Keys to the game | Syracusefan.com

Keys to the game

MCuse44

Walk On
-get them in foul trouble. I think their depth is suspect. Huge drop in talent and they really struggled without sullinger in the beginning of the year.

What do you guys think?

Agreed we need to take the ball to the lane strong. Challange him drive right at him do not settle for jumpers early set the tone that we are going to jam this ball right down your throat. I want to see KJ Dion Scoop and Brandon drive the ball on these guys

-get them in foul trouble. I think their depth is suspect. Huge drop in talent and they really struggled without sullinger in the beginning of the year.

What do you guys think?

Yes, getting them (and Sullinger specifically) into foul trouble would be a huge advantage for us. But I think it’s more than just fouls that we need to generate. I completely agree that we have to drive the lane, get interior touches and take it straight at them physically. In this game we have the opportunity to dictate the tone and tempo to a large degree. If we play strong, limit their 2nd chances and win the turnover margin we'll be cutting down the nylon at about 9:30. 40 minutes of intensity and determination = a lifetime of pride. LGO!!

The games I have seen where OSU has struggled in, Sullinger has been in foul trouble and Buford has been cold. IMO shut down Buford and prevent Craft from being his pesty effective self and we win.

I have a feeling the foul situation with Rak and Keita will be more of a concern before the game is over.

I have a feeling the foul situation with Rak and Keita will be more of a concern before the game is over.

Yea I think this is the game we start to miss fabs 5 extra fouls. I've thought the 15 center/big man fouls we had all season was a big part of our depth and defense intensity.

On the defensive end, when OSU gets the ball down low, we'll need weakside help big time. That mean KJo and JS have to be active and not be spectators.

guard play-
its always the most important part in the ncaa's-

big guys get the press most of the time-but they wouldnt get it if not for the guards-

its not about guard stats-its about clock management keeping your guys involved on both ends-

our 3 finals have come because of guards who wouldnt crumble when it got tight-

jimmy has shown before with forth that you dont have to have a great big to win-

no matter the outcome its been on hell of a ride-and these kids will have nothing but my admiration for getting thru a season that was so "weird "

I'm not a fan of the "get them in foul trouble" strategy. Who the hell knows how the refs will be calling things. And if they're not calling things tight early there's a good chance we're down big as we repeatedly send guys into the paint to get stuffed.

If the strategy is to attack the rim and see where the chips fall, that's cool. But trying to draw fouls seems like a fools errand to me.

I think this is going to be the type of game that we will need to outscore them, A high scoring games helps us. The other night was the same thing. We didn't stop them at times, but we kept the pressure on because we kept scoring. OSU can also be turned over. They do have two very capable players to go high low against us. Our guards also have to protect the ball and don't get caught up going one on one against Craft. He will take it from our guards if we are careless. We have to make them earn their points and don't give them any easy transition turnovers. I think two of the three best teams remaining in the tournment are SU and OSU.

I'm not a fan of the "get them in foul trouble" strategy. Who the hell knows how the refs will be calling things. And if they're not calling things tight early there's a good chance we're down big as we repeatedly send guys into the paint to get stuffed.

If the strategy is to attack the rim and see where the chips fall, that's cool. But trying to draw fouls seems like a fools errand to me.
Agreed. The only time I like that strategy is purposely attacking a player who is already in foul trouble. Even if he doesn't foul, he can't be as aggressive defending in that situation. I thought Berggren having to spend a lot of time on the bench was one of the keys in the game the other night.

Take the ball strong to the rim right from the get go. I'd tell CJ to unleash one of his nastiest dunks over Sullinger (who can't jump) very early just to send a message. Don't settle for jump shots and one and done possessions. You have to let OSU know early that you're not going to be bullied. They totally bullied the Zags. If Sullinger gets into foul trouble they're in trouble they don't get much from their bench. KJ will be a key today. If he is aggressive and looking to score we're in it. If he disappears to the perimeter and has one of 7 point 1 rebound games we're toast.

There is one and only one key to this game for us... be aggressive on offense like we were against Wisc. If our guards and KJo settle for jumpers, it will be a long day for the Orange.

All I meant by get them in foul trouble was attack the basket and put them in situations where they are susceptible to fouls. I'm not sure how you can force people to foul you. Boehiem does it all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom