to try and make something returning kicks. Returning punts and kicks for TD's are huge momentum boosters.

GO ORANGE!!!
Very much agree with point 4. however I am not worried about our secondary in this one. They have an unproven QB that simply does not throw a lot! Take away the run game, (Somehow take away the running game) and this could be a lot closer of a matchup. I have to think that Auburn thought the same thing and that LF went off on them... 8 men in box at all times!!

Don't under estimate our QB, he has a great arm and can throw it around. Les likes to run the ball, they have limited him in the number of passes. I think if they turn let him air it out some, he will really impress people.

Don't under estimate our QB, he has a great arm and can throw it around. Les likes to run the ball, they have limited him in the number of passes. I think if they turn let him air it out some, he will really impress people.
sorry not trying to disrespect your QB, but the attempts are way down and seems all sort range stuff, I get you have a Heisman running back, but you would think that would actually open up the passing, just doesn't seem that way, at least through 2 games that is.

Well that's depressing. :)

We really really need to score first. Our biggest advantage is we're playing in the Loud House and if we go down 0-14 it will take the whole crowd out of it.

If we score first, maybe get a stop on their next drive, the fans might start believing a little bit, make a little more noise, our momentum compounds on itself as their QB starts unraveling... Am I dreaming again?

sorry not trying to disrespect your QB, but the attempts are way down and seems all sort range stuff, I get you have a Heisman running back, but you would think that would actually open up the passing, just doesn't seem that way, at least through 2 games that is.
I agree with 100%. We are going to have to throw it at some point. I know you weren't disrespecting him. We can be very frustrating offense to watch. Our coach gets complacent with a two td lead. Like miss st, in the 2nd half they were putting 8 or 9 in the box and we still wouldn't throw.

Don't underestimate our QB either. He has 100% completion percentage and led us on a game-winning TD drive in overtime in the one game he has played. :)

I don't want to come off as arrogant because you guys have been such gracious hosts but if LSU brings it's C game, it will win. Syracuse simply won't be able to overcome the LSU offensive line on running or passing downs. For instance, on 8/19 rushes by Fournette against Auburn, he wasn't touched until he was 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. He was never touched behind it. Maybe if you guys create a bunch of turnovers and score them you can keep it close and win on a last drive. Early games are not our thing so that will play to your advantage. However, I can't wait to see our speed (Fournette and Donte Jackson) on turf.

upload_2015-9-24_12-50-25.png

Everyone who runs out of that tunnel on Saturday should watch this clip first...

I don't want to come off as arrogant because you guys have been such gracious hosts but if LSU brings it's C game, it will win. Syracuse simply won't be able to overcome the LSU offensive line on running or passing downs. For instance, on 8/19 rushes by Fournette against Auburn, he wasn't touched until he was 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. He was never touched behind it. Maybe if you guys create a bunch of turnovers and score them you can keep it close and win on a last drive. Early games are not our thing so that will play to your advantage. However, I can't wait to see our speed (Fournette and Donte Jackson) on turf.
" if we bring out C game we win easily"
" if you guys create turnovers and score you can win on a last drive"

HUH? Syracuse is 3rd in the nation in turnover margin. 5 interceptions and 4 fumble recoveries so far.

Syracuse is also 6th in the nation in tackles for loss. Have we played LSU yet? No we havent, but you also havent played Syracuse yet. We are not the pathetic Auburn team you rolled over last week.

99% of the people on this board know this.

you are underestimating just how stubborn Les Miles really is. He is an old school kind of coach, with old school coaching philosophies. He is big on the old saying, "There are 3 things that can happen when you throw the football, and 2 of them are bad". If we can win without throwing the ball at all, he is the guy who would try to do it.

I understand that LSU is much more talented...but if LSU brings its C game, and SU by some chance brings its A game, then SU could absolutely win.

Now...if LSU brings its B game, even if SU brings its A game, I still think LSU wins by double digits. If LSU brings its A game? Then I fear it will turn into a total blowout.

I think it comes down to a few critical areas:

1. Win at the faceoff, therefore limiting their possessions

2. Win the battle for Ground Balls

3. Play physical in front of our cage

4. Make the extra pass to an open man when we have the ball on offense.

We are talking lacrosse, right?

LOL, our LAX team is a club sport. Pretty sure our budget only allows us to travel to neighboring states

Call me crazy, but I think we can put a big dent in Fournette's numbers. Their OL seems very underrated in all of this. They're really good. Problem is none of that matters if our defense is on the field the entire game. Need to get a lot of first downs, which is unlikely without Dungey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom