Kool Kid is awful | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Kool Kid is awful

What?

Against KSt they went for 259 running, 239 passing an 36 pts.

Against WVU they ran for 369 yds, passed for 142 and two TD's and ran 90 plays.

How are either of those miserable?

He said the offense performed miserably stat wise in 2010 OTHER than the Pinstripe Bowl.

The 2010 offense was good for one or two great drives per game. Saturday looked like a classic 2010 type win.

lol. Im bored. But i really enjoy other people's views and opinions. They may see things that i dont see and vice versa.

Totally agree. One of my favorite things to do is talk Syracuse sports. If everyone agreed what fun what that be? I definitely love everyone's point of views, no matter if I agree or not. The best part is everyone discusses these things for the love of Syracuse football. Nothing better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

It reminds me of the thanksgiving dinner table with my brother, cousins, son etc. Lots of SU talk and disagreements. It's all good.

Until somebody threw the mashed potatoes and a fight broke out ;)

He said the offense performed miserably stat wise in 2010 OTHER than the Pinstripe Bowl.

The 2010 offense was good for one or two great drives per game. Saturday looked like a classic 2010 type win.
i don't know how he made that mistake. unless he's rainman, he had to have looked up those games and gone to different seasons to get them

Totally agree. One of my favorite things to do is talk Syracuse sports. If everyone agreed what fun what that be? I definitely love everyone's point of views, no matter if I agree or not. The best part is everyone discusses these things for the love of Syracuse football. Nothing better!

Sent from my iPhone using -
exactly Anomander

It reminds me of the thanksgiving dinner table with my brother, cousins, son etc. Lots of SU talk and disagreements. It's all good.

Hahaha exactly. If you were to walk into one of our family sports debate you would be scared to death. You wouldnt know if we were gonna fight or not. lol. just passionate sports fans thats all.

uh not in 2010 they didn't

The response to a statement about a miserable statistical performance in the Pinstripe bowl without being specific about which one.

I didn't say anything about the 2010 WVU game.

I don't think we've established anything. There's no available evidence. Basically 1 offensive TD is an awful low bar. By your logic, Marrone must not have recruited anything on offense. Now we have to again wait until another coach gets his players in place?

Sorry, late to the party.

We've established through this discussion and the play on the field that Marrone/Hackett recruited for their system. That system involves out scheming opponents, a smart accurate QB, and skilled route runners (at the expense of straight up speed/elusiveness). GM is using Ashton and Brisly the most, because he seems to favor elite athletes in space - with an emphasis on short passes and a spread out attack.

Now, there are a lack of proven playmakers to fit GM's system (that's why the recruiting is playmaker heavy) and while Marrone had recruited his smart, accurate QB (who is like 8th string at TCU or something) - GM was left without the perfect fit at QB.

All of that being said - the short bubble screens and lack of inside Jerome runs, points to an offense that is bits and pieces of a mix between last year's scheme and GM's bent. Throw in a first year starter and you get an ugly, slow - rebuilding - year on O.

So, yes - we are what we are and we're waiting for another coach to get his players on the field.

Lucky for us, the man can recruit those players.

The response to a statement about a miserable statistical performance in the Pinstripe bowl without being specific about which one.

You read the post wrong, he said "other then" the pinstripe bowl games. So he is saying the 2012 offense was pretty bad save for the Pinstripe bowl game. I would disagree with this based on the Lville, NW, and Mizzou games.

you took the kstate game from 2010 and the WVU game from 2012

You read the post wrong, he said "other then" the pinstripe bowl games. So he is saying the 2012 offense was pretty bad save for the Pinstripe bowl game. I would disagree with this based on the Lville, NW, and Mizzou games.

you and GO both need to read the freaking post, we are talking 2010 offense and I said other than the Pinstripe Bowl that offense really sucked. No mention of 2012.

again, if you try to compare any offense that Syracuse had put on the field in the past 10 years other than last years, you are comparing stink versus stink. Like my 87 Dodge Omni I had as a kid versus the 89 I picked up when I was in college! They both blew

you and GO both need to read the freaking post, we are talking 2010 offense and I said other than the Pinstripe Bowl that offense really sucked. No mention of 2012.

again, if you try to compare any offense that Syracuse had put on the field in the past 10 years other than last years, you are comparing stink versus stink. Like my 87 Dodge Omni I had as a kid versus the 89 I picked up when I was in college! They both blew
jesus h people, everyone agrees last year's offense was good

I think its pretty clear the 2010 offense wasnt going to garner any comparisons to the early 90's Florida fun and gun teams. The issue is talent plain and simple. There are zero WR's on the roster or who are at least playing that scare anyone or game breakers other then maybe Estime who as a true freshman cant be expected to carry the load. Combine that with odd playcalling, bad to horrific QB play, and inconsistent efforts from the TE position and you pretty much have the Syracuse offense for the last 15 years. The one year (2012) we actually had two Div 1 level caliber WR's (Lemon and Sales) and average to above average QB play, the offense was the best it had been since Mcnabb, coincidence?

I think its pretty clear the 2010 offense wasnt going to garner any comparisons to the early 90's Florida fun and gun teams. The issue is talent plain and simple. There are zero WR's on the roster or who are at least playing that scare anyone or game breakers other then maybe Estime who as a true freshman cant be expected to carry the load. Combine that with odd playcalling, bad to horrific QB play, and inconsistent efforts from the TE position and you pretty much have the Syracuse offense for the last 15 years. The one year (2012) we actually had two Div 1 level caliber WR's (Lemon and Sales) and average to above average QB play, the offense was the best it had been since Mcnabb, coincidence?

Who would argue that? I certainly would not. One never knows why an old staff recruited a certain kid, where they were going to be used. I think West would have added weight and played TE at Stanford but it is what it is. We have yet another OC and we need to wait and see and hopefully if he is something worth sticking around for that we can keep him. If you look at the Northeast coordinators there certainly has been a ridiculous turnover between UCONN, BC, Syracuse, WVU, Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland, you wonder why they all stink.

Also pretty good against SF and UConn.

Sorry, late to the party.

We've established through this discussion and the play on the field that Marrone/Hackett recruited for their system. That system involves out scheming opponents, a smart accurate QB, and skilled route runners (at the expense of straight up speed/elusiveness). GM is using Ashton and Brisly the most, because he seems to favor elite athletes in space - with an emphasis on short passes and a spread out attack.

Now, there are a lack of proven playmakers to fit GM's system (that's why the recruiting is playmaker heavy) and while Marrone had recruited his smart, accurate QB (who is like 8th string at TCU or something) - GM was left without the perfect fit at QB.

All of that being said - the short bubble screens and lack of inside Jerome runs, points to an offense that is bits and pieces of a mix between last year's scheme and GM's bent. Throw in a first year starter and you get an ugly, slow - rebuilding - year on O.

So, yes - we are what we are and we're waiting for another coach to get his players on the field.

Lucky for us, the man can recruit those players.
marrone did not recruit nassib. he also did not recruit pugh, sales, or lemon. marrone came here gangbusters. when he decided things weren't going his way he bailed, that's it. the guy is no savior.

marrone did not recruit nassib. he also did not recruit pugh, sales, or lemon. marrone came here gangbusters. when he decided things weren't going his way he bailed, that's it. the guy is no savior.

True on the recruiting front - but you can't argue that he maximized their talent - and that their talent matched how he wanted to play/scheme.

I didn't say his approach was always successful - or that it was better or worse than GM's. Just that they have different philosophies and therefore need different players to run their stuff.

I'm still mystified why anyone thinks Broyld is some special talent. He may be, but what have we seen from him that legitimately merits that? This open field elusiveness, yet to be seen. Speed? I haven't seen us take a shot deep to him all year.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but he looks like another granite handed hope.

I'm still mystified why anyone thinks Broyld is some special talent. He may be, but what have we seen from him that legitimately merits that? This open field elusiveness, yet to be seen. Speed? I haven't seen us take a shot deep to him all year.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but he looks like another granite handed hope.

I tend to agree, way overhyped. I would like him to see do something in a game before I anoint him the next whoever!. It's actually really quite ridiculous

As for Broyld, he's the #1 target and teams know it. There is no doubt he has to continue to work on his hands and routes and to me I think he is an excellent 2nd receiver but is playing #1 right now. I want to see him in space because it just seems once he touches the ball there are a score of defensive players around him. I'm not sure Estime is a #1 either...yet. But, if SU can land a #1 WR, there is no doubt in my mind (as long as the o-line does its job) the two I mentioned will see huge benefits of that talented #1.

I dont know what you guys are seeing. LOL for the last 4 or 5 years Ive seen the better athletes on defense and offense with medicre athletes. The players on offense are play within the system type players. Marrone did not recruit well in the skill player category. We have no mike williams on offense so dont expect huge offensive performances. The reason why we were good on offense last year because we had a 4 year experienced QB, 2 4 year experienced WR's, 3 3 year experienced OL and a 3 year TE. Lemon and Sales became play makers because of their experience. They were not superior athletes and I dont think AC, B Lewis, J West, C Clark are either. Ashton and Estime are but they are still learning the WR position. Kobena is not a true WR either. If our WR's were so good then all the throws would not be going to 2 unexperieced first year WR's. Ashton leads the team in catches lol..

I think this goes with the style of recruiting.

Marrone always wanted a power run team combined with a short passing game and a physical, fast defense. He also always viewed Syracuse as a developmental school that will rely on its upperclassmen. He wanted the better athletes on the defensive end b/c he viewed he could scheme an offense with avg D-1 athletes (which we didn't have when he arrived) to score enough if the defense holds up its end.

So, I think the team, with Marrone at the helm, would be running the ball 2 times more then this one (and maybe more). This team, under Marrone, would have Smith, Gulley, Morris and McFarlane (and then you look at maybe Gus Edwards if he stayed) and would pound, pound, pound. Use the play-action passing game to get West and Kobena open (and maybe Funderburke) and take pressure off a true frosh QB named Zach Allen.

You won't get an argument from me that the talent from the 2 schemes (Hackett to McDonald) do not fit. I also think it is hard to say no Mike Williams, so he didn't recruit well in the skill player category. Many teams go decades without a player like Mike Williams.

As for Broyld, he's the #1 target and teams know it. There is no doubt he has to continue to work on his hands and routes and to me I think he is an excellent 2nd receiver but is playing #1 right now. I want to see him in space because it just seems once he touches the ball there are a score of defensive players around him. I'm not sure Estime is a #1 either...yet. But, if SU can land a #1 WR, there is no doubt in my mind (as long as the o-line does its job) the two I mentioned will see huge benefits of that talented #1.

I think a #1 WR in college football is a lot like an ace in major league baseball.

How many teams truly have a #1 WR? I would say the answer is somewhere b/w 8 and 12 teams.

True. But, Marrone recruited every other member of that offensive line... And to say Marrone did nothing for developing those guys is another big step.

Does anyone really think Nassib, Sales or Lemon would have been as good under G-Rob for 4 years?