LaRay Smith has 3 finalists | Syracusefan.com

LaRay Smith has 3 finalists

Oregon is yet to offer. Their fans are calling for Laray as their "3rd RB" option to get an offer. Wonder if he'd spurn all of the football suitors for a full track schollie somewhere, even if it isn't Oregon.

I'm guessing Cuse, Oregon and Uconn(?).

I would be surprised if it wasn't ... feel pretty good on this kid (I do not think Oregon will offer)

Is he a "real" football player or just a sprinter who plays football? Does he shy away from contact or does he relish it?

Lots of fast guys out there who play football against 190 pound linebackers and 160 pound DBs and do great, but all of a sudden they get to college and go up against 210 pound DBs and 250 pound linebackers and their enthusiasm for football evaporates.

Is he a "real" football player or just a sprinter who plays football? Does he shy away from contact or does he relish it?

Lots of fast guys out there who play football against 190 pound linebackers and 160 pound DBs and do great, but all of a sudden they get to college and go up against 210 pound DBs and 250 pound linebackers and their enthusiasm for football evaporates.

from his own comments in interviews I would lean to the former v the latter in regards to Laray. I think he has said he wants to run track in college and it is a major part of his recruitment

Or, he could just love both sports.

I would be surprised if it wasn't ... feel pretty good on this kid (I do not think Oregon will offer)

Agreed. He's got the kind of speed that SU, a team in desperate need of playmaking threats, really needs.

I'd assume that he's far down in Oregon's recruiting pecking order if they haven't offered already.

That's a good question is he a Bob Hayes, James Jett type of guy or is he a Justin Gatlin

I think that Hershal was pretty good at both

FYI, SU just had its first individual NCAA crowned national champion in track and field in May. SU track and field HC Chris Fox is one of the best coaches in the country.

Linkage

No doubt about it. Chris is more of a distance guy, but it's incredible that Syracuse could develop an indoor sprint national champion. The job that Chris has done is nothing short of spectacular - as of today, he's Gross's best hire.

Smith would do well to run for SU, assuming Marrone is comfortable with that. (As an aside, one of Pasqualoni's biggest head-scratchers was prohibiting kids from running track, starting in the mid-'90s. We'd long had success attracting Qadry Ismail types; I know that year-round football training is valuable, but so is allowing kids to pursue another interest. The loss of the two-sport opportunity certainly scared away some talented recruits.)

I know we've had guys on the track team fairly recently...Merkerson comes to mind.

I know we've had guys on the track team fairly recently...Merkerson comes to mind.

Ah, I'd forgotten about him. Nice kid.

Makes sense that Marrone would be cool with kids running indoor; that's how things were when he played here.

Ah, I'd forgotten about him. Nice kid.

Makes sense that Marrone would be cool with kids running indoor; that's how things were when he played here.
Don't forget that Tyrone Wheatley was an All-American hurdler at Michigan. He did both indoor and outdoor track and should be able to develop a relationship with Smith and provide him with insight on the challenges of combining football and track.

Is Oregon U in Corvallis? Weird place, tough to get to from Portland. Not sure why he would want to go there unless he has west coast ties. Only thing I liked there was their smoked pacific salmon.

Is Oregon U in Corvallis? Weird place, tough to get to from Portland. Not sure why he would want to go there unless he has west coast ties. Only thing I liked there was their smoked pacific salmon.

Oregon is in Eugene. And Oregon recruits guys who are fast. And Laray Smith is fast.

That is some impressive speed.
I just have a hard time buying into the comp level in his state. I am sure he will be a good college player (since he is so fast) but vision is what separates running backs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom