Lack of a D1 point guard... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lack of a D1 point guard...

Hughes was terrible as well. He slipped on a wet spot on the floor. They are regressing at the wrong time.

I think he rolled his ankle. I'm guessing he's sprained his ankle a few too many times, and now he turns them from time to time with no real 'event' forcing it.

There’s a talent deficit across the board. But keep the faith - Gerry will be reeling in the big fish soon.

He's got to show us something. Either on the recruiting front or coaching up the kids we have. This is a results-oriented business.

Frank was abysmal and Carey looks like an elementary kid Learning to drive for the first time. I dont know what's going on with him but hes regressed to the point where he doesn't look like a D1 player out there
I can not agree more with you but at least tonight when the players on the floor were dead I would have given Carey some playing time. I honestly think he is on pins and needles when he goes out there knowing one mistake and he is yanked. Frank was off, Buddy was not helping us, and we were sliding backwards.

I think he rolled his ankle. I'm guessing he's sprained his ankle a few too many times, and now he turns them from time to time with no real 'event' forcing it.

He looked completely out of it, that's for sure.

He's got to show us something. Either on the recruiting front or coaching up the kids we have. This is a results-oriented business.

He got us that foul call on the Pitt kid who kept ninja kicking our guys while he shot 3’s.

Quit with the excuses guys. Frank is very limited. We will lose more games with him at the point than any other PG under JB. This isn't the first time he has fallen off the horse. LOL. He is the worst PG I've seen here besides Kaleb. It's frustrating we can't recruit a point like Torrance.

It’s a running meme on this board, but yes, to your point it’s on the staff to bring in the necessary talent. Talent cures most ills.

Also, lol at blaming the assistants.

Who gets the credit for Kentucky’s recruits? Duke’s? Hell...Washington’s?

Picking on GMac is lame.

He got us that foul call on the Pitt kid who kept ninja kicking our guys while he shot 3’s.

Did FSU try anymore in the second half tonight? That one was so frickin blatant I can't believe the ref didn't see it.

Hey SWC75 , can you ask JB if he's thought about bringing that up in the weekly ACC conference call? (Assuming they still do that). And no, I can't call myself. I'm in Seattle this week and the show is during work hours.

Quit with the excuses guys. Frank is very limited. We will lose more games with him at the point than any other PG under JB. This isn't the first time he has fallen off the horse. LOL. He is the worst PG I've seen here besides Kaleb. It's frustrating we can't recruit a point like Torrance.

You around for the James Thues days?

Picking on GMac is lame.

Boeheim do what Boeheim do. The variables over the years have been the assistants.

Sure he is limited in some ways, but he certainly helped more last season.

Picking on GMac is lame.
If the HC can boeheim players then why can’t we boeheim someone on the staff? Obviously the issues go beyond 1 staff member.

Boeheim do what Boeheim do. The variables over the years have been the assistants.

It’s a staff effort, with the head guy being the head guy.

Obviously Hopkins made a name as a strong recruiter and so did Weaver.

But we’ve got 3 assistants and a head coach...why is it always GMac catching crap?

Definitely not. He wasn't in when we went from down 2 to down 20. I think ppl hate it cause he will go 3-4 for 3, make some nice passes...then kick the ball off his feet 5 out of 8 possessions. Disappointing that he never will put it together. I get he was hurt during the offseason but he just seems like the same player as last year. Only difference is we arent stuck with him when he is really bad.
He is definitely NOT the same player he was last year.

If the HC can boeheim players then why can’t we boeheim someone on the staff? Obviously the issues go beyond 1 staff member.

Just seems weird. Hop is getting all the credit for recruiting well at Washington, right? Not some assistant?

But we’ve got 3 assistants and a head coach...why is it always GMac catching crap?

In this instance, he's the one also coaching the guards. Let's see some progress on at least one front and I'll cut him some slack.

I don't want to derail the thread but I see the makeup of this staff and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is made uncomfortable by it. First thought that comes to mind is cronyism. Are these three the "best people" as our president likes to say? It's certainly more comfortable for Boeheim. These are guys absolutely loyal to him. But is it better for the program? And I know that it's been this way for a while but that seems to have also coincided with this stretch of mediocre regular seasons. There are no doubt other bigger reasons for this but this doesn't seem to be helping.

Last edited:
I tried as much as I could to be patient with Frank early because of his injury. Even complimented his instincts and experience on D.

But at this point we need to consider that he’s just not very good. And that we don’t have an alternative behind him.

You can create a stats-based defense for FH as we’ve seen by A/T ratio and last year’s performance.

But that ignores the fact that he can’t do what good PGs do: blow past defenders, find cracks in a D, kick the ball out.

And yes, I can’t get too enthusiastic about my earlier praise for his D.

In this instance, he's the one also coaching the guards. Let's see some progress on at least one front and I'll cut him some slack.

Well Tyus is the best player on the team and he’s a guard so...

I tried as much as I could to be patient with Frank early because of his injury. Even complimented his instincts and experience on D.

But at this point we need to consider that he’s just not very good. And that we don’t have an alternative behind him.

You can create a stats-based defense for FH as we’ve seen by A/T ratio and last year’s performance.

But that ignores the fact that he can’t do what good PGs do: blow past defenders, find cracks in a D, kick the ball out.

And yes, I can’t get too enthusiastic about my earlier praise for his D.

I don't need him to blow past defenders. I'd just like to see him try more than once every other game. He dribbles sideways too much. Doesn't cut when he doesn't have the ball, just floats to an area where he's unlikely to do anything other than watch, and he can't feed the post to save his life.

Because there’s this perception that JB chose to promote an unproven Gmac instead of doing a national search for a proven recruiter. He’s all in on Gerry, Red and griff and we still can’t recruit point guards or big men even when we have immediate playing time to sell.

He is definitely NOT the same player he was last year.
I don't really want to bash him but there were a few games like this last year. Last year he had like themes in a game...there was the lob game at Duke, one of the games he missed like every front end of 1 and 1 and the falling on the ground game. He had higher high's last year but he couldn't get pulled and we also scored 50 points a game.

Just not a PG -- a player with good instincts and can make nice passes, hit an open j -- but has no natural position. Seems like we tried to recreate MCW with him to no avail, I always felt that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom