Kneeling MLB Version | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Kneeling MLB Version

Nope. But there is a soft cap in baseball (luxury tax) that gets somewhat punitive when a team goes over it.
Yes, and they can still afford to pay him. The Red Sox could have too. It’s a big joke. I’ll post some articles when I get a chance about the farce that is the luxury tax.

Right. And the Dodgers have been criticized by some for not pulling the trigger on signing any of these huge money guys(though they did try for Cole, the Yanks just went even further). They have not been reckless with the contracts at all, and have actually been criticized for not pulling the trigger, losing Greinke, etc. They traded for Machado, and then let him go.(good move)Given the track record of being cautious on these insane money deals, I feel even better about Betts being the guy they “finally” went for. Hard to question this front office at this point given the consistent success, and the looks of the future roster.
Yeah, they had virtually no money committed to anyone beyond 2022 and still have one of the strongest farm systems.

turner could...but he doesn’t have gold gloves, the same pop, and strikes out at a much higher rate, lower average and on base...

Betts doesn’t really have a weakness. Even in his “down” years he’s been top 10 MVP voting. He’s finished 2nd, 6th, 1st, and 8th the last 4 years.

Turner's career average is 10 points less than Betts. And to point the Dodgers are paying for what he did, hoping he can replicate it past the year 2030.

Turner's career average is 10 points less than Betts. And to point the Dodgers are paying for what he did, hoping he can replicate it past the year 2030.

Ok. My point though was that Betts is literally better at everything other than speed. And Mookie is great in that area too.

Yes, and they can still afford to pay him. The Red Sox could have too. It’s a big joke. I’ll post some articles when I get a chance about the farce that is the luxury tax.

Yeah and then they pay a tax to get distributed to other owners, increasing the size of their payout and helping other teams. Falls into one of those things where it's someone else's money.

Are you not paying attention to Albert Pujols productivity or Miguel Cabrera?

If you're not, don't.

Pujols has this year and next year at $30M per year.

Cabrera has this year and next year at $30M per year. Then 2022 and 2023 at $32M per year. Then an $8M buyout, as one assumes they won't take the $30M option in 2024.

Ok. My point though was that Betts is literally better at everything other than speed. And Mookie is great in that area too.

Understood. But is he 200 million dollars or whatever better?

It’s not risky if your franchise prints money

Oh they do. And if they want to blow past the luxury tax they can. I kinda think the owners collude on that but that's a very different subject.

I get annoyed when other franchises give the farm to a guy - like Nelson Arenado - then claim they cannot compete because of it. Won't be an issue for the LAD.

Oh they do. And if they want to blow past the luxury tax they can. I kinda think the owners collude on that but that's a very different subject.

I get annoyed when other franchises give the farm to a guy - like Nelson Arenado - then claim they cannot compete because of it. Won't be an issue for the LAD.
I do agree that these guys should reach free agency much sooner. I assume that will be a big part of the upcoming collective bargaining negotiations.

Mookie’s defense is elite.
He played RF at Fenway and made it look easy.
He makes plays so easy that it doesn’t flash.

Mookie has power, speed and is probably the at worst the 3rd best player in baseball behind Trout and Yelich.

He is 28 and still getting better.

Trea Turner can maybe do that...but that's a skillset that probably doesn't play in his mid 30s.

Baseball contracts though are kinda f-ed. Owners are really paying for past performance, and a lot of times past performance with different teams. Guys should get to free agency sooner.
Agreed. Like the draft should only provide an exclusive window to negotiate signing the player and after 45 days or so, the player can become a free agent.

They pay out the years because it is mindboggingly difficult to add that kind of win value to a team in any other way in the current market. GMs and owners know the out years are going to be money losers, but they try to model it best they can and "underpay" up front. Mike Trout has been worth about $560m to LAA since he started playing. He's earned only ~$150m. Right now, based on production and value, his salary should probably be about $70m. Mookie Betts has been worth abot $300m and has earned $60m in salary.

*Also, too, kneeling is A-OK with this veteran who has direct ancestors who have participated in every war the US has fought from the Revolutionary War until today, except 1812 (and that is just lack of evidence).

Last edited:
I'll be honest...I'm a casual fan of MLB.

I like and follow the Rays, Yanks and Mets (when I have time and I do watch some games).

If any of these teams support kneeling, I am done with each team that condones it.

I have enough politics shoved down my throat daily.

It took me 15 years to come back to MLB after all the strikes...could I come back from kneeling and pandering to BLM...we'll see.
You and Mike Ditka

Apparently lots of us are out there.

Initial ratings are down.

Get Woke, Go Broke.

1) They are going against the NBA and NHL when they usually do not?
2) The MLB season set up has been of a crap show, and the season is really tarnished.
3) The product without fans in the stands is just not as entertaining.

But I am sure they are lower only because of getting woke. :confused:

1) They are going against the NBA and NHL when they usually do not?
2) The MLB season set up has been of a crap show, and the season is really tarnished.
3) The product without fans in the stands is just not as entertaining.

But I am sure they are lower only because of getting woke. :confused:
NBA isn't doing great either.

A lot of pissed off fans looking for escape and instead they are getting lectured to by millionaires.

The baseball stuff has stopped. Manfred checked the box and moved on with a muddled approach to playing with COVID. The games themselves are good and the storylines are, interesting.

The baseball stuff has stopped. Manfred checked the box and moved on with a muddled approach to playing with COVID. The games themselves are good and the storylines are, interesting.
I’ve been having a blast... trying to follow as many teams as possible. It’s been fun. A lot of talented players in the MLB.