Kool Kid is awful | Syracusefan.com

Kool Kid is awful

GoSU96

Living Legend
that first half was Parianiesq.

3rd and 8 goes under center with a five step drop timing pattern for the first time all year and on a couple of 3rd and shorts stays in the gun with deep hand offs. What the hell is that.

You have Jerome Smith on the team, use him.

PTG running the wildcat, What?

Three TE's, spread? Huh?

The one time they go bunch power it works great, and then never seen again.

Illegal substitution coming out of a time out, chinese fire drills getting lined up. Yeesh.

We are paying for his education, have to remember he's a recruiter first and he will need to continue to get better. I'm not as down on him as many because he's a recruiter first... I just hope he can elevate himself to an average oc in a year or two. This is Syracuse football, we haven't had a legit oc in forever. Hackett was great for a 5-6 game stretch, hell Marrone's offense sucked for 3 out of 4 years, not this bad but still. I think we will get to stinking like 2010 stinking next year.

I still think pariani was worse and that sheet head Marrone hired spence was just as bad. People seem to forget about spence awful oc and one of the worst recruiters

Last edited:
He seems to be such a confident guy. I hope he's realizing he needs a few years of players in his system to understand it's complexity. Also needs to adjust to fit the personnel. He's a great recruiter let's hope these growing pains pay off in the near future.

Hackett sucked for a long time but he had Marrone. GMac has no one.

The complexity is overwhelming for these kid. I don't see the same complexity from FSU. He needs to visit college coaches and not nfl coaches. I don't care who he recruits its to complex and stupid.

He doesn't help matters with his ed play calling and personnel decisions either.

Hackett sucked for a long time but he had Marrone. GMac has no one.

The complexity is overwhelming for these kid. I don't see the same complexity from FSU. He needs to visit college coaches and not nfl coaches. I don't care who he recruits its to complex and stupid.

He doesn't help matters with his ed play calling and personnel decisions either.

We don't have fsu talent either, our offense isn't going to out athletic anybody right now. At least when we have faced inferior opponents it looked ok. I agree he needs to figure out what works and simplify but he is our primary recruiter as well, the better the talent the better the o will look. I don't want gmc going anywhere

where can he go with the results this year.. he wont get another OC job without showing some better results.

We don't have fsu talent either, our offense isn't going to out athletic anybody right now. At least when we have faced inferior opponents it looked ok. I agree he needs to figure out what works and simplify but he is our primary recruiter as well, the better the talent the better the o will look. I don't want gmc going anywhere

Thats my point, even if we had fsu talent the system is uneccasarily complex and he's still calling 3 TE spread. It's stupid.

Constantly pounded the edges for negative yardage, goes inside once or twice positive yards then keeps running sideways even though its not working.

In my eyes he doesn't have a feel for play calling and when/where to call what play. It constantly looks like he's trying to put a square peg into a round hole. All game long I feel like I'm saying why would you call that play on that down and distance.

Last edited:
i dont think he has confidence in the plays working unless we confuse the D, have we run more than a handful of drives this year where we just ran play after play. we dont have consistent holes being opened so they are looking for ways to get the D to spread out

I wrote this last week. Gmac thinks he is at the play station vs in a real game situation. He is as my father called him yesterday "A Greek diner"

Marrone and Hackett definitely would have done better, (or they would have had a plausible excuse).

I feel like Robin Williams at the end of Good Will Hunting.

He needs to simplify everything. He is too Kool for his own good and i sense a bit of arrogance in him as well. Still i believe that if we stick with him he is going to get it together. Lets give him three years and see what we have i think he will grow into this job. Next year will tell a ton

He knew enough to know to not trust hunt to lead a drive to the end zone after the turnover.

Great play call right there. Won the game for the Ugly shade of blue.

I wrote this last week. Gmac thinks he is at the play station vs in a real game situation. He is as my father called him yesterday "A Greek diner"
some of the best dammm diners were greek

How about the drive before the half.

43 yard pass to west - 1st and 10 at wake 30

1st down play is a roll out shovel pass to gulley? What was that and why?

2nd and 10 is a smith run btw he tackles for a gain of 4 (this should've been the first down play call)

Now it's 3rd and 6 and the wheels come off with 12 men in the huddle coming out of a time out. Not only was the 1st down play call stupid but the kids then don't know who should be on the field coming out of a time out .

THe drive ends in a 4th and 19 from the 39 after Beckett wales is called for a hold. He had a miserable game blocking by the way.

When is it he players and not the coach? Hunt left 3 TD on the field in the first half missing wide open WR running past the defense?

When is it he players and not the coach? Hunt left 3 TD on the field in the first half missing wide open WR running past the defense?
I agree but if you know that your QB cant make the throw why call the play? That is the point about my game boy comment. Kool thinks that the x and O side is all that is needed. Think of golf. You have to be able to hit the shot not just know what to hit.

There is a reason that we are posting on this site and he is not.

We don't see the scouting and the film we don't sit in on the game prep - in other words we really don't know what he is trying to do.

What I do know is that, if i were not for a couple of lousy missed pass interference calls and a couple of dropped passes, the Wake game might have been 30-0. He used a great trick play that worked perfectly and everyone ignore it.

There is nothing wrong with three tight ends - everyone is bitching about not using tight ends and no 3 is too many. Please.

We used the pistol not the gun and just where do you think Jerome is going to be? He averages 5 ypc so why is 3rd and short such a big deal.

McD is using younger players (more so than DM ever did) and he is trying to see what guys do in game situations. He has used Broyld effectively and he even changed him to make room for Estime. He finally sat Kobena who has done noting.

He takes shots downfield and three times they were open - Hunt missed them.

Give these guys a freakin chance.

4-4, 2-2.

Good and possible great recruits coming in.

A lot of hold overs from a different OC and system.

He'll get better. It was a win. Our offense outplayed their offense.

The season will be filled with uneven performances - new staff + new, young QB.

I agree but if you know that your QB cant make the throw why call the play? That is the point about my game boy comment. Kool thinks that the x and O side is all that is needed. Think of golf. You have to be able to hit the shot not just know what to hit.

Maybe that is why he adjusted and went to bubble screens only in the second half?

really would like to see this offense if we had one go to rcvr. it would force teams to roll coverage to someone or play more zone or double them up and free up the others with much easier routes.. Put Watkins on this team for the 1 easy score a game and create some indecision on the safeties.. the game is so much easier when we had a Mike Williams type to throw to. You put Lemon back on the team and things get better.

really would like to see this offense if we had one go to rcvr. it would force teams to roll coverage to someone or play more zone or double them up and free up the others with much easier routes.. Put Watkins on this team for the 1 easy score a game and create some indecision on the safeties.. the game is so much easier when we had a Mike Williams type to throw to. You put Lemon back on the team and things get better.

The WR's were not the problem against Wake. They were running wide open a lot yesterday.