Kool Kid is awful | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kool Kid is awful

??????

"It's not your fault"??

Every week you can set your watch to a Go post blasting McDonald and then one praising how great the Bills look. It was even adjusted for turning the clocks back an hour.

It comes off as some bizarre way of being threatened, I guess by the way the fans took to the McDonald hire by Shafer.

I've never really understood it though because it's not like Marrone and Hackett were fired so we could bring in McDonald.

So I thought maybe that movie scene would help resolve the issue.

Maybe I'm way off, but that's certainly the impression I get, even though I only got a B in Psych 205.

I think Gmac will be fine. My guess is they saw some things on film for Wake and tried to exploit them with the gameplan. Wake came out with 8 in the box and three deep coverage. We ended up with 25 yards in the first quarter. We ended up with 325 over the next 3. I thought he made some nice adjustments by taking what Wake gave him. If they are going to play 8 yards off the wideouts, why wouldn't you bubble screen them to death? I'll take 5 yards on that play all day.

He is learning on the job -- I am seeing enough out of him to know he is not Pariani 2.0. I am a big, big Marrone fan. Be he didn't exactly leave us with top 25 talent. Our QB is very raw, and coming out of NYC doesn't help. They have basically given him a 1 read offense to work with. Our top 4 Wr's consist of a trues possession guy, a converted QB that is playing WR for the first time, a true frosh who played db in high school, and a juco afterthought who weights 160 pounds.

Forget about who we replaced. Because 1st round LT's out of Syracuse happen ALL the time. Throw on a new system and there are going to be issues. His offense is predicated on getting the ball to athletes and letting them do their thing. Time shall tell. But for a guy who gives P and D all the rope in the world, you're pretty quick to tear a "non-SU" guy a new one.

When is it he players and not the coach? Hunt left 3 TD on the field in the first half missing wide open WR running past the defense?

depends on your agenda

OK, so with true freshman we have 8 in 4 years (50 games). (Two of those went to Milford.) I do not want to diminish your point by don't forget Marrone purged the team of a large number of players and did not have much choice in 2010 and 2011. Kobena is the only one I remember getting any significant time in 2011 and
last year, Broyld.

Lemon
Wales
PTG
Lemon
AAM played about 8 plays.
Kobena - Milford
Foster
Broyld - Milford

2013 2 in 8 games
Estime
Moore

I think it is fair to say that GMII and RunDMC, get more prime time playing time than other RSF than we have seen in the past.

I think we have more younger players on the field in prime time than we have before. When I find the time I will see if I am right or not.
You need to add Hodge to your 2013 list.

You need to add Hodge to your 2013 list.

Since we were talking about McDonald I assumed we were only talking about offense.

I think Gmac will be fine. My guess is they saw some things on film for Wake and tried to exploit them with the gameplan. Wake came out with 8 in the box and three deep coverage. We ended up with 25 yards in the first quarter. We ended up with 325 over the next 3. I thought he made some nice adjustments by taking what Wake gave him. If they are going to play 8 yards off the wideouts, why wouldn't you bubble screen them to death? I'll take 5 yards on that play all day.

He is learning on the job -- I am seeing enough out of him to know he is not Pariani 2.0. I am a big, big Marrone fan. Be he didn't exactly leave us with top 25 talent. Our QB is very raw, and coming out of NYC doesn't help. They have basically given him a 1 read offense to work with. Our top 4 Wr's consist of a trues possession guy, a converted QB that is playing WR for the first time, a true frosh who played db in high school, and a juco afterthought who weights 160 pounds.

Forget about who we replaced. Because 1st round LT's out of Syracuse happen ALL the time. Throw on a new system and there are going to be issues. His offense is predicated on getting the ball to athletes and letting them do their thing. Time shall tell. But for a guy who gives P and D all the rope in the world, you're pretty quick to tear a "non-SU" guy a new one.

I thought that he did a great job in the first quarter against Tulane. First two series were tremendous, great mix of run and pass, play design. I haven't seen anything close to that since, and yesterday was seriously disjointed. There was some really bizarre stuff.

Disagree made two good calls on two TDS reverse and Hunt keeper

Since we were talking about McDonald I assumed we were only talking about offense.
Gotcha...my bad, besides I forgot to mention Johnson

The learning on the job thing is a bit overblown. He was an OC at WMU for two years, after all, and he's been a passing game coordinator at Miami I want to say. In short, he's done this before. And the stats at WMU are not exactly mindblowing. First year, he had the school's all-time great at QB and averaged a little under 400 yards I think and year two was a major step backwards. No doubt the guy's got ambition. Hard not to like that. Maybe with more talent and seasoning, everything will click. But to my admittedly amateur eye, his game plans strike me as someone trying too hard to prove he's got the chops to do this job. I'm not proud of indulging in dime-store psychology. It's very Cohenesque. But I think there's something to it in this instance, especially given his past experiences.

The learning on the job thing is a bit overblown. He was an OC at WMU for two years, after all, and he's been a passing game coordinator at Miami I want to say. In short, he's done this before. And the stats at WMU are not exactly mindblowing. First year, he had the school's all-time great at QB and averaged a little under 400 yards I think and year two was a major step backwards. No doubt the guy's got ambition. Hard not to like that. Maybe with more talent and seasoning, everything will click. But to my admittedly amateur eye, his game plans strike me as someone trying too hard to prove he's got the chops to do this job. I'm not proud of indulging in dime-store psychology. It's very Cohenesque. But I think there's something to it in this instance, especially given his past experiences.

I completely agree -- learning on the job just doesn't entail scheming. He is learning what his players can and cannot do, what throws Hunt can make, routes Broyld can run, etc. He hasn't been around these kids long enough to understand their tendencies. He'll get there IMO.

I'm giving him a pass because he has a 1st year starter at QB, lost the top 2 WR, and NFL talent on the line. The QB is the toughest - it limits what you'd like to do quite a bit.

As for not running more - I don't get it. There have been 8 in the box every game this year. Every DC we face is trying to force Hunt to make big throws down the field.

By the second half, GM has adjusted into a better mix based on what the D us giving him and how THunt has been playing.

Also - we won.

Really good post, CIL

Lots of comical armchair psychology in this thread.

Last edited:
when you dont trust the QB you try to limit the throws where the D might be.. we threw more of those passes for INT than anything else.. mistakes are something this team cant over come right now.

There is a reason that we are posting on this site and he is not.

We don't see the scouting and the film we don't sit in on the game prep - in other words we really don't know what he is trying to do.

What I do know is that, if i were not for a couple of lousy missed pass interference calls and a couple of dropped passes, the Wake game might have been 30-0. He used a great trick play that worked perfectly and everyone ignore it.

There is nothing wrong with three tight ends - everyone is bitching about not using tight ends and no 3 is too many. Please.

We used the pistol not the gun and just where do you think Jerome is going to be? He averages 5 ypc so why is 3rd and short such a big deal.

McD is using younger players (more so than DM ever did) and he is trying to see what guys do in game situations. He has used Broyld effectively and he even changed him to make room for Estime. He finally sat Kobena who has done noting.

He takes shots downfield and three times they were open - Hunt missed them.

Give these guys a freakin chance.

Well put, Crusty. Execution is completely on the players and O-Line blocked correctly, the receivers ran the routes and it was Hunt that missed the throws. We know from the Tulane and Wagner games that Hunt CAN throw, but clearly with the step up in competition he is skittish. He will settle down and he is making better reads (he new tho throw to these guys even though he missed the throw) and didn't throw a pick. Continuous improvement.

give mcdonalds a helluva a lot of credit getting brisley in there. He by far one of the most athletic and talented guys on O so through him into the fire and see what happens. In the end it was a huge move that helped win us the game. Even liked how Ashton lined up out wide more and would have had a TD if Hunt hit him. Yes, Smith needs the ball more, but I think this week on the road we go back to the run a lot more.

give mcdonalds a helluva a lot of credit getting brisley in there. He by far one of the most athletic and talented guys on O so through him into the fire and see what happens. In the end it was a huge move that helped win us the game. Even liked how Ashton lined up out wide more and would have had a TD if Hunt hit him. Yes, Smith needs the ball more, but I think this week on the road we go back to the run a lot more.

And for making the switch from Allen to Hunt when Allen proved to be congenitally incapable.

There have been a lot of speed bumps from our OC, but some good signs as well.

Shafer said in the presser he moved Broyld out wide to have both on the field at the same time. That's basically an admission that those two kids are our biggest offensive players makes outside of the backs.

Shafer said in the presser he moved Broyld out wide to have both on the field at the same time. That's basically an admission that those two kids are our biggest offensive players makes outside of the backs.

I look forward to when we have 3 or 4 kids with Bristime's speed / athleticism / playmaking ability. Hope that Williams and Cooper bring that to the table, because we'll be exponentially more dangerous when we have a group of quality playmakers at WR, and hopefully a kid who can be a legit go to guy.

This isn't on Estime or his ability, but all those bubble screens for 2-3 yards did little to win the game. It kept them honest but we weren't gaining any yards so putting anyone out there would hVe had the same results. I realize putting Estime out there is with the hopes one will be broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And for making the switch from Allen to Hunt when Allen proved to be congenitally incapable.

There have been a lot of speed bumps from our OC, but some good signs as well.

I'll stick by my opinion that if we stuck with Allen the offense would be further ahead today.

I'll stick by my opinion that if we stuck with Allen the offense would be further ahead today.

Definitely not trying to be argumentative, 'bees, but that's a largely unsubstantiated position.

Allen showed little to demonstrate that he had the chops. :noidea:

In fact, he consistently demonstrated the opposite with his lack of feel for the offense, poor pocket presence, and the INTs.

I'm not absolving Hunt, who has also performed poorly in general. Sad commentary on the state of the QB position that we have these tow duking it out. I just want somebody to emerge--couldn't care less which QB it is.

Last edited:
This isn't on Estime or his ability, but all those bubble screens for 2-3 yards did little to win the game. It kept them honest but we weren't gaining any yards so putting anyone out there would hVe had the same results. I realize putting Estime out there is with the hopes one will be broken.

There were a few 4-5 yarders thrown in there. I don't have a problem with it - you need that play to spread out the D and open up some running lanes.