LaRay Smith has 3 finalists | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LaRay Smith has 3 finalists

Is Oregon U in Corvallis? Weird place, tough to get to from Portland. Not sure why he would want to go there unless he has west coast ties. Only thing I liked there was their smoked pacific salmon.
Have you seen the facilities? Phil Knight has put so much money into that campus and the athletic facilities. Also, for a kid who loves track, Oregon has to be one of those elite dream schools. Oh, and their football team hasn't been too bad over the last few years.

From earlier today:
Massive concrete pillars to hold together the $68 million operations center that Nike’s Phil Knight is building for the University of Oregon football program are shooting up next to Autzen Stadium.

Football coach Chip Kelly will have a private hot tub next to his office with a waterproofed video center, so he can watch games while taking a soak.
---
Crazy to think how SU has to fight for a few million for a locker room remodel.

Have you seen the facilities? Phil Knight has put so much money into that campus and the athletic facilities. Also, for a kid who loves track, Oregon has to be one of those elite dream schools. Oh, and their football team hasn't been too bad over the last few years.

What do the SU track facilities look like? Oregon has a track specific stadium in the middle of campus.

4.jpg

What do the SU track facilities look like? Oregon has a track specific stadium in the middle of campus.

4.jpg
They also hosted the US Olympic trials there. People from the town actually come out to specifically watch track. It's part of the culture in Eugene.

They also hosted the US Olympic trials there. People from the town actually come out to specifically watch track. It's part of the culture in Eugene.

My aunt and uncle are both long time runners and were out in Eugene a couple weeks ago specifically for that. They said the track facilities are great, the football facilities are top notch, but Autzen Stadium is deceptively small. "You walk in the stadium and think where is the rest of it?"

Plus, sprinters are the most jacked athletes per pound. Those guys are all muscle. (Don't even get me started on the sprint chicks...wow.)

Yep, Eugene is known as "Tracktown USA" and it is a mecca for track athletes.

It just doesn't seem that Oregon is going to use up a football scholarship on a running back far down on their pecking order so that he can run track. And it seems that they are not looking to bring him in as only a track athlete, or possibly, he definitely wants to compete in both football and track. It just doesn't look like it is going to happen at Oregon.

4.jpg
Well, we had a really nice indoor track facility at Manley that was lost when it was converted into an indoor football practice facility.

The good news (maybe) is that the track and field team will get it back when SU builds the new indoor football practice facility. Not sure what the plans are down the road for Manley.

The bad news is that the new indoor practice facility is on the site of the current outdoor track and field facility. Don't know what is going to be done about that (maybe convert Coyne to be a field hockey/outdoor track and field facility?).

Oh crud, who do they have on their radar? Is Laray near the top of their list?
Just looking on scout there's roughly 12 guys ranked higher that they are recruiting. I don't have any idea where they stand with any of them however.

Just looking on scout there's roughly 12 guys ranked higher that they are recruiting. I don't have any idea where they stand with any of them however.
Wow, all running backs seemingly ahead of Laray? That could take some time to sort out. If he is looking to choose anytime in the next month or two, he may not be able to at Tennessee.

Thanks bnoro! I was starting to get bored reading all about Oregon's track complex.

Bnoro is spot on, just like another NYC's prospects recruitment last year (Wayne Morgan) as more time goes by the better SU's chances are.

Scout is reporting SU is the leader for Laray

We're sitting #1. Laray hasn't talked to UT a lot. Oregon has 2 RB recruits, a 4* and a 5*. Don't think he'll get an Oregon offer. Once he visits here and Oregon doesn't offer he'll most likely be ours.

I sure hope so as I think this kid is a potential TD any time he touches the ball, especially if he can get the ball in space.

I know it's Track and Field, but Laray competed in the Jr. Olympic Track and Field competition in Baltimore. So how did he do...

400 Meter Dash Young Men
================================================================
Nat'l: N 45.58 7/6/1996 William Obea Moore, Salt Lake
JO Meet: J 45.63 7/30/1995 Jerome Young, Hartford, CT
Name Year Team Finals
Finals
1 Chambers, Marcus 94 13-Seatown E 46.18
2 Page, Champ 94 16-Track Express TC 47.16
3 Smith, Laray 94 01-Unattached 47.67
4 Parks, Nicholas 93 03-Titans TC 47.97
5 Hemphill, Keith 94 05-Cleveland 48.14
6 Davis, Brian 94 03-Carolina 48.20
7 Swinton, Grant 95 03-Tachyon TC 48.26
8 Qualls, Quinntyn 94 07-Indiana Storm TC 48.66

I know it's Track and Field, but Laray competed in the Jr. Olympic Track and Field competition in Baltimore. So how did he do...

400 Meter Dash Young Men
Nat'l: N 45.58 7/6/1996 William Obea Moore, Salt Lake
JO Meet: J 45.63 7/30/1995 Jerome Young, Hartford, CT
Name Year Team Finals
Finals
1 Chambers, Marcus 94 13-Seatown E 46.18
2 Page, Champ 94 16-Track Express TC 47.16
3 Smith, Laray 94 01-Unattached 47.67
4 Parks, Nicholas 93 03-Titans TC 47.97
5 Hemphill, Keith 94 05-Cleveland 48.14
6 Davis, Brian 94 03-Carolina 48.20
7 Swinton, Grant 95 03-Tachyon TC 48.26
8 Qualls, Quinntyn 94 07-Indiana Storm TC 48.66
he will be a great addition to a rapidly improving SU track program and a steadily improving SU football program :)

Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille)
7/31/12 7:55 PM
Xaverian's Laray Smith tells @NYPost_Staszews he has no leader, despite reports. Story coming. #chsaafootball

From the NY Post article Laray talking aboiut Syracuse.

“I wouldn’t base my decision on friends going to the same school,” he said. “It makes me feel more comfortable. If I would go to that school I know I’ll have people. I know I wouldn’t feel left out.”
I hope Laray keeps that in mind if he visits Oregon and Auburn.