Lack of a D1 point guard... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lack of a D1 point guard...

Frank looked like Leonard Hamilton hypnotized him before the tip and he was a walking zombie. What happened to him tonight. He was a no show on both ends.

At least frank didnt fall down on a breakaway. This isnt all on him...

frank was an abomination tonite. but hes been a lazy player for 4 years, especially on defense defending the 3, so i shouldnt be surprised.

heres how frank plays d...im gonna back off you and dare you to shoot a 3 cuz you aint making it...oh snap he made it. ok im gonna back off and dare you to shoot anothet 3 cuz you aint making 2 in a row. oh snap...

Nahh. He doesn't give anyone a second three. But he does make everyone get their first before coming outside the three point line. Need to pretend to defend that pass to the foul line...

The most natural point guard on the team is redshirting in Washington.

Yup. I’m hoping he’s making the most of being able to practice again and then has a great offseason and comes in ready to help next year. The opportunity would really appear to be there for him. He’ll be a 3rd year guy who will need to beat out a freshman and a guy whose not a PG.

"It wasn't just him, everyone stunk," they will say.

Need better players at all positions, but it all starts at PG.

Washingtons not a long term or even a short term answer. Hes likely to transfer as hes already been recruited over.

I’m not convinced of any of that.

At the absolute minimum he should be able to go in there, dribble and pass effectively, know what he’s doing, and not kill you.

Yup. I’m hoping he’s making the most of being able to practice again and then has a great offseason and comes in ready to help next year. The opportunity would really appear to be there for him. He’ll be a 3rd year guy who will need to beat out a freshman and a guy whose not a PG.
Limited time last year but reminded me of Ennis. Much, much less skilled overall especially shooting but the overall “player comparison”.

I’m not convinced of any of that.

At the absolute minimum he should be able to go in there, dribble and pass effectively, know what he’s doing, and not kill you.
I don't think that's going to be good enough.

Butler wanted him right? Buffalo too?

He’s not a scrub.

Just because he’s not a 6’5 guy who can do trick dunks with no defense doesn’t mean he can’t play.

Frank howard folds when there is pressure d. Washington seems to have solid handle. No reason to believe he cannot be a reliable option.

Boeheim probably doesn't want to hear nepotism whispers, but I think Buddy should get inserted into the starting lineup if Frank's poor play continues. They're past the injury. Play has been detrimental to the team.
I can agree with this, however when Buddy is missing his shots and we are turning everything over I would have liked to see Carey get a run. Buddy has been a real plus to us in several games but he had the same shooting misery tonight all our 3 point shooters experienced. Do something different.

...is our major issue on a team with a number of issues.

Despite knee-jerk defenses by people who ought to know better, that is our main problem.
There’s a talent deficit across the board. But keep the faith - Gerry will be reeling in the big fish soon. ;-)

Last edited:
Definitely not. He wasn't in when we went from down 2 to down 20. I think ppl hate it cause he will go 3-4 for 3, make some nice passes...then kick the ball off his feet 5 out of 8 possessions. Disappointing that he never will put it together. I get he was hurt during the offseason but he just seems like the same player as last year. Only difference is we arent stuck with him when he is really bad.

Hughes was terrible as well. He slipped on a wet spot on the floor. They are regressing at the wrong time.

Please recruit a real PG and not more combo guards who we think we can teach to handle the ball.

Gbinije turned into a serviceable point out of pure necessity and it seems like we've been chasing that model ever since. At some point, the coaches have to get guys to play the point or develop them. Right now we're doing neither.

Hughes was terrible as well. He slipped on a wet spot on the floor. They are regressing at the wrong time.

That wet spot only seemed to hurt us, for some odd reason...he wasnt the only one who did an imitation of me being drunk, lol.

Frank howard folds when there is pressure d. Washington seems to have solid handle. No reason to believe he cannot be a reliable option.

Solid handle and solid PG instincts for making the right pass and not playing dumb, from what I saw.

That at least makes me wonder if he’ll be a factor. I don’t hate that he’ll be at least 20 next year and at least 22 by his senior year. Guys like Scoop and Andy were older guard by the time they were done here and that helped them.

Did a guy like Scoop got “recruited over” when we brought in Triche , Waiters, and MCW(and consider Flynn was better than him in his same class). He was out there running point his last 2 years though and had a rock solid senior year for one of the best teams in school history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom