Larranaga Wants Public Disclosure of NIL Deals | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Larranaga Wants Public Disclosure of NIL Deals

Perhaps it's too early to tell what will happen, but it seems to me that schools with the wealthiest alumni have the upper hand. I think more kids than not will elect to go where the money is. I think it's a very unbalanced situation. Too much ego involved on the alumni side.
The best players have been going where the money is since college sports became a business.

Well, that would probably be every Ivy Team, lol. I suspect they have the richest alumni on average.
The Ivys decided in the late 40's or early 50's that they were getting out of big-time athletics. And they've stuck to their guns for the past 70 years.

I'm also not sure I get the Miami sugar daddy NIL disrupting things or whatever. Miami was a 5 seed this year. They were pretty good. They weren't this dominant powerhouse. They were also on the verge of being knocked out in round 1 before they pulled it together. A 5 seed making the FF is an example of how NIL is going to ruin parity?

Plus, like, when I was a kid Duke made the FF every season. When my dad was a kid, UCLA won 7 national titles in a row. Doing no research at all, it would seem to me the last decade or whatever has seen more parity (however you want to determine it) in terms of FF participants and winners than most periods in the past.
One thing that is not generally known is that back in the day, UCLA recruited lots of players (I heard 40 plus) before the NCAA limited scholarships to 15. I dread the day when SU is just the equivalent of the Syracuse "Chiefs" for the NBA or the NFL The players will not get an education, making the whole thing stupid. That's when I'm out. We are getting close now with the salaries of coaches. They are gym teachers. They don't care about the fan who attends games. Like making the Wake Forest game an 8:00 start for a late November game. The stadium was half empty. That's my rant. I can see SU players endorsing the recycling business. I can see it now, an SU player telling folks to "bring your junker to Adam". I am not against Mr. Weitzman efforts

The Ivys decided in the late 40's or early 50's that they were getting out of big-time athletics. And they've stuck to their guns for the past 70 years.
I think the Ivy's got out of the "big money" athletics. They compete very well in Lacrosse, hockey and other non monetary sports.

Sure, but like any other university they can't stop an NIL deal going through. They might frown on it, but what would they do, expel the player? They can't pull their athletic scholarship because they don't have one.

Sure, but like any other university they can't stop an NIL deal going through. They might frown on it, but what would they do, expel the player? They can't pull their athletic scholarship because they don't have one.
The point is, they refuse to get into the business of big-time basketball and, especially, football recruiting.

Stanford should be a major player in this.

I’m told Larry and Sergey have a love child named Bard who, by the time he reaches 18, will never miss from inside 40 feet and can play a swarming, 1-bot zone for 40 minutes and never foul or get fatigued.

Last edited:
Larranaga is 100% right. The best way to handle these new dynamics is to get everything out in the open. Complete and total transparency.

There's no reason not to do that, aside from bad actors wanting to obscure their bad actions.
Exactly.

The NIL isn't going away. It's only going to get bigger.

It would be a great idea if universities were proactive and introduced a required course for every athlete on scholarship and not about how money can make you secure in life or not if you are a spendthrift.

Take it from balancing a checkbook to How to Save Your Money / how to invest it / IRA's / The Stock Market etc., buying a house and owning it outright, buying apartments and have that monthly income. Everything to do with NIL funds taught by people who have been successful in life managing their money.

This should have been started sooner. I'd have enjoyed taking a course like this.

Larranaga's statement is so true; “I hope they get as many great deals as they can because I think eventually they have to learn how to handle money,” he said. “So at their young age, if they learn it, maybe they’ll find out. I don’t know how many of these guys are spending every cent they get, but I know a lot of NBA guys did that and ended up bankrupt. I think that’s a learning experience. That’s why you’re in college anyway.”

Glad he wrote about it. We'll see where this goes in the coming years but I think a course about how to handle your money would be a very wise idea and beneficial for all student athletes who will be involved.

I do not have a problem with nil. The issue I have is the collectives and boosters paying players large sums of money for almost nothing than playing.
It’s one thing for Coke, EA Sports, Nike or other business to have players endorse their products and the players receive compensation. It another for a player to receive millions of dollars to make a few social appearances in the community.
The collectives are the very definition of present day NIL. They have become NIL. The way NIL was suppose to work mentioned in court case arguments and what it has turned out to be is two different things. It's university, corporate and booster money going through backchannels paying players to play without regards to anything academic. It presently has no guard rails.

Plus, like, when I was a kid Duke made the FF every season. When my dad was a kid, UCLA won 7 national titles in a row. Doing no research at all, it would seem to me the last decade or whatever has seen more parity (however you want to determine it) in terms of FF participants and winners than most periods in the past.

Yes, but that was because of NIL as well, it was just even less transparent than now.

look at the final 4 right now...It's actually a breathe of fresh air when it's not just UK, KU and UNC always there. The portal and NIL have helped that. Kids are staying longer and moving to scenarios (especially a tier below) for playing time. I think all of it is refreshing tbh
It's not NIL, it's NBA basketball. Top HS Players aren't going to the bluebloods and staying 3 to 4 years any longer..they are either going NBA/G-league or just staying 1 year minimizing their talent at the top D1 programs.

One thing that is not generally known is that back in the day, UCLA recruited lots of players (I heard 40 plus) before the NCAA limited scholarships to 15. I dread the day when SU is just the equivalent of the Syracuse "Chiefs" for the NBA or the NFL The players will not get an education, making the whole thing stupid. That's when I'm out. We are getting close now with the salaries of coaches. They are gym teachers. They don't care about the fan who attends games. Like making the Wake Forest game an 8:00 start for a late November game. The stadium was half empty. That's my rant. I can see SU players endorsing the recycling business. I can see it now, an SU player telling folks to "bring your junker to Adam". I am not against Mr. Weitzman efforts
Pittsburgh did the same in Football, the Tony Dorest era!

UCLA under Wooden had a booster that paid its players. It gets swept under the rug (similar to Coach K and Duke) because the NCAA does not want to tarnish one of its "greats".

The point is, they refuse to get into the business of big-time basketball and, especially, football recruiting.

Wasn't your point about alumni and not the school itself?

When I was on school in the early 90s I saw players pull up to Acropolis at 2am in Jeep Grand Cherokees that were worth the real estate value of their entire block back home. Players have been getting “paid” forever, in one form or another. Another spoiler: a lot of them (not all) we’rent in school for the education.

Not much has changed, it’s just more in the open now.

Wasn't your point about alumni and not the school itself?
Regardless of alumni money, if the Ivy schools don't want to play in the big-time money-sports pool, they won't recruit 5 stars. And these days, to be 5 star, you have to concentrate on your athletics, so it would be very difficult to maintain the academic excellence that is required to get into an Ivy. A Bill Bradley doesn't come along very often.

The SEC freshman player of the year for the ladies LSU team, Johnson, has over a million $$$ in NIL money. Now, part of it is because she has become a nationally known rapper and has over a million followers on social media.

Stanford should be a major player in this.

I’m told Larry and Sergey have a love child named Bard who, by the time he reaches 18, will never miss from inside 40 feet and can play a swarming, 1-bot zone for 40 minutes and never foul or get fatigued.
Stanford’s fencing team is gonna rock.

When I was on school in the early 90s I saw players pull up to Acropolis at 2am in Jeep Grand Cherokees that were worth the real estate value of their entire block back home. Players have been getting “paid” forever, in one form or another. Another spoiler: a lot of them (not all) we’rent in school for the education.

Not much has changed, it’s just more in the open now.
The godfather himself Marvin Harrison drove around in a Lexus truck during my time on the Hill

Syracuse has been in the sewers as well.