Kool Kid is awful | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Kool Kid is awful

Marrone always wanted a power run team combined with a short passing game and a physical, fast defense. He also always viewed Syracuse as a developmental school that will rely on its upperclassmen. He wanted the better athletes on the defensive end b/c he viewed he could scheme an offense with avg D-1 athletes (which we didn't have when he arrived) to score enough if the defense holds up its end.
I agree that was the strategy. I agree that given the circumstances, it wasn't a terrible one.

That said, I think long term that gets you boring football and scraping your way in to bowls. Offense is king. Nobody in the northeast has embraced that. Nobody else has the Dome. Let's do this.

I agree that was the strategy. I agree that given the circumstances, it wasn't a terrible one.

That said, I think long term that gets you boring football and scraping your way in to bowls. Offense is king. Nobody in the northeast has embraced that. Nobody else has the Dome. Let's do this.

I agree to the long term. Just wonder why everyone jumps on McDonald about installing a pass first offense when the pieces on offense don't fit it. I get frustrated b/c we don't run Jerome more, but he definitely wants to throw the ball in an uptempo, explosive offense.

I agree to the long term. Just wonder why everyone jumps on McDonald about installing a pass first offense when the pieces on offense don't fit it. I get frustrated b/c we don't run Jerome more, but he definitely wants to throw the ball in an uptempo, explosive offense.
Agreed. I'm fine with what McDonald is doing.

Do wish he gave it to Smith a little more though.

The existence of this thread is probably ruining recruiting.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

I think this goes with the style of recruiting.

Marrone always wanted a power run team combined with a short passing game and a physical, fast defense. He also always viewed Syracuse as a developmental school that will rely on its upperclassmen. He wanted the better athletes on the defensive end b/c he viewed he could scheme an offense with avg D-1 athletes (which we didn't have when he arrived) to score enough if the defense holds up its end.

So, I think the team, with Marrone at the helm, would be running the ball 2 times more then this one (and maybe more). This team, under Marrone, would have Smith, Gulley, Morris and McFarlane (and then you look at maybe Gus Edwards if he stayed) and would pound, pound, pound. Use the play-action passing game to get West and Kobena open (and maybe Funderburke) and take pressure off a true frosh QB named Zach Allen.

You won't get an argument from me that the talent from the 2 schemes (Hackett to McDonald) do not fit. I also think it is hard to say no Mike Williams, so he didn't recruit well in the skill player category. Many teams go decades without a player like Mike Williams.

Yeah I get that, and I knew he was doing that until he could get more explosive players in. I thought he could have recruited more athletic WR's. dont have to be a Mike Williams. Look at Maryland's back WR's. they lost Long and Diggs. Back ups Levern Jacobs Nigel King and Emba Etta-Tawo are more athletic and explosive than our first group. Ashton is physically gifted but is a work in progress at the Position. That group of Wr's for them made some big plays vs Clemson. Our first group of Wr's did nothing against them because they are incapable of getting consistent separation.

Last edited:
I don't see the same complexity from FSU.
We don't have fsu talent either, our offense isn't going to out athletic anybody right now.
Funny thing is Florida State's offense didn't explode until Jimbo Fisher was forced to dumb it down for a Redshirt Frosh QB. Then they were able to actually use their physical talent without having to think so much and it's working and Fisher accidentally looks like a genius. But I digress...

McDonald's offense might be too complicated but it's tough to tell at this point.

Funny thing is Florida State's offense didn't explode until Jimbo Fisher was forced to dumb it down for a Redshirt Frosh QB. Then they were able to actually use their physical talent without having to think so much and it's working and Fisher accidentally looks like a genius. But I digress...

McDonald's offense might be too complicated but it's tough to tell at this point.
my fear is the offense didn't explode before because ej manuel isn't that good

So, I think the team, with Marrone at the helm, would be running the ball 2 times more then this one (and maybe more). .

That would be pretty tough considering they are averaging 4o carries a game.

I think a #1 WR in college football is a lot like an ace in major league baseball.

How many teams truly have a #1 WR? I would say the answer is somewhere b/w 8 and 12 teams.

Possibly...but that's why McDonald makes the big bucks and got a promotion. I think he'll get SU some players if they aren't #1's, they'll be darn close.

That would be pretty tough considering they are averaging 4o carries a game.

You know last years' team averaged 43 carries a game with a much stronger passing attack? Double is probably a little strong, but they would sure be running the ball a lot more (especially if they kept the up-tempo attack).