Kool Kid is awful | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kool Kid is awful

The WR's were not the problem against Wake. They were running wide open a lot yesterday.

they absolutely were not. i was keying on them the for a good part of the first half, and that wasn't the case. Hunt had no where to throw the ball 75% of them time, and the times someone did break open he missed them. Blame goes to both, but our WR's and the scheme to get them open are both hurting Hunt, more then he is hurting them.

My take on the play calling is just as most of yours. Far too many formations, and different offenses. Like everyone has been saying, including Floyd Litte, and Don McPherson, who I do not believe post on this board, GMC needs to dumb down his play book significantly. Find a good group of plays that work, and go with them. I think he did that some with the bubble screens. I actually think that was a good adjustment he made, plus finally waking up and giving Smith the ball to start the 3rd quarter (still going to give him the benefit of the doubt and call that an adjustment) so he is showing some potential for making adjustments.

Still I can't even imagine the week of practice leading up to the game. I thought practice hours were limited? How in the hell do you go over and practice so many plays? More practice increases efficiency, there is no way that can be done with such a enormous play book.

My take on the play calling is just as most of yours. Far too many formations, and different offenses. Like everyone has been saying, including Floyd Litte, and Don McPherson, who I do not believe post on this board, GMC needs to dumb down his play book significantly. Find a good group of plays that work, and go with them. I think he did that some with the bubble screens. I actually think that was a good adjustment he made, plus finally waking up and giving Smith the ball to start the 3rd quarter (still going to give him the benefit of the doubt and call that an adjustment) so he is showing some potential for making adjustments.

Still I can't even imagine the week of practice leading up to the game. I thought practice hours were limited? How in the hell do you go over and practice so many plays? More practice increases efficiency, there is no way that can be done with such a enormous play book.
Jack of all trades Master of none

I don't argue with the simplification of the playbook but I would offer two points. First, he has to figure out what the kids can and cannot execute and second, they have to install different plays each week for different opponents.

So, it is a season long process for a new OC.

The biggest problem with the offense is there is no identity at all. I liked that they really tried to get it to the boundaries with Brisly, and then started using that to set up the deep pass. They need those boundary plays to work to open up the middle. Obviously need to give it to Jerome more. Dude should be getting 20-25 touches a game.

I don't mind attacking the boundaries, as long as that is setting up something else. The deep pass to West was due to the corners continually creeping up.

It almost seems like he can't help himself. He knows he needs to feed the horses, but wants to show off all the different offenses he knows, and formations he can use.

Here is what our running backs have done in ACC play

103 carries for 667 yards 167ypg 6.48ypc 4tds
Rome 5.69ypc
PTG 7.8 ypc

We need to use those jumbo sets, a lot like BC does. They seemed to work especially when we were attacking the middle. Work the pass in off the run, not the other way around. We just don't have the personnel right now to do much else. Adapt to your personnel, next season incorporate more of the passing stuff

How many true freshman did Marrone play on offense?

2009 - Lemon
2010 - Wales, PTG, Fleming. West would have played but he broke his foot in camp.
2011 - AAM, Foster, Kobena
2012 - Broyld

how do we as fans really know how complex the play book is. we dont run all that many formati0ns these kids have been playing football for 10-15 years and many in pretty complex HS offenses. you can have 500 plays but that doesnt mean its confusing.

I wrote this last week. Gmac thinks he is at the play station vs in a real game situation. He is as my father called him yesterday "A Greek diner"
Greek diner = redundant

that first half was Parianiesq.

3rd and 8 goes under center with a five step drop timing pattern for the first time all year and on a couple of 3rd and shorts stays in the gun with deep hand offs. What the hell is that.

You have Jerome Smith on the team, use him.

PTG running the wildcat, What?

Three TE's, spread? Huh?

The one time they go bunch power it works great, and then never seen again.

Illegal substitution coming out of a time out, chinese fire drills getting lined up. Yeesh.
I don't understand. For 4 years we got to enjoy posts from you that gave Marrone every benefit of the doubt for having what was more often than not pathetic offense. Season one of the Cool Kid era, not even part way through, and you're bombing him.

I'm not even saying that there aren't fair criticisms to make. I just wonder why you gave Hackett and Marrone years to prove themselves, and yet Cool Kid gets no time to establish himself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

they absolutely were not. i was keying on them the for a good part of the first half, and that wasn't the case. Hunt had no where to throw the ball 75% of them time, and the times someone did break open he missed them. Blame goes to both, but our WR's and the scheme to get them open are both hurting Hunt, more then he is hurting them.

In the first half alone Hunt missed three wide open players behind the defense that would have went for a TD's. He missed a number of crossing routes in the first half. He wasn't good at all in the first half and missed open WR's. He hit one long throw at the end of the half to West or I feel he would have been benched at that point.

In the second half we went to bubble screen after bubble screen. He did have one impressive throw in the second half and it was the first time I was impressed by a throw from Hunt. It was on a third down I believe to Estime or Broyld. It was over the middle and the ball had some zip on it.

I forget the exact numbers but on passes that were thrown 5+ (?) yards downfield, Hunt was 7-17. Most of the 10 misses the WR was open enough to have made the catch if the pass was on target. I think there was 1 drop in that 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand. For 4 years we got to enjoy posts from you that gave Marrone every benefit of the doubt for having what was more often than not pathetic offense. Season one of the Cool Kid era, not even part way through, and you're bombing him.

I'm not even saying that there aren't fair criticisms to make. I just wonder why you gave Hackett and Marrone years to prove themselves, and yet Cool Kid gets no time to establish himself.

Where did I say he shouldn't get time?

That was a clown show from the coaches booth yesterday.

Want to hear a joke?

Jerome Smith is 7th in the ACC in rushing. BC's Andre Williams has a full 100 more carries than Smith. What the hell are we thinking?

I think there's a tendency for some people to look for one root cause of the problem. The fact is that our offensive issues are multi-dimensional. The OL has taken a step backwards from last year. QB and WR have taken big steps backwards. No surprise on any counts, given the personnel attrition.

We have an entirely new offensive coaching staff [-1], new systems, and an OC who has primarily been a position coach up until now. Growing pains from the coaching staff collectively was to be expected. That said, the play calling has been baffling--I'll be the first to admit that--and I'm at a loss to understand why Jerome Smith isn't being utilized more. Real head scratcher.

Mix it all together, and there is a lot of discontinuity. The good news is that most of our OL returns next season, our starting QB returns, and there will be four young QB prospects competing for his spot, two of which are impressive looking recruits. Help is also on the way at WR. And presumably, the coaches will improve. I also expect things to get shaken up on the staff--just like Marrone did after his first year.

We got a much needed win yesterday, and bowl contention is still alive. Relatively speaking, we're in an OK spot.

Last edited:
2009 - Lemon
2010 - Wales, PTG, Fleming. West would have played but he broke his foot in camp.
2011 - AAM, Foster, Kobena
2012 - Broyld

OK, so with true freshman we have 8 in 4 years (50 games). (Two of those went to Milford.) I do not want to diminish your point by don't forget Marrone purged the team of a large number of players and did not have much choice in 2010 and 2011. Kobena is the only one I remember getting any significant time in 2011 and
last year, Broyld.

Lemon
Wales
PTG
Lemon
AAM played about 8 plays.
Kobena - Milford
Foster
Broyld - Milford

2013 2 in 8 games
Estime
Moore

I think it is fair to say that GMII and RunDMC, get more prime time playing time than other RSF than we have seen in the past.

I think we have more younger players on the field in prime time than we have before. When I find the time I will see if I am right or not.

that first half was Parianiesq.

3rd and 8 goes under center with a five step drop timing pattern for the first time all year and on a couple of 3rd and shorts stays in the gun with deep hand offs. What the hell is that.

You have Jerome Smith on the team, use him.

PTG running the wildcat, What?

Three TE's, spread? Huh?

The one time they go bunch power it works great, and then never seen again.

Illegal substitution coming out of a time out, chinese fire drills getting lined up. Yeesh.

I understand growing pains and all but what I want to know is what was wrong with what we were running last year? Yeah, coaches need to be comfortable running their own schemes but it's not like McDonald came here as a proven commodity with an offense that's put up big points and yards everywhere. And from what I've seen, he doesn't seem to be averse to experimentation. In fact, I can't tell exactly what kind of offense he's actually trying to run out there from week to week. Why not go with what the kids in the program know and understand? Why not go with what was successful last year? Confusion and high tempo don't mix. And if we don't have an advantage physically or athletically, as many claim, it would seem that high tempo is one way to make up for that. Or at least that was the formula last year.

The problem that McDonald seems to have is one that many folks have (and not just in football). He seems to equate innovation with success and career advancement. But it's actually doing things successfully (even simple things) that brings you career advancement. It doesn't matter if you invented the technique, it's whether you perfected it.

Last edited:
OK, so with true freshman we have 8 in 4 years (50 games). (Two of those went to Milford.) I do not want to diminish your point by don't forget Marrone purged the team of a large number of players and did not have much choice in 2010 and 2011. Kobena is the only one I remember getting any significant time in 2011 and
last year, Broyld.

Lemon
Wales
PTG
Lemon
AAM played about 8 plays.
Kobena - Milford
Foster
Broyld - Milford

2013 2 in 8 games
Estime
Moore

I think it is fair to say that GMII and RunDMC, get more prime time playing time than other RSF than we have seen in the past.

I think we have more younger players on the field in prime time than we have before. When I find the time I will see if I am right or not.

Morris hasn't played the last three games because of injury and Macfarland has had one carry the last three. Didn't get a touch vs NCSt or yesterday. I wouldn't consider either of them getting prime time.

Ryan Nassib had as many carries as Morris his redshirt year. Pugh and Chibane both started every game their second year in the program, one as a RS, Chibane played specials his freshmen year. Same deal for Mackey a year later. Trudo started from the opening game his RS year.

Smith was the second leading rusher his second year in the program in 2011, had 37 carries. PTG was the 2nd back until he got hurt that season. West was the fourth WR as a redshirt freshmen.

Marrone and Hackett definitely would have done better, (or they would have had a plausible excuse).

I feel like Robin Williams at the end of Good Will Hunting.

??????

"It's not your fault"??

Estime dropped a pass that hit him in he chest. Moore dropped a Td pass, one ball got batted down (bc Foy got beat like a drum) and Hunt had at least one throw away. That's 4 incs and a missed TD that shouldn't be on Hunt.

And Phil's belief that left 3 tds on the field in the first half is non sense. The one to west he missed by a few inches and doubtfully would've been six. The one to Broyld he missed; but, he was pressured and starting to run it when he let it go, he wasnt set at all. The third one i don't know what you're talking about.

By the way, the deep balls, I recall all on third and long. Gmacs just desperately calling for a bomb and hoping for a prayer. Why are we in third and long so much?

THe deep ball is also the most overrated play in football. Low percentage play. It would be nice if GMac could work the 10-20 uard intermediate game and underneath stuff . The patterns seem to be of poor design.

Last edited:
I think it's true that the offense is trying to do too many things.

Way too many formations and too much confusion out there.

Having said that I am pleased with the adjustments made in the second half and I was happy with the way Hunt threw long.

I think Coach Mac will be fine.

Let's win three!!!

the Broyld pass was a clear td. the others he never gave the rcvr a chance to catch, maybe not TDs but shots a big gains amd the 2 PI calls as well. Price the guy with experience threw more bad passes than Hunt , its not like we have guys running wide open but you have to make them catchable more often on the deep balls.

Where did I say he shouldn't get time?
That's not what's in question, but you know that.

You're openly critical of Cool Kid very early in his tenure after being vocal that such criticism was damaging to the program very recently - why now?

I think it's true that the offense is trying to do too many things.

Way too many formations and too much confusion out there.

Having said that I am pleased with the adjustments made in the second half and I was happy with the way Hunt threw long.

I think Coach Mac will be fine.

Let's win three!!!

That's what I have been coming away with as well. I have been very pleased with his halftime adjustments, which imo is extremely critical, and a real positive sign going forward. NC ST and Clemson he also made good 2nd half adjustments.

Everyone has to remember he doesn't have much to work with. Sure he could always do a better job of adapting better to his current personnel, but that's the price we play for bringing in a inexperienced OC. With that said I think his recruiting prowess more then makes up for the bumps and bruises we are taking as he learns on the job. We are 2-2 in the ACC, with losses to 2 of the top 5 teams in the conference. It's not like we were going to threaten for the division this year anyways. Let's let him gain experience and bring in some talented kids to plug in. I have had my sights set on 2015 as the year we can make some noise. By then he will have 2 full seasons of experience, a bunch of upperclassmen with a ton of game experience, and some talented prospects who have already got their feet wet.