Kneeling MLB Version | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Kneeling MLB Version

636083272987356519-AP-49ers-Camp-Football.jpg

That image hurt Kaepernick at the time.
It completely hurt his message. Made it anti police.
I agree with you here, but the semantics part of me wants to say it didn’t frame the discussion, the socks tainted it.

Don’t go in the house and use common sense instead of being a meathead following a meathead law.
And don’t lie that you knocked when it’s clear that you absolutely did not.

How about, The Emancipation Proclamation, The Civil Rights Movement, ACLU, The Office of Minority Health, Affirmative Action, and the Southern Poverty Center. And I’m sure there are a bunch more organizations that reach out to minorities.

Maybe if you read the bio of Frederick Douglas or the books by black author Thomas Sowell, you’d see that the problem of racism is not what you believe it to be.

And what about the number of blacks and other ethnic groups that have gone from poverty to prospering in America? In business, government, education, sports, and the military, many blacks and minorities have achieved great heights in this country. Why didn’t racism affect their lives?
I’m glad you’re comfortable telling black people they don’t have it so bad. I’m certainly not.

Last edited:
I’ve never felt the kneeling had anything to do with the flag nor the military.

And if the SU football or basketball team chose to kneel as a team, I think Babers and Boeheim would also.

I’ve never felt the kneeling had anything to do with the flag nor the military.

And if the SU football or basketball team chose to kneel as a team, I think Babers and Boeheim would also.
Feels like it would take JB a long time to get up from the knee

Veterans have come out and said that kneeling is perfectly acceptable

veterans have come out and said that kneeling is an abomination

the constitution protects your right to a peaceful protest

Four years ago, Mookie Betts said he would never kneel during the national anthem because of his father, Willie, an Air Force veteran who served in Vietnam.

The 27-year-old’s stance has changed. Right before his first official game with the Los Angeles Dodgers Thursday night, Betts took a knee during the anthem. Nearly every player and coach from both the Dodgers and Giants took a knee before the anthem, but Betts was among those who also took a knee during it.

“I wasn’t educated. That’s my fault,” said Betts, who the day prior inked a 12-year, $365 million contract extension. “I need to be educated on the situation. I know my dad served and I’ll never disrespect the flag, but there’s also gotta be change in the world, and kneeling has nothing to do with those who served our country.”

A world where a guy can make over 350 million dollars to play baseball over 12 years is out of wack...

A world where a guy can make over 350 million dollars to play baseball over 12 years is out of wack...
There are one or two guys on the planet who can do what he does as well as him in a sport that generates billions of dollars. It feels right to me.

There are one or two guys on the planet who can do what he does as well as him in a sport that generates billions of dollars. It feels right to me.

Those long term contracts rarely seem to work out, but baseball owners keep going back to that well. But only in America...

It’s nice that you guys can argue this civilly on this board, making coherent points on each side.

A major issue in today’s society, that doesn’t serve to help rid the country of systemic racism, is the inability to have these discussions without being casted from society like an untouchable pending who you’re talking to.

Baseball money is mind boggling, really.

But given the market - there’s a few guys in the league who would seem to be “worth” a contract like that and Betts is one of them IMO. Betts, Trout, Yelich...that might be it?

I'll be honest...I'm a casual fan of MLB.

I like and follow the Rays, Yanks and Mets (when I have time and I do watch some games).

If any of these teams support kneeling, I am done with each team that condones it.

I have enough politics shoved down my throat daily.

It took me 15 years to come back to MLB after all the strikes...could I come back from kneeling and pandering to BLM...we'll see.

Mark - I have a bad feeling that cancel culture is going to take down your tailgates. And it's going to be a shame.

I hate saying this, but it's probably time to stop playing the national anthem at sporting events. But I do think we should honor the military, both past and present.

Sports should bring us together (except for the ***holes who like Georgetown or the Red Sox), not create yet another political divide.

If they keep playing it at SU football games, I hope it continues to be while the teams are in the locker room, as has been the case forever. We don't need to lose fans, even if some of you probably think good riddance.

Less on racism and more on bad contracts, the Dodgers are betting big on 2018 reoccurring:

I don't follow Champions League to know if their owners pay so much forward on a hope.

Baseball money is mind boggling, really.

But given the market - there’s a few guys in the league who would seem to be “worth” a contract like that and Betts is one of them IMO. Betts, Trout, Yelich...that might be it?

I just posted Betts career stats. I'm an NL guy so admittedly didn't follow him but always heard the name in superstar settings. He had an insane 2018, but the rest? I mean really good numbers, but it's like the Phillies hoping they get 2015 / 2017 (before he got hurt) Bryce Harper. If that bet goes south it's a payroll disaster.

I just posted Betts career stats. I'm an NL guy so admittedly didn't follow him but always heard the name in superstar settings. He had an insane 2018, but the rest? I mean really good numbers, but it's like the Phillies hoping they get 2015 / 2017 (before he got hurt) Bryce Harper. If that bet goes south it's a payroll disaster.

Gotta account for the 4 gold gloves and the speed/baserunning too.

I mean, game 1 he scored on a routine ground ball to second with the infield in, in a 1-1 game. It basically turned the whole game, and hardly anybody would’ve scored on that play.

Gotta account for the 4 gold gloves and the speed/baserunning too.

I mean, game 1 he scored on a routine ground ball to second with the infield in, in a 1-1 game. It basically turned the whole game, and hardly anybody would’ve scored on that play.

Trea Turner can maybe do that...but that's a skillset that probably doesn't play in his mid 30s.

Baseball contracts though are kinda f-ed. Owners are really paying for past performance, and a lot of times past performance with different teams. Guys should get to free agency sooner.

2019: Sixth in MLB in WARP
2018: First
2017: Eighth
2016: First
2015: Eleventh

Still only 27 years old.

2019: Sixth in MLB in WARP
2018: First
2017: Eighth
2016: First
2015: Eleventh

Still only 27 years old.

If he's running all over the Dodger outfield on the short side of 40 putting gap shots in his back pocket and hitting over 300 then great. Big risk.

Trea Turner can maybe do that...but that's a skillset that probably doesn't play in his mid 30s.

Baseball contracts though are kinda f-ed. Owners are really paying for past performance, and a lot of times past performance with different teams. Guys should get to free agency sooner.

turner could...but he doesn’t have gold gloves, the same pop, and strikes out at a much higher rate, lower average and on base...

Betts doesn’t really have a weakness. Even in his “down” years he’s been top 10 MVP voting. He’s finished 2nd, 6th, 1st, and 8th the last 4 years.

Is it? Are the Dodgers hurting for cash?

Right. And the Dodgers have been criticized by some for not pulling the trigger on signing any of these huge money guys(though they did try for Cole, the Yanks just went even further). They have not been reckless with the contracts at all, and have actually been criticized for not pulling the trigger, losing Greinke, etc. They traded for Machado, and then let him go.(good move)Given the track record of being cautious on these insane money deals, I feel even better about Betts being the guy they “finally” went for. Hard to question this front office at this point given the consistent success, and the looks of the future roster.